Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking teachers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Smoking teachers



    Yes, as I was puffing away on my big old pipe I cast my mind back to the early 70's in probably the vilest grammar school on the face of the planet.....

    ...and I remember an old 'teacher', with the amazing name of Jack Lemmon (really) who never taught me anything. He used to read us 'The Washing of the Spears' a gory book about the Zulu Wars for the entire lesson. I can name him now as he must be dead by now.

    And he used to smoke. Yes, smoke in the classroom. Unbelievable in this day and age !

    I remember he smoked cigars, pipes, cigarettes and some strange things called 'cigarellos' a cross between a cigarette and a cigar.

    Anybody else remember teachers smoking in the classroom ?

  • #2
    Re: Smoking teachers

    Originally posted by Pussywillow View Post


    Yes, as I was puffing away on my big old pipe I cast my mind back to the early 70's in probably the vilest grammar school on the face of the planet.....

    ...and I remember an old 'teacher', with the amazing name of Jack Lemmon (really) who never taught me anything. He used to read us 'The Washing of the Spears' a gory book about the Zulu Wars for the entire lesson. I can name him now as he must be dead by now.

    And he used to smoke. Yes, smoke in the classroom. Unbelievable in this day and age !

    I remember he smoked cigars, pipes, cigarettes and some strange things called 'cigarellos' a cross between a cigarette and a cigar.

    Anybody else remember teachers smoking in the classroom ?
    jack lemmon HAHA was walter matthau with him an assistant perhaps.

    Yes mr gordon my metalwork teacher and mr kilner my woodwork teachers both smoked like trains.
    this was in the mid eighties.

    are teachers not allowed to smoke now.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Smoking teachers

      None of our teachers smoked in the classroom but a big percentage of them did smoke. A blue haze always drifted out of the staff room doors, but none of them would admit to smoking if asked.
      1976 Vintage

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Smoking teachers

        We had "Faggy aggy" she was the only one who ever reeked of smoke,she had bad breath too.Didn't smoke in class though.

        Dunno what they do now,cos I would imagine they can't exactly go out to the gate,maybe they have a room for it,or have to go into their car.


        tulip

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Smoking teachers

          Yes nothing worse than the lesson after break where you could have a teacher leaning over you with stale cigarette and coffee breath.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Smoking teachers

            I can remember a Technical Drawing teacher called Mr Bristow. He had half round glasses, egg and side salad and smoked a pipe in class sometimes. There was many a time he would dose off after he had written the work down on the blackboard and sat back down.
            Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Smoking teachers

              Originally posted by Fatboy View Post
              I can remember a Technical Drawing teacher called Mr Bristow. He had half round glasses, egg and side salad and smoked a pipe in class sometimes. There was many a time he would dose off after he had written the work down on the blackboard and sat back down.
              that reminds me in secondary school i had a teacher mr johnston who also smoked a pipe in class.
              he also wore glasses.

              i tell you i was glad when the class was over so i could get some air.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Smoking teachers

                The Brothers (priest types) at my school smoked...they reeked of tobacco or cigar smoke...Some of the teachers too. It annoyed me that they could smoke and yet came down like a tonne of bricks on the kids that did in the Rose Gardens. One teacher, Mr Jones a science teacher used to get sixth formers to 'raid' the rose gardens and yet many of the sixth formers smoked too...

                I despised teachers with bad breath, you know the halitosis / tonsil stone type of pong and their bad b.o....it disgusted me. Mr Lailey, a maths teacher was quite youngish in his 40's I think and he looked like a throw back to the 50s with his coal greased hair with dandruff flecks and National Health (now geek chic) style tortoise shelled specs. His breath was awful! What horrified me was I remember he'd recently become a Father for the first time and I wondered how his wife put up with it - especially when she kissed him! Yuck. I used to think maybe she had bad breath an all so the two pongs negated each other out lol!

                I also had a teacher called Mr English, his breath reeked too. So did his wifes AND his daughters - my Mum had the misfortune of chatting with them one day and she chucked up all the way walking home she said! The reason I mention Mr English was he was actually Irish, so I used to muse that there must have been a Mr Irish who was English....speaking of which, there was an Afro Caribbean teacher I had at primary school called Mr White...As a naughty kid in P.E. I remember we had to run around the sports hall in a circle (don't ask) and he was in there and I shouted at him that he should be called Mr Brown 'cos your brown and not Mr White'...I guess he didn't tell on me because I was brown too...He did shake his head at me with his mouth opened in an 'O' shape as if he was saying 'oh you cheeky so and so!'...

                One wonders with all the pay the smelly ones get they've never heard of SOAP, SHAMPOO and TOOTHPASTE!!!!

                Lol.

                My late Mum always found 'cookery and domestic hygene' teachers always had smelly breath too from speaking with them....fun times.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Smoking teachers

                  Originally posted by darren View Post
                  that reminds me in secondary school i had a teacher mr johnston who also smoked a pipe in class.
                  he also wore glasses.

                  i tell you i was glad when the class was over so i could get some air.
                  Yeah it could get a bit smoky in class with Mr Bristow. Looking back, I would have felt sorry for the kids in the class who had Asthma or other chest problems, they would be no smoking now. That's one thing that I have welcomed from our recent governments is the banning of smoking in public places, many a time you could be having a meal somewhere, when some inconsiderate ....... person would light up
                  Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Smoking teachers

                    I can remember the teachers at my secondary school were only allowed to smoke in the boiler room or in their cars.

                    I've heard a few horror stories from a few people of staff rooms being so full of smoke you could hardly see from one end to the other.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Smoking teachers

                      Head master in primary school used to smoke very heavy.Had yellow fingers and always reaked of stale smoke.When presented to him in his office he used to chew on the mouthpiece of his pipe and scowl at you.A large fella with a shocking ginger beard and piercing eyes.Used to frighten the willies out of me.Mind you I was always getting sent there,lol.Cannot remember any other primary school teacher smoking.
                      Secondary school,well the teachers room was like the thick fog you get on the coast as it rolls in from the sea.You could cut the air with a knife it was so thick.Our french teacher used to smoke funny coloured ciggies,and our art teacher had funny smelling ones.....like nettles and cat's is what her cloths smelt like at times.Well you get the picture.She was always so well,laid back.Those are the only ones I remember well.I assume many of my other teachers did smoke,but it was kept out of sight,out of mind to us children.But then we were also smoking behind the tennis court or the bike sheds,or my fav place under one of the mobile huts where it was easy to sit and hide our stash of fags and they never got found.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Smoking teachers

                        Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                        our art teacher had funny smelling ones.....like nettles and cat's is what her cloths smelt like at times.She was always so well,laid back.
                        From the sounds of that, she was smoking a bit of Bob Hope
                        Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Smoking teachers

                          Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                          Our french teacher used to smoke funny coloured ciggies,
                          What is it with French teachers. Mine used to smoke using one of those cigarette holder things like Audrey Hepburn.

                          I grew up with many smoking teachers, one in particular had the smell, yellow fingers etc and i can remember the foggy staff rooms too.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Smoking teachers

                            I remember on Room 101 Nick Hancock discribing a typical pipe smokers as posing on a yacht, wearing an Arran sweater, having a full beard stained with nicotine & works as French teacher.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Smoking teachers

                              Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                              The Brothers (priest types) at my school smoked...they reeked of tobacco or cigar smoke...Some of the teachers too. It annoyed me that they could smoke and yet came down like a tonne of bricks on the kids that did in the Rose Gardens. One teacher, Mr Jones a science teacher used to get sixth formers to 'raid' the rose gardens and yet many of the sixth formers smoked too...

                              I despised teachers with bad breath, you know the halitosis / tonsil stone type of pong and their bad b.o....it disgusted me. Mr Lailey, a maths teacher was quite youngish in his 40's I think and he looked like a throw back to the 50s with his coal greased hair with dandruff flecks and National Health (now geek chic) style tortoise shelled specs. His breath was awful! What horrified me was I remember he'd recently become a Father for the first time and I wondered how his wife put up with it - especially when she kissed him! Yuck. I used to think maybe she had bad breath an all so the two pongs negated each other out lol!

                              I also had a teacher called Mr English, his breath reeked too. So did his wifes AND his daughters - my Mum had the misfortune of chatting with them one day and she chucked up all the way walking home she said! The reason I mention Mr English was he was actually Irish, so I used to muse that there must have been a Mr Irish who was English....speaking of which, there was an Afro Caribbean teacher I had at primary school called Mr White...As a naughty kid in P.E. I remember we had to run around the sports hall in a circle (don't ask) and he was in there and I shouted at him that he should be called Mr Brown 'cos your brown and not Mr White'...I guess he didn't tell on me because I was brown too...He did shake his head at me with his mouth opened in an 'O' shape as if he was saying 'oh you cheeky so and so!'...

                              One wonders with all the pay the smelly ones get they've never heard of SOAP, SHAMPOO and TOOTHPASTE!!!!

                              Lol.

                              My late Mum always found 'cookery and domestic hygene' teachers always had smelly breath too from speaking with them....fun times.

                              i suppose the reason they came down hard on the kids for smoking even though the teachers did is because they where the teachers but it souds like double standards to me
                              yeah the smell of their breath was sickening.
                              sometimes when the teacher came down to my desk as he talked his breath stank to high heaven.

                              funny story u calling him mr brown because he was brown and not white.haha
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X