X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard1978
    replied
    Re: Snooker

"ey up, me duck" sounds more Northen, like something someone on Coronation Street would say.

The sporting press liked to give competitors nicknames, Tony Drago was always the Maltese Falcon.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

I always hated it when our "local hero" Anthony Hamilton (who came from Gedling in Nottingham) was referred to as the "Robin Hood of Snooker" - I don't know about anyone else local to where I live, but I have always hated it when the national bigwigs stereotype Nottingham people with annoying "Robin Hood" and "ey up, me duck" references - I find it quite offensive to be honest. It maybe affectionate, but surely giving players local stereotypes, ironic or not, can be below the belt at times.

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

I recall John Spencer being our local hero ( Radcliffe)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

• Clare
    replied

The first crossword answer I ever got right, when I was about 8 or 9, was "DOUG/MOUNTJOY".

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    One player's nickname was The Silver Fox but I can't quite remember his name.
    Wasn't that David Taylor? (not Dennis).

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

I can only remember seeing Fred Davis. Perhaps Joe was a bit before my time. I see he passed away in 1978 so I probably didn't see him.

Remember aussie Eddie Charlton?

John Virgo doing impressions of other players.

Fred Davis passed away in the late 1990s.

It's a pity that Jim Davidson had made John Virgo more of a comedy stooge, even though Virgo was great during the Big Break opening gambits and the Trick Shot Specials, doing impressions of Taylor (enormous sunglasses, rather than the "upside down" variety); Griffiths (weird blond wig, and "slow-motion" parody). I am certain that another player (Taylor or Davis perhaps?) tried to take off Virgo by wearing a false "wire wool" beard.

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied

You also had from australia michael campbell and warren king and canadians kirk stevens ,bill werbiniuk.

Silvino and peter francisco from sth africa and dene o kane from new zealand.
    Silvino was banned fo
    r 5 yrs for match fixing

Originally posted by richard1978 View Post
    cliff thorburn was known as the grinder because of his slow tight style of play to grind down opponents.

Tony drago was nickednamed the maltese falcon & also liked to play a tight game.

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied

SILVER FOX IS DAVID TAYLOR.

EDDIE CHARLTON OR STEADY EDDIE

I can only remember seeing Fred Davis. Perhaps Joe was a bit before my time. I see he passed away in 1978 so I probably didn't see him.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
    Not recommended to be watched on a monochrome television lol
    "I think I'll pot the dark grey".

Or more to the point "for those of you watching in black and white, the blue is next to the yellow". IBAOTN 3 in 1981 has such proof methinks. Never appeared in Colemanballs as far as I am aware.

On a tangent, does anyone remember Steve Davis (or a DJ with the same name as him anyway) doing a stint as a DJ on the radio circa 1989-1990? Commercial radio stations such as Radio Trent used to have it on Saturday evenings for a few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

They may have been around in the 80s, but I can't remember seeing any Chinese snooker players back then. Most were from the British Isles, a few from Canada, plus the odd Aussie, South African and so on.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

It's nice to have Chinese players like Ding Junhui and Liang Wembo on the professional circuit, and its nice that snooker is just as much a national sport over there as it is over here. I don't really remember many Chinese players on TV back in the 1980s when Steve Davis ruled the roost.

In years to come, people will probably think of Ronnie O'Sullivan in the same way that they thought of Alex Higgins before him - there will always be room for eccentrics in the game.

Leave a comment:

• Twocky61
    replied

Not recommended to be watched on a monochrome television lol

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

Cliff Thorburn was known as the Grinder because of his slow tight style of play to grind down opponents.

Tony Drago was nickednamed the Maltese Falcon & also liked to play a tight game.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

Leave a comment:

• zabadak
    replied

I remember watching Pot Black in the late 70s/early 80s when it was shown on BBC2 on Friday nights. Previous posters have mentioned some great players and one I would like to add is Fred Davis, who used to feature regularly in Pot Black.

I think my most memorable snooker moment was the 1982 World Championship when Alex Higgins beat Ray Reardon. I still remember Higgin's tears when he won, and his wife and baby celebrating with him. What a sad end for probably the most entertaining and exciting player I have ever seen. Alex also smoked like a chimney during his matches--a real no-no today.

Steve Davis dominated the sport in the 80s--remember his character in Spitting Image? Steve 'Interesting' Davis. There were so many characters back in the 80s. Snooker seems a bit bland nowadays and I don't watch it much anymore.
    Also Fred's brother, Joe. But Reardon was king when I started watching.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X