Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

    Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    I like Christmas Pudding, though I agree that it is rather heavy after a big dinner. Always have it with either rum or brandy sauce. It used to be all home-made, but the puddings are shop-bought now my mum is no longer with us.

    Also mince pies. I also love them, but the very cheap ones often seem to have imo disappointing fillings. Home-made are best, but again we have to get shop-bought now mum is gone.
    I love mince pies !!

    We warm them in the microwave for about 5 seconds then cover with fresh cream !!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    Comment


    • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

      Plum pud was always a tradition in our house at Christmas when growing up. I can still smell mums puds. These day not so. As Christmas is mid summer here we usually have cold food.. either seafood or cold meat cuts.. ham.. turkey.. pork. Dessert therefore also is invariably cold. We really are neandertals you must be thinking.. not to have a hot Chrissie lunch/ dinner.

      Comment


      • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

        We enjoy hot and cold at Christmas, hot Xmas dinner then cold meats ham, turkey etc with all the usual delicious extras...pickles, sauces, beans, mash etc on boxing day..yum! Normally Xmas pudding as hubby feels it's traditional, but it's shop brought, though l normally prefer a cold pudding like trifle or flan with cream...l can feel the pounds piling on now

        Comment


        • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

          Another interesting pudding is Deacon Porter's Hat. It's American and is served at Mount Holyoke College on Founder's Day (8 November) rather than Christmas.

          https://alumnae.mtholyoke.edu/blog/d...s-hat-recipes/

          It's a very dark and rich pudding. Ideal for those who like lots of molasses. It doesn't contain alcohol so it doesn't need to be aged. Officially it's served with hard sauce but it can also be served with custard.

          Note: 1 cup is 8 US fluid ounces or 237 mL.

          Comment


          • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

            I used to have brandy or whisky butter with my mince pies. Some butter or margarine softened and mixed with sugar and then brandy or whisky, made it myself, but haven't had it for a while.

            Comment


            • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

              Originally posted by Jemima View Post
              We enjoy hot and cold at Christmas, hot Xmas dinner then cold meats ham, turkey etc with all the usual delicious extras...pickles, sauces, beans, mash etc on boxing day..yum! Normally Xmas pudding as hubby feels it's traditional, but it's shop brought, though l normally prefer a cold pudding like trifle or flan with cream...l can feel the pounds piling on now
              Good to see you back on the threads Jemima. Hey dont feel guilty girl. We all over indulge in this festive season. To do otherwise is just not cricket.

              Comment


              • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                So much stuff in the shops these days with which to decorate the home for christmas, a lot of it quite nice too but mixed in with a fair share of tat. As a kid it was balloons, paper chains and those crepe paper decs that concertina flat for storage. Just bought some really nice nutcracker figures and santa in sleigh...cool!
                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

                Comment


                • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                  Originally posted by tex View Post
                  So much stuff in the shops these days with which to decorate the home for christmas, a lot of it quite nice too but mixed in with a fair share of tat. As a kid it was balloons, paper chains and those crepe paper decs that concertina flat for storage. Just bought some really nice nutcracker figures and santa in sleigh...cool!
                  We made our own paper chains !!

                  Can you imagine the look on your kids faces now if you gave them a pile of coloured sheets and some glue !!


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

                  Comment


                  • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                    Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                    We made our own paper chains !!

                    Can you imagine the look on your kids faces now if you gave them a pile of coloured sheets and some glue !!
                    I used to do the same with cut up strips of old magazines, stick the ends together with Sellotape and then hang them up towards the ceiling - anything as long as it is colourful.

                    That reminds me of crepe paper - coloured strips, round up like a toilet roll. I used to see it all over the place in the 1980s (stationery shops, WHSmith, newsagents), but since the early 1990s no one sells it, and I doubt that it is even being made, and presumably cannot be found apart from eBay searches of course. In 1993 I asked at a local supermarket and newsagent and they probably didn't know what I was going on about.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

                    Comment


                    • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                      I remember making some of those simple decorations at school.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

                      Comment


                      • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                        Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                        Good to see you back on the threads Jemima. Hey dont feel guilty girl. We all over indulge in this festive season. To do otherwise is just not cricket.
                        You are so right Donald, not to indulge just wouldn't be right or proper

                        Comment


                        • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                          ....so do the board games come out? We generally buy a couple of new ones every christmas, we have loads of them which never see the light of day again after crimbo. You can buy "knockoff" versions of popular board games really cheap these days.
                          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

                          Comment


                          • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                            My family used to watch the Queen's Speech and wondering (more like hoping) whether it's her last. I totally lost faith in the Queen after the assassination of Princess Diana and believe that she was behind it and several other problems in the Royal Family.

                            I want an interregnum after London Bridge is Down to determine the exact future role of the Monarchy.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                              I watch the Queen almost every year at 3.00 pm without fail (it's only seven or eight minutes so it's no bother), but I would like to say that the "Queen's Speech" is what she does during the State Opening of Parliament, not on Christmas Day.

                              I would rather watch the Queen rather than the Queen Vic on Christmas Day if you know what I mean.
                              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

                              Comment


                              • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                                Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                                I watch the Queen almost every year at 3.00 pm without fail (it's only seven or eight minutes so it's no bother), but I would like to say that the "Queen's Speech" is what she does during the State Opening of Parliament, not on Christmas Day.

                                I would rather watch the Queen rather than the Queen Vic on Christmas Day if you know what I mean.
                                Interesting how we are both kinda controlled by our obsessive ways isn't it ??

                                Does it not bother you that her speech is written by the prime minister's people ?


                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X