Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George 1978
    replied
    Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

I didn't miss a year of school as such but I missed the final six weeks of Year 5 due to being in hospital for a scheduled operation (cf the Hospital thread), and the final couple of months of Year 11 because I was at the end of my tether with people getting away with doing things to me (cf my 25 Years since leaving school thread).

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

I missed out on a year of secondary school...i was always out the gates after registration, it was like the great escape i turned out alright however, never been arrested and never been out of work

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
    I nearly missed a year -I was promoted by a year, twice in succession, but the local schools wouldn't take kids early so I spent two years in the last class...
    i ahd heard this had happened to others but unless I delved into Fcaebook (no thanks lol) and unless I knew the people affected - these are the only way's i could find out, but yeah I do keep hearing this happened and keep having faint re-collections of it hapening to Kids say 2 Years my Senior

80sChav

Leave a comment:

• Arran
    replied

The year group a student is in at school in England and Wales depends on which side of 1st September their birthday falls. I am vaguely aware that in decades gone by that some LEAs used 1st August instead so students with an August birthday were a year behind at what they should have been at school. It also meant that they could (in theory) pass their driving test before their O Level results were announced. I think this missing a year at primary was students with August birthdays being moved up to the correct year group.

The year group system only officially came into use in September 1990. In the absence of a standard year group system before then I suspect that there was the potential to move primary school kids to different classes to give an impression that they are ahead or behind the year group that they are supposed to be in.

Leave a comment:

• zabadak
    replied

I nearly missed a year -I was promoted by a year, twice in succession, but the local schools wouldn't take kids early so I spent two years in the last class...

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

Originally posted by Sly View Post
    I missed class 4 when I was at school. There were 4 of us that skipped over class 4 from class 3 and went right into class 5, we spent the remaining of our time there until we moved onto high school at aged 11. I never understood the reasoning behind this. When the older kids left to go to high school and I was one of the oldest lads in the class, again there were a few kids that were brought up into class 5 that were considered to be a year below us.

It was super annoying because all my friends that I was really close to went into class 4 when I went into class 5. Then when the older kids went on to pastures new I lost a load of friends because I had gotten used to them. Going into class 5 was a major shock for the class 4 kids, as it was from me going from class 3 as it was the first time anyone in the school was given mandatory homework in preparation for going to the big school. I sort of got used to it by the time class 4 had graduated into my class, but for a lot of the pupils it was a hard hit and I recall a lot of tellings off for a lot of people not doing homework on time.

Though we have not always seen eye to eye Sly - this would have been my worst nightmare come true in experiencing this

Though i recall it happening along similar lines as you describe (but date-wise I am unsure of the date people's Birthday's) had to fall for this to occur

80sChav

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

It never happened to me or friends (but I recall around 1986/87) before my Final year at primary a Year or 2 Years in Year 6 got "fast-tracked" to Secxondary (though this descrepency was only becvause of a 6 Month age difference in question) between Year 6 and Year 7!!

80sChav
    Last edited by 80sChav; 23-09-2017, 14:44.

Leave a comment:

• summerborn
    replied

This is a long shot 6 years on, but is "Guest" "systemaddict" still a member here please? I'd like to contact you regarding your missed school year if possible please.
    Could you reply here or send me a message?
    Many thanks

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

It wasn't so bad. I make friends quickly, being an only child sort of necessitates that sort of quality in a person.

I wish I could say all this about me ... being an only child too! Sadly i can't. Though I do remember getting distinctly jelous of the 5th Years in Primary "moving on" as it was to big School!

Leave a comment:

• Sly
    replied

It wasn't so bad. I make friends quickly, being an only child sort of necessitates that sort of quality in a person.

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

It was hard to stay friends with the people in class 4 because we only saw each other at play time. I maybe saw them an hour each day, which when you compare it to the 5 or so hours I was spending with the other friends just meant that the friendships waned a little.

When I went to high school I was the only lad out of my school to be in my form. There was a girl I went to infant school with but I never really had anything to do with her. I and the lass were the only people from my district in my form compared to the the other kids who had groups of 3 or 4 people from the schools they came from.
    That must've been hard for you mate .... sorry about that. I'd of hated that to happen to me.

Leave a comment:

• Sly
    replied

It was hard to stay friends with the people in class 4 because we only saw each other at play time. I maybe saw them an hour each day, which when you compare it to the 5 or so hours I was spending with the other friends just meant that the friendships waned a little.

When I went to high school I was the only lad out of my school to be in my form. There was a girl I went to infant school with but I never really had anything to do with her. I and the lass were the only people from my district in my form compared to the the other kids who had groups of 3 or 4 people from the schools they came from.

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied

I missed class 4 when I was at school. There were 4 of us that skipped over class 4 from class 3 and went right into class 5, we spent the remaining of our time there until we moved onto high school at aged 11. I never understood the reasoning behind this. When the older kids left to go to high school and I was one of the oldest lads in the class, again there were a few kids that were brought up into class 5 that were considered to be a year below us.

It was super annoying because all my friends that I was really close to went into class 4 when I went into class 5. Then when the older kids went on to pastures new I lost a load of friends because I had gotten used to them. Going into class 5 was a major shock for the class 4 kids, as it was from me going from class 3 as it was the first time anyone in the school was given mandatory homework in preparation for going to the big school. I sort of got used to it by the time class 4 had graduated into my class, but for a lot of the pupils it was a hard hit and I recall a lot of tellings off for a lot of people not doing homework on time.
    did you not keep in contact with those friends you lost when they went to class 4 and u to class 5 sly.
    i mean do you still be in contact with any.

understandible if u lost them becayse you did not get on.

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

My mum's birthday is in early september, & managed to start school a year early.

She was put back a year for the 11 plus though.

Leave a comment:

• Sly
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X