X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George 1978
    replied
    Re: Video v DVD - making the transition

Isn't there a Region 0 which is neutral - in other words, anyone in the world can use it? I believe that Region 1 could be United States only.

When I got some DVD of a well known series ten years ago, I was aware of the regional (or should I say national) variation of the different Region codes, and I went down to actually quoting my Post Code to the seller to make sure that it was compatible for where I live!

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
    I recall I use to have a dvd player that was able to play dvds for different regions. I had to type in a special code to access a particular region. Sadly, later tge player started giving me problems.
    I wanted to purchase a dvd box set, but it was region 1. My current player is region 2 only.
    It is so irritating having different regions for various Continents. Why is it necessary?
    The region coding was supposed to control the releases worldwide due to rights issues & stop piracy.

On most players it's fairly easy to look up how to disable the region coding, I've been able to do it on all 3 players I've owned.

Leave a comment:

• Moonraker
    replied

I recall I use to have a dvd player that was able to play dvds for different regions. I had to type in a special code to access a particular region. Sadly, later tge player started giving me problems.
    I wanted to purchase a dvd box set, but it was region 1. My current player is region 2 only.
    It is so irritating having different regions for various Continents. Why is it necessary?

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
    Thanks for the warning.

I do use YouTube every day, but there's nothing quite satisfying than recording something yourself and thinking that you are the only person who has done that - Christmases, Royal Weddings and anything else special on TV.

I have just bid on some E300 tapes on eBay a few days ago - if I win it, I might be persuaded to stay with my VCR a while longer.
    We'll being a perfectionist myself I'm afraid that the picture quality of videos just doesn't cut-it for me .

I don't watch anything in SD on the telly only HD ..

I do like sports, documentaries etc which benefit from a clear picture .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
    Change is good sometimes , George

I was as happy as Larry with our Sky set up then one day our son in law called around .. he asked if he could put a lead from the Sky box to out BT Hub but I was proper nervous !!!

Five minutes later we suddenly had access to thousands of free movies and box sets !!

I dabbled with a DVD recorder a few years ago quickly abandoned it as it was such a nightmare . Even then the flamin recorded DVDs didn't always work so well ..

You may have better luck of course.

Soooo have you tried YouTube for video clips , old TV series etcetc ?
    Thanks for the warning.

I do use YouTube every day, but there's nothing quite satisfying than recording something yourself and thinking that you are the only person who has done that - Christmases, Royal Weddings and anything else special on TV.

I have just bid on some E300 tapes on eBay a few days ago - if I win it, I might be persuaded to stay with my VCR a while longer.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Suppose the joy of dvds is that they can now be bought for a quid each in charity shops

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

I don't think it would work for myself.
    Change is good sometimes , George

I was as happy as Larry with our Sky set up then one day our son in law called around .. he asked if he could put a lead from the Sky box to out BT Hub but I was proper nervous !!!

Five minutes later we suddenly had access to thousands of free movies and box sets !!

I dabbled with a DVD recorder a few years ago quickly abandoned it as it was such a nightmare . Even then the flamin recorded DVDs didn't always work so well ..

You may have better luck of course.

Soooo have you tried YouTube for video clips , old TV series etcetc ?

Leave a comment:

• OptimusPrime1980
    replied

I have a DVD recorder.

Recording quality is ok, but very blurred around the edges.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Maybe consider some of the things we've suggested ??

I don't think it would work for myself.

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

I just love being detailed in my writing - it makes things exciting and interesting.

I do feel left behind sometimes - I often wonder whether it would cause embarrassment if I said to people that I still use a VCR. Even I still use cassette tapes for example.
    Maybe consider some of the things we've suggested ??

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Wow ... I struggle wading through masses of text

George .. I'm not even sure you need to go down the route of DVD recordings- it's something I've never fancied myself ..
    I just love being detailed in my writing - it makes things exciting and interesting.

I do feel left behind sometimes - I often wonder whether it would cause embarrassment if I said to people that I still use a VCR. Even I still use cassette tapes for example.

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

Originally posted by tex View Post
    Because you are not trying to own just watch, illegal to upload/download but not to stream. Be aware that streaming sites get shut down regularly but there is usually another along a bit like the buses
    Ahh

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

How do they get away with it all being free ??

Because you are not trying to own just watch, illegal to upload/download but not to stream. Be aware that streaming sites get shut down regularly but there is usually another along a bit like the buses

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

Originally posted by tex View Post
    Streamings the way to go these days, buy a amazon firestick and install a free streaming service (i recommend Morpheus) installation instructions are available on youtube.
    Once done you have all the movies and tv shows you can possibly imagine FREE OF CHARGE and lawfully, the occasional buffering you have to endure is far outweighed by the thousands of free movies and shows at your fingertips
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpGV2mZ28aw
    How do they get away with it all being free ??

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Streamings the way to go these days, buy a amazon firestick and install a free streaming service (i recommend Morpheus) installation instructions are available on youtube.
    Once done you have all the movies and tv shows you can possibly imagine FREE OF CHARGE and lawfully, the occasional buffering you have to endure is far outweighed by the thousands of free movies and shows at your fingertips
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpGV2mZ28aw

Leave a comment:

Working...
X