Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tallulah
    replied
    Snakey - you're not the only one - we still buy vids off eBay (yes, I'm the mug!) coz the kids love certain films and DVD's can be so expensive - vids are the cheaper version today!

Leave a comment:

• Snakeystew
    replied
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see that much difference between video and dvd - and yes, I have a massive television. Of course my older videos are suffering from some wear and tear, but in general the quality doesn't really seem any worse than dvd.

Guess I'm the only one

Leave a comment:

• remember
    replied
    I remember our first VCR was MASSIVE too. It was a top loader with wood panelling on the sides (everything had wood panelling in the 70's) and weighed so much that my Dad could only just lift it. I remember him saying how expensive it was as well.

Leave a comment:

• Rodney
    replied
    My DVD player plays the DVD where I left off playing it. Just hit stop in the middle of the DVD, then pop it in at a later time and press play and you're off and running where you left off.

VCRs are another one of those devices that everyone "had to have" when they first came out. I think they had a pretty long life, technology-wise.

I think it was only last year that we decided not to hook up our VCR anymore to our home entertainment system because the thought of watching VCR quality movies just made us giggle.

Leave a comment:

• Rains
    replied
    VCR's get a lot of stick now the DVD player is king. But it's so quick to put on a half watched tape and continue watching where you left off. I challenge any DVD player to load and go as quick. Press play and you're on your way.

www.fansofbritishtv.com

Leave a comment:

• Tallulah
    started a topic VCR's in general

VCR's in general

Remember when VCR's first became popular in homes? Probably somewhere around the late 70's/early 80s.

I remember that our first video recorder - VHS - was a great big bulky thing that should really have come fitted with wheels to move it into place. Top-loader (of course) and a "remote control" which was attatched to the player by a not-long-enough wire which someone always tripped over during the course of the evening!

For some reason, my parents got conned into buying a "Phillips 2000" which was neither VHS or Betamax. There was only one supplier of the correct tapes for miles and we had to rent whatever was available in his shop at the time. We all know who had their head screwed on correctly that year!

Watching video's was a real treat - not something to keep your kids occupied whilst you got time to do some mundane household chore. It was a family event.
Working...
X