Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W1 Rover
    replied
    Years ago it was considered essential that you turned off and unplugged the the television set during a thunderstorm lest it should blow up.
    I suppose there were some things that the Rediffusion TV repair man couldn't fix

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied
    Thunder and lightning here as well - had to close the windows.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied
    1976...hottest year i can remember, oh yes and i first met the wife!

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied
    Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
    We have had a bit of rain outside which I think is welcoming at the moment - I think I know what Tex was referring to in Manchester now.
    Yup, thunder and lightning here today....followed by beautiful sunshine! ,go figure

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied
    We have had a bit of rain outside which I think is welcoming at the moment - I think I know what Tex was referring to in Manchester now.

Leave a comment:

• W1 Rover
    replied
    Originally posted by amethyst View Post
    Yes the mosquitoes do come out in the night to bite you.One more day before it starts to cool down
    It seems that they don't just come out after dark. I made the mistake of going for a walk in some local woodland with my son yesterday wearing shorts.
    My legs, lower arms and hands are now bedaubed in Calamine Lotion and I've just popped an antihistamine tablet.
    I've had a very itchy night

Leave a comment:

• amethyst
    replied
    Originally posted by darren View Post
    Crazy hot but a few days of rain and some peeps will say where did summer go.
    All we get is rain.

Too hot for me what i do is keep my hair wet and put my face under the cold tap aaaaaaahhh.

They are predicting that our summers will be hotter

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied
    Crazy hot but a few days of rain and some peeps will say where did summer go.
    All we get is rain.

Too hot for me what i do is keep my hair wet and put my face under the cold tap aaaaaaahhh.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
    been a glorious week but way to hot for me,it is a struggle to keep cool,having drinking more water the temperatures are unbearable around the hottest part of the day.its the humidity that gets to me,i have had to sleep on top of the bed the windows open wider,think also carpets in the house don't help.another day to get through

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied
    Originally posted by tex View Post
    It poured down here in Manchester last night....unexpected!
    I heard that the messages stuck onto the Marcus Rashford mural had to be moved as they got wet in the rain.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied
    I was glad that we had a cool day last week but the heat has seemed to have come back.

Leave a comment:

• W1 Rover
    replied
    Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
    Well have just been on Holiday in the UK, and yes it was too hot to cope - but I can recall Summer's just as Hot (namley 2004), 1990 and 1995 and where i have been was "only" 91 when translated, so in many aspects i don't see what the fuss is about (and why the TV/Press etc are making such a fuss - probably to penetrate rubbish news as usual 9though granted I'd agree, it was well hot), but more humid than hot in certain aspects!!

Ask any member on here to recall, par 1976 as a Storching Summer andf I gaurntee you 1990 comes in at Number 2 - as i was in Bournemouth that World Cup Year and it had started off dingly like a Feb Day all the way down from the North on the Coach calling at Hinkley, Ashby De La Zouch etc and even that first Day in Bournemouth was terrible ...... then it sky-rocketed after the first Day 9sun0 to near on 100 Degrees like something like 99.7 or 99.8.

Thatlast week of July I mention was way way way hotter than these last 2 weeks and as Uncle Albert on Only fools and horses said about his War Efforts on the Russian Convoys and it was so cold his lighter froze - that week in Bournemouth was so hot in reverse to Uncle Albert's Trip, that a Frying Pan would burn that week - even in the "mild" elements of a shade in Southsea Hovercraft Terminial!

80sChav
    I think your right, the attention from the media probably has been disproportionate.
    Back in 76 of course there was not only the heatwave but the ongoing lack of rainfall hence, the drought. I have fond memories of that summer, staying in a caravan in Milford on Sea in Hampshire. The trick was not to get any of the millions of ladybirds that plagued the coast into your meat paste sandwiches or bottle of Cresta, not nice. My reading material for the beach was James Herbert's The Survivor, scared the living daylights out of me.
    Another memory from that time which is only likely to be of any interest to ageing anglers on the forum was the virus that killed so many of The Perch population.
    I'll always remember the sight of the rotting corpses floating on the ponds at Parliament Hill Fields .
    Happy days all the same!

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied
    Well have just been on Holiday in the UK, and yes it was too hot to cope - but I can recall Summer's just as Hot (namley 2004), 1990 and 1995 and where i have been was "only" 91 when translated, so in many aspects i don't see what the fuss is about (and why the TV/Press etc are making such a fuss - probably to penetrate rubbish news as usual 9though granted I'd agree, it was well hot), but more humid than hot in certain aspects!!

Ask any member on here to recall, par 1976 as a Storching Summer andf I gaurntee you 1990 comes in at Number 2 - as i was in Bournemouth that World Cup Year and it had started off dingly like a Feb Day all the way down from the North on the Coach calling at Hinkley, Ashby De La Zouch etc and even that first Day in Bournemouth was terrible ...... then it sky-rocketed after the first Day 9sun0 to near on 100 Degrees like something like 99.7 or 99.8.

Thatlast week of July I mention was way way way hotter than these last 2 weeks and as Uncle Albert on Only fools and horses said about his War Efforts on the Russian Convoys and it was so cold his lighter froze - that week in Bournemouth was so hot in reverse to Uncle Albert's Trip, that a Frying Pan would burn that week - even in the "mild" elements of a shade in Southsea Hovercraft Terminial!

80sChav

Leave a comment:

• W1 Rover
    replied
    A storm brewing down here in Sussex I think. The air is very still and I can hear the distant roll of thunder.
    Bring it on!

Leave a comment:

• amethyst
    replied
    It was nice to see the temperatures drop to a much cooler day

Leave a comment:

• amethyst
    replied
    Originally posted by tex View Post
    It poured down here in Manchester last night....unexpected!
    A nice fresh breeze now with picks of rain

Leave a comment:

Working...
X