Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone still do the “ pools”?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Does anyone still do the “ pools”?

    Also we used to look forward to seeing football results on grandstand where we would get excited if there was 8 draw games,then to check the coupon damn it not us lol

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Does anyone still do the “ pools”?

      Originally posted by amethyst View Post
      Also we used to look forward to seeing football results on grandstand where we would get excited if there was 8 draw games,then to check the coupon damn it not us lol
      Remember how you could tell if the first team won or lost with the guy’s tone of voice


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Does anyone still do the “ pools”?

        Are the Pools still going then, what with the lottery?
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Does anyone still do the “ pools”?

          Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
          Are the Pools still going then, what with the lottery?
          I thought that they had indirectly replaced the lottery as I had mentioned earlier on in this thread.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Does anyone still do the “ pools”?

            Oh OK thanks George

            Missed that bit
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Does anyone still do the “ pools”?

              Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
              I thought that they had indirectly replaced the lottery as I had mentioned earlier on in this thread.
              Yes when The National Lottery was introduced sales at Liverpool Pools dropped think it was the same with Vernons

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Does anyone still do the “ pools”?

                Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                Oh OK thanks George

                Missed that bit
                I am like that when it comes to long threads, and sometimes I am not sure whether something has already been mentioned.
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Does anyone still do the “ pools”?

                  Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                  Yes when The National Lottery was introduced sales at Liverpool Pools dropped think it was the same with Vernons
                  The National Lottery must have made the pools look really out of date, hence the decline by the mid 1990s. Besides, the lottery jackpot was greater and was publicised more, and also I don't think that bookmakers and bingo would have been eventually advertised on television if it hasn't have been for the National Lottery opening the floodgates back in 1994 - and the foundation of the Gambling Commission.
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Does anyone still do the “ pools”?

                    My dad used to be an agent/collector. I used to love accompanying him on his rounds when he would collect completed entries and give out coupons for the following week. There used to be a black piece of paper in the pile of coupons, presumably to mark every 100 (or perhaps 500?) "That's in case any blind people want to do the pools", my dad told me. And I believed him. One week one of the regulars said he hadn't had time to complete his entry and asked my dad to put one in for him. Dad went home and pored over the bloody thing all night, submitted it - and it won a jackpot! The bloke thanked Dad for doing it by giving him ... absolutely bugger all. Not even a dry fart, the tight git.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by tex View Post
                      Re: Does anyone still do the pools?

                      Spot the ball, all whizz thought it was a fiddle
                      a distant relative of mine won spot the ball in the early 80s , I recall the prize was a cruise that he and his girlfriend took , a sports car ,that was played with for a few months then sold and settled on an xr3. Cash was around 100k. Not a huge amount nowadays but was plenty for him to buy a decent house in a nice area and a chip shop business and a posh wedding .


                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Semi42 View Post
                        a distant relative of mine won spot the ball in the early 80s , I recall the prize was a cruise that he and his girlfriend took , a sports car ,that was played with for a few months then sold and settled on an xr3. Cash was around 100k. Not a huge amount nowadays but was plenty for him to buy a decent house in a nice area and a chip shop business and a posh wedding .
                        Back in the mid 1990s I looked at Microfilm editions of the Nottingham Evening Post at the Central Library from 1978 and I saw on a weekend edition that one week the Find the Ball competition jackpot was £21,000 - that was probably more than what most middle class people were earning in a year back in 1978. That's possibly nearly half a million in today's money - imagine winning all that back then!

                        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X