Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George 1978
    replied
    Only one death reported on Bank Holiday Monday and that was in Scotland, although it was part of a weekend total - at least I was wrong about the weather, and that there was no rain to be seen yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• W1 Rover
    replied
    I'll certainly be avoiding the coast like the plague today! With fine weather forcast on the south coast it's going to be chaos. Having lived in Brighton for ten years I speak with some experience. The beach used to be absolutley packed on a bank holiday and that was in normal pre covid circumstances. Good luck to any sun worshippers that do the sardines thing on a Thameslink train for the return journey later in the day. I can almost smell the sweat, perspiration and the odour of stale Stella on the breath. Social distancing very unlikely!

Leave a comment:

• Cartimand
    replied
    We all know that the Kent variant has spread rapidly across the continent, but France now has problems with variants of its own. Specifically, they are the Bordeaux and Breton variants (the former somehow sounds nicer, as I prefer wine to cider!). The Breton variant has a high mortality rate and does not show up very well in any of the existing tests.
    So, before thinking of travelling even just as far as France, be aware that you could bring more than just some cheap wine back with you.

Leave a comment:

• beccabear67
    replied
    It's the same over here; land and sea borders closed or watched yet airline flights from all over still allowed for the jet set! Oops, here's a Brazilian variant, then a South African one... I mean, how are some people getting all around the flipping planet at times like these where most people can't get from one part of their own nation to one right next to it at times?

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied
    It never rains, does it? (said ironically when it has been pouring with rain outside as I write this). I believe that the Indian variant has affected Leicester but not Nottingham.

Leave a comment:

• beccabear67
    replied
    Everyone over here in far western Canada has had their first Pfizer shot, I was last to get mine this past Tuesday. In fact it was at the back of the Empress Hotel in Victoria if anyone knows that, in a convention center addition. As I went in, the late day sun shone and the nearby carillon bells were ringing.

I found a four leaf clover the other day too so I think we'll make it after all!

Leave a comment:

• Mulletino
    replied
    My parents are enjoying the fact they can go out again, they only go to do the food shop or the local shops but it's "out" for them and as they have COPD they can't go far anyway. Hopefully it's all moving towards normality soon. They've been lucky to have such lovely neighbours who have been doing their food shops for them during shielding, shows how people rally together when needed (with the odd scumbag exceptions), they're hesitant to try online grocery shopping so i've been getting things delivered to them sometimes as treats, which they find amazing, that someone on the other side of the world can order food for them and get it delivered to their house.

We've been lucky here in Australia, things are almost back to normal where I live in Queensland, we are still supposed to keep distances etc and sanitise when possible, restaurants have seated dining (not at capacity though) and sports games seem back to normal (not that i do sports). We even went to an art thing at the weekend in a local botanical gardens, although the sheer amount of people there made me feel uneasy, I guess it will take a while before the feeling of wanting to not be near large groups goes away completely, if at all. I've never been a big groups person.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied
    Nice to hear that there have been no deaths reported in England - perhaps the light at the end of the tunnel is closer than we realised? Ironic that all the deaths were in Wales - it's a bit like only East Anglia having those deaths while everywhere else don't have any to report.

Just thought I would also mention that I managed to get a next day Tesco online delivery after I booked it, for the first time since before the pandemic started in Britain - booked Sunday, delivered Monday - and all of the items ordered arrived as well. I think that this is an indication that we are getting out of this at last.

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied
    well good news as of today nxt friday all beauty and hairdressers open up with all retail the following friday.

I dont really mind wearing masks myself.

Originally posted by amethyst

it would be nice to get back to normality but i don't think its gonna happen yet.not everybody will have the vaccine and that is the problem,the virus will be still around with new variants,because i have got used to wearing a mask it would feel strange without wearing one.

What about you darren how do you feel about things?

Leave a comment:

• Cartimand
    replied
    Following her long-awaited appointment with the hairdresser yesterday, I'm now married to a blonde women again!

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied
    do u think u will be able to adjust to when everything is normal again.
    Or will u still be a bit nervous even when everyone has had there jab.
    Will u still wear a mask.

Ill prob still wear one not a hard thing to do.

i will only go to shops where i feel safe,if anyone heads in my direction then i will go the opposite way,i'm a lot happier and feel a lot safer in my own garden don't want to be around crowds,how do you know the ones who have been vaccinated to the non believers

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied

im very very sad to her ur bad news and for his family.

my cousin who was 81 passed away in hospital today.he had the first vaccine 5 days later was in hospital for operation the ward he was in every patient came down with covid,he was on a ventilator came off it last week but went down hill fast

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied
    Sorry for your loss Amethyst...

Leave a comment:

• Cartimand
    replied
    Department stores like John Lewis have been teetering on the brink of collapse for many years. Covid was just a final nail in the coffin.
    So many things have changed, some of which are very welcome - like working from home instead of a horrible rail commute to an office.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied
    Because a family of 9 met up in a house on mother's day in Newport all have tested positive,it spread to the school also infected a local business,
    IDIOTS!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X