Football Seasons Ends (with tight situations) to not be Relegated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football Seasons Ends (with tight situations) to not be Relegated

I have known a few year over the years that have gone to the wire - even my own can be included in that, but which can you think of that was that close in Goal Difference and/or Points!!?

to me Bradford City in 1999/2000 was amazing in that they had to beat Wimbledon (though I'm unsure of the Goal difference) but the requirment was to better the Team (Wimbledon that is) who knew all about beating the odds (and escapeology) as well and let alone that Bradford had to better what Wimbledon may do - they had to beat Liverpool at home!!

Also I recall - i think it was 95/96 in the Prem Coventry (another great master of escapology) entered a 3 battle with Man City and Southamptpn to declare who'd join QPR and Bolton going down to the old (New 1st Division) or Today's Championship rather

I have a book about the full Leauge Tables (Prem, Championship, and leauges 1 and 2) from 1888 with 1 Leauge and then additionally adding more with the original names (until the re-naming's in 1992) and Coventry in the 80s and 90 plus probably the 70s survived by 1 or 2 points on multpule occasions) as did Southampton from the late 70s onwards (though not quite as much as Coventry) but still too many times for comfort

80sChav

On a tangent, the FA Cup Final this year was Chelsea v Leicester where Leicester won 0-1. Ironically, their league's fixture, also Chelsea v Leicester, had yet to be played so close to the end of the season and was three days later on Tuesday evening, and the score was 2-1 (Leicester also scored one goal there as well, and would have been a draw on aggregate if both matches were put together).

Has that every happened before in football? Two different competitions but the same two clubs playing at the same ground within days of each other? It felt like a rematch to be honest!

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
      On a tangent, the FA Cup Final this year was Chelsea v Leicester where Leicester won 0-1. Ironically, their league's fixture, also Chelsea v Leicester, had yet to be played so close to the end of the season and was three days later on Tuesday evening, and the score was 2-1 (Leicester also scored one goal there as well, and would have been a draw on aggregate if both matches were put together).

Has that every happened before in football? Two different competitions but the same two clubs playing at the same ground within days of each other? It felt like a rematch to be honest!
      Hmm A~senal and Sheff Wed played each other in both Cup Finals (namely the Leauge and FA Cuo) in 93 - though you was probably talking 44 to 6 weeks (but that is'nt much in the grand scheme of things .... but still, it's there I guess)

80sChav

Comment

Working...
      X