Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things you never could have predicted

Originally posted by goodbyetomaria View Post
    I never thought the VCR would be so short-lived.
    30 or so years is a good innings.

At one time it was only going to be a recording medium, with pre-recorded all being on laserdisk, but people didn't want to buy 2 machines to do this.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

a brit winning wimbledon
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
        a brit winning wimbledon
        Team GB medals at the London 2012 olympics

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
          Team GB medals at the London 2012 olympics
          I knew there would be a home advantage, but not exactly how much.

Mine would be the tabloids being able to brainwash otherwise normal people into believing stuff that is obviously complete lies.

Comment

Boom and bust in the housing market

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
              Boom and bust in the housing market
              Seriously?
              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

This is probably a bit of a contentious issue...

The torrent of eastern European immigrants who have arrived in Britain over the past 10 or so years. Back in 1972 when Ted Heath proudly announced that the Common Market was only a trading arrangement and eastern European countries were firmly behind the Iron Curtain nobody thought for a moment that 40 years later hundreds of thousands of eastern Europeans would come swarming into Britain and the British government couldn't stop one of them because of EU freedom of movement of people legislation. If there was going to be an invasion from eastern Europe from a vantage point of the 1970s then it would have been the Red Army. Fast forward to the 1990s after the Berlin Wall has fallen and still nobody in Britain has predicted mass immigration from eastern Europe.

The comparison between 21st century eastern European immigration and New Commonwealth immigration during the 1960s and 70s is very much a like vs unlike comparison. The New Commonwealth immigrants came from the former British Empire and were up against immigration controls. The eastern European immigrants come from countries that Britain has had little to do with and walk into Britain through an open door.

Comment

I blame Tony Blair for the surge when he was PM.More & more sneak in by all means,it is not about being RACIST but REALISTIC.We simply cant go on like we are.With the living wage introduced next april at £7.20 if we do not control then we will have more wanting to come to soft touch BRITAIN.Making it more difficult for the born & bred to find work

Comment

Blaming Blair is disingenuous because the plan for freedom of movement of people in the EU was hatched back in the early 1970s - if not earlier - and Ted Heath fully well knew about it at the time. After the fall of the Berlin Wall it would only be a matter of time before eastern European countries would be accepted to join the EU - when rather than if - and their citizens would have an open door into Britain.

Comment

That my precious vinyl collection that I was persuaded to more or less give away would make a comeback

Comment

That Leicester City would win the premier league in this crazy world of high fees and wages .

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                          That Leicester City would win the premier league in this crazy world of high fees and wages .
                          Good for them if they do makes a change from the norm winning the title

Comment

OH NO YOU WHERE PERSUASDED TO GIVE IT AWAY.

IM NOT SHOCKED ITS MADE A COMEBACK.

YES THE LEICESTER CITY COULD WELL WIN THE PREM LGE THIS SEASON I WASNT EXPECTING IT COULD HAPPEN BUT IT WILL BE A NICE CHANGE.

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                            That my precious vinyl collection that I was persuaded to more or less give away would make a comeback
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I was surprised by vinyl coming back, at one time it looks like it would only survive as 12" dance singles, LPs for the sort of people who could afford to spend £1000 on a turntable & some indie labels.

Lucky for me I kept my Dad's old turntable, mostly to play all the vinyl I bought cheaply in the 1990s.

Comment

The end of deep coal mining in Britain.

Our armed forces cut back so much that even the top officers are beginning to squeal (remaining mostly anonymous of course).

Foreign owners of former British companies shouting loudly, then watching even our own Prime Minister jump up indirectly shouting "Yes Sir!!!! Three bags full, Sir!!!"

People born in Britain having less rights than foreign nationals.
                                Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Working...
                                X