Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Eurovision Song Contest came from Green Glens Arena, Millstreet, Ireland.
    • Three new countries entered for the first time as independent nations: Slovenia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia (N.B. all three had previously participated as part of Yugoslavia).
    • Ireland won with "In Your Eyes" sung by Niamh Kavanagh, scoring 187 points.
    • The UK's entry "Better The Devil You Know" sung by Sonia, finished 2nd with 164 points.
    • No-one scored nul points; Belgium finished last with 3 points: "Iemand Als Jij" sung by Barbara.

The following ITV franchises changed hands on 1 January:
    • National Breakfast: TV-am -> GMTV
    • London Weekdays: Thames -> Carlton
    • South and South East England: TVS -> Meridian
    • South West England: TSW -> Westcountry

Also, the franchise for the ITV / Channel 4 main teletext provider passed from ORACLE to Teletext UK (who used the name Teletext on screen; confusing as teletext is the generic name for this text system regardless of provider).

UK number one singles included:
    • The Bluebells - "Young At Heart"
    • UB40 - "(I Cant Help) Falling In Love With You"
    • Meat Loaf - "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Wont Do That)"
    • Mr Blobby - "Mr Blobby"

The 1993 Grand National on 3 April 1993 had two false starts. On the second false start 30 of the 39 runners began and continued racing, unaware of the false start recall. Seven horses actually completed the two-lap course with Esha Ness first past the post. The whole race was declared void. Even the possibility of re-running the race with just the 9 horses who didn't run the void race was ruled out. Bookmakers had to refund millions of pounds to punters.
    I am 13 ... times 4.
Working...
X