Attempted burglary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempted burglary

What a day ive had, at 2.30am this morning somebody tried unsuccessfully to break into my house!..they managed to destroy the lock on my front door but it set off the alarm so they legged it empty handed.. possibly were after my car keys, i had to pay £135 pounds for a new lock so the wife and i have been up since 2.30
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Re: Attempted burglary

Originally posted by tex View Post
    What a day ive had, at 2.30am this morning somebody tried unsuccessfully to break into my house!..they managed to destroy the lock on my front door but it set off the alarm so they legged it empty handed.. possibly were after my car keys, i had to pay £135 pounds for a new lock so the wife and i have been up since 2.30
    Oh my gawd !!

I hope you have some protection at hand ...

I have a big lump of very heavy wood at the side of our bed .. plus a huge bread knife !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

What did the police say

Comment

Sorry to hear that, Tex. I would feel vulnerable if happened to me - and it did happen to me a few years ago.

It happened to me in April 2008 - the door seemed to have been unlocked and some person took my wallet, and this was at around 2.00 am on a Monday morning which was also the Queen's birthday. After being paranoid and spending the minutes looking in rooms and cupboards, feeling as I was playing Hide and Seek with the Invisible Man, I telephoned the police from upstairs and reported it - of course, the insurance people didn't side with me of course.

In a nutshell, I am too much of a wimp to be like Tony Martin and fight back properly just in case I would also be legally in the wrong, and so I don't know what I would have done if the man had been armed. I was also a victim of fraud via the telephone last October - it wasn't the first time it happened but at least I got my money back, reported it to Action Fraud, my bank, BT and the police. I am indeed a vulnerable person.

My sympathies are also with the people who were stabbed in Streatham High Road earlier on today as well - will all these horrible things going ever end?
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I get this assumption that every street in Great Britain seems to have its "burglar in residence" - I came to that conclusion when the police officers who came to my address in April 2008 and wondered whether it was "so-and-so" who presumably had done other burglaries in my old area. At least I moved away from their in 2014. I even wished that my street had its own security guards and I would agree to pay triple my council tax in order to afford them.

Incidentally, this time last year I was making some enquiries about my street becoming part of a Neighbourhood Watch scheme and proudly having a NW sign on the first lamppost when entering my street - a lot of streets in my area already have one on their lampposts. The main problem is that when something like this happens, we are almost vulnerable to either becoming a victim in more ways than one, or are at risk of play the perpetrator at their own game.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
            I have a big lump of very heavy wood at the side of our bed .. plus a huge bread knife !!
            You are lot more braver than I am.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Sorry to hear that mate. We got burgled over 7 years ago, not long after we'd moved into our new house, the feckers kicked in the back garage door then couldn't get into the house via that so they crowbarred the front door.
              We were both out at the movies and came home to find the door wide open, luckily our two house cats hadn't run out (they were both terrified, one of them still runs off when he hears loud noises now) and they hadn't killed the Mummy cat with five new kittens were were fostering at the time. You hear horror stories about heartless *******s who do worse.

They'd taken all our jewellery, that was all, but it was mostly stuff handed down from our familes so more sentimental value that anything else. I just hope they spent the money they got for it on an overdose and died a horrible painful death.
              I'm still angry about it now, i still also check the local Cashies in case any of the items show up.

I still have a samurai sword under our bed and tonfa's in a couple of rooms in case of a repeat, although now we have cameras and an alarm. We later found out the place had been burgled a few months before we bought it, would have been nice had the sellers actually told us, as then i would have replaced the fly screens with crim-safe sooner, instead of after the event.

Where my parents live in the Uk the local council had the bright idea of turning off the streetlights at night (around 11pm i think) to save money. They'd also cut the Police force drastically. Funnily enough ,they've lived there for over 40 years with no trouble, then all of a sudden got burgled, also taking their jewellery, about a year after we got done. Although the council seem to think the rise in crime is not related to the other two events....... absolutely farcical!

Comment

Sorry to hear about these burglaries attempted ones,what do they get if caught slap on wrist country is a joke

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                  You are lot more braver than I am.
                  I very much doubt it ... !!

I just don’t intend to face anyone barehanded given they’re likely to be wielding a knife of some sort .

I wouldn’t chase them away - they’re just not getting passed me on the stairs ( family upstairs of course ) .

Just basic self preservation .

I’d have a gun if I could !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                    What did the police say
                    They didn't even attend because nothing was taken and nobody hurt, they simply gave me a crime reference number which left us feeling very vulnerable at 2.30 am and no locks on the door

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                      I very much doubt it ... !!
                      I think you are - it takes guts.

It reminded me of when my family was experiencing anti-social behaviour from youngsters in the mid 1990s - stones thrown at windows, etc. My parents owned a shotgun (not sure if it was loaded, but we got rid of it eventually). My late father was so close to the end of his tether that he was so close to going after them and using it. I wouldn't have done that in fear of being dragged through the legal system.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

They didn't even attend because nothing was taken and nobody hurt, they simply gave me a crime reference number which left us feeling very vulnerable at 2.30 am and no locks on the door
                        That is not the point - the fact of the matter was that someone attempted to go onto your property with intent to steal.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                          That is not the point - the fact of the matter was that someone attempted to go onto your property with intent to steal.
                          I guess, i mean i don't know how crimes are prioritised but i suspect hounding motorists comes high on the list

Comment

I guess, i mean i don't know how crimes are prioritised but i suspect hounding motorists comes high on the list
                            They log the complaint then nothing more us done

Comment

I believe that crimes are crimes and therefore should be a priority whatever happens.

Mind you, back in 2005 I was in Blackpool and someone had accosted me in the street and stole money from me in the street - making me withdraw money and all that. When I escaped from that person, I reported it to a local police station, and I suppose that in the confusion I was flustered and didn't quite get my words out when I was reporting it to the woman on the desk. When I told her, the woman (who I think was a civilian) said that no crime had been committed and was given the number of the local Trading Standards, which is as far as I am concerned, like being told to go to the Health and Safety Executive if you have been stabbed or shot.

I reported to it the main police station in Nottingham after having an hour long telephone conversation with my sister after I got back home again - we both went to the police station, and one of the senior uniform officers, perhaps a sergeant. said "that's robbery", which I thought was only a crime when a lethal weapon such as a gun or a knife was used. At least, I helped get a witness statement prepared with my sister - whether the person was caught, I don't know as I had never heard of it since, probably for the best as I wanted to put it all being myself.

Being vulnerable makes a person a victim even when they are not one.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                              X