Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corner shops.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: Corner shops.

    I wonder if kids still use corner shops like we used to? Sometimes I got as much fun out of buying little rubbish pocket money bits and bobs from the local shops as I did heading into town for bigger purchases. Bouncy balls, panini stickers, coloured pens, those orange plastic egg and bubble gum machines outside. Made my day.
    1976 Vintage

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: Corner shops.

      with the corner shops i remember us having in the last ten yrs i got talking to the people behind the counter and they said very few kids came in compared to the eighties like we did.


      Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
      I wonder if kids still use corner shops like we used to? Sometimes I got as much fun out of buying little rubbish pocket money bits and bobs from the local shops as I did heading into town for bigger purchases. Bouncy balls, panini stickers, coloured pens, those orange plastic egg and bubble gum machines outside. Made my day.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: Corner shops.

        Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
        I wonder if kids still use corner shops like we used to? Sometimes I got as much fun out of buying little rubbish pocket money bits and bobs from the local shops as I did heading into town for bigger purchases. Bouncy balls, panini stickers, coloured pens, those orange plastic egg and bubble gum machines outside. Made my day.
        There is a sweet shop on my local rank of shops, my 4 year old sees going there after the park (opposite our house) as a real treat. The interesting thing compared to our days is that the shop just sells sweets and drinks, the owner said that there's no money in newspapers or magazines let alone toys, so many kids get these from the weekly supermarket run that he's only sold sweets and drinks for two years. The local newsagent closed for similar reasons, so to get a comic or paper is a fifteen minute walk or a drive into town. From my perspective it's cheaper, my boy asks for these awful 5 'comic and tat' things when he sees them, i'd rather do a couple of weeks of 20p mixes and then get him a decent toy for a tenner every now and again.

        Worth noting that there's a high school on the same road, now those teens spend a fortune in there!
        I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: Corner shops.

          Corner shops aren't how we remember them.

          Now they seem to sell all sorts of everything, sweets, toiletries, food, cleaning products etc but charge a much higher price than the nearest well known supermarket.
          Lets put it this way, talking to the owner of a corner shop that I use which is about 3 miles away from the nearest mainstream supermarket......we inflate the prices coz it's easier for some people to come here and shop than travel to a supermarket.

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: Corner shops.

            corner shop i know it sells just sweets drinks and newspaprs.
            its not actually on a corner but still qualifies die to what it sells.
            but yes corner shops are not meant to sell everything.

            i can remember coming home from school there was a corner shop only a minute up the road i used to get sherbert dips and that stuff that crackled in your mouth.

            no toiletries etc.
            Last edited by darren; 21-04-2013, 00:26.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: Corner shops.

              When I was a kid my local sweet shop infact we had 2 on the same street turned back to houses in the late 70,s.The butcher is now a hairdresser,we had a post office once that closed down in the 70,s,which is now a house.Only thing left which stayed the same is the dentist.

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: Corner shops.

                When I was about 10, I used to love running down the street to the shop on the corner. Every week once my dad had given me some pocket money, I'd go to the little book shop and look through all the Goosebump books there! I decided to collect them all!! lol Every week I'd buy a different one I still have them and am gonna start a re read soon!

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: Corner shops.

                  Wow how nice are these mate.
                  can u send me one.heh.

                  i never really thought of corner shops doing books and how beautiful these look.
                  how many have you in total mate.
                  looks like these images on the front are raised.
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally posted by AmethystWitch View Post
                  When I was about 10, I used to love running down the street to the shop on the corner. Every week once my dad had given me some pocket money, I'd go to the little book shop and look through all the Goosebump books there! I decided to collect them all!! lol Every week I'd buy a different one I still have them and am gonna start a re read soon!
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: Corner shops.

                    I have books 1 - 30 and then 6 others which are random :S Not sure how I managed that, as I was trying to collect them in sequence! lol The covers are raised and that's another thing that attracted me to them! The colours and the artwork on the front! I'm also an art addict They're quite old now, so you can pick them up dead cheap on Ebay and Amazon etc

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: Corner shops.

                      getting told off for 'rooting around' in the ice cream cabinet lol-we couldnt help that we had to have that jubbly that was stuck right at the very bottom of the cabinetnearly fell completely into those ice cream cabinets several times lol-good memories i can mention of course are the varied 10p mix ups,mars bars for 12p,cans of sun charm or panda cola for 20p and the whole spectrum of other tasty treats that were kind on the stomach but not so kind on the teeth

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: Corner shops.

                        A lot of that stuff would be banned now.

                        In our corner shop called mackles its not changed a single bit in my lifetime same old scales can still order half a pound or quarter of a pound.
                        Still get them in paper bags.

                        Still have the big clear screw top containers going in u instantantly go back thirty yrs.


                        Originally posted by stuckinthepast77 View Post
                        getting told off for 'rooting around' in the ice cream cabinet lol-we couldnt help that we had to have that jubbly that was stuck right at the very bottom of the cabinetnearly fell completely into those ice cream cabinets several times lol-good memories i can mention of course are the varied 10p mix ups,mars bars for 12p,cans of sun charm or panda cola for 20p and the whole spectrum of other tasty treats that were kind on the stomach but not so kind on the teeth
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: Corner shops.

                          I have many memories of corner shops. My favourite was McDonnell's shop, we'd pass it on our way to school. It was actually the front room of a bungalow converted into a shop. It's still there now but just a plain old house. Mr McDonnell was a bald gentleman, most times, he was nice, I suppose when there there gangs of kids hanging across the counter on their lunch breaks, all shouting for delights like Fizzle Sticks at the same time it was harder for him to be jolly. Memories of big time bars, the minty ones that no one seems to remember except me ...Fizz bombs you would find an odd 2p in if you were lucky! Captain Quencher and Ricki Rasper ice pops (lollies in the UK). Many of those little shops always seemed to have what you were sent for, from matches to sellotape to safety pins or a dash to the shop for gravy or frozen peas on a Sunday.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: Corner shops.

                            my other local corner shop (still there now)is called dransfields in featherstone and they are still serving sweets into little paper bags.alas,their 'jars' are all plastic now and nothing is what it used to be.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: Corner shops.

                              In my town we have one called mackles its been here as long as i have everything is as it was when i was very young.
                              You have the paper bags the old weighing scales the clear plastic screw top jars that sit on the top shelf full of different sweets.

                              You can order a poUnd a half pound of what you want.



                              Originally posted by stuckinthepast77 View Post
                              my other local corner shop (still there now)is called dransfields in featherstone and they are still serving sweets into little paper bags.alas,their 'jars' are all plastic now and nothing is what it used to be.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: Corner shops.

                                Most of the local food shops in my locality are owned by Kurds. Apart from nostalgic sweet shops and a handful of butchers and bakers, none seem to be owned by British people. Even Indian shops are becoming a rare breed.

                                There was a classic British corner shop called the Galleon Stores close to my primary school but it got taken over by One Stop in the late 1980s. I have a few photos of it somewhere.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X