Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the most you would pay for one slice of bread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the most you would pay for one slice of bread?

I just got back from a nice pub lunch with Mrs Tex, cod, chips and peas £7.99.....reasonable you may say and i would agree ....HOWEVER , i fancied some bread and butter and turned to the "side orders" section of the menu,GO ON, GUESS HOW MUCH !..........£2.80 per slice!!!!. When i placed my order i was asked " any bread and butter?"( probably hoping i hadn't noticed the price.) How can a slice of bread possibly cost nearly 40% the price of the meal?
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Originally posted by tex View Post
    I just got back from a nice pub lunch with Mrs Tex, cod, chips and peas £7.99.....reasonable you may say and i would agree ....HOWEVER , i fancied some bread and butter and turned to the "side orders" section of the menu,GO ON, GUESS HOW MUCH !..........£2.80 per slice!!!!. When i placed my order i was asked " any bread and butter?"( probably hoping i hadn't noticed the price.) How can a slice of bread possibly cost nearly 40% the price of the meal?
    £7.99 for cod and chips and peas, value indeed, unheard of in my neck of the woods. Took my son for fish and chips in a supposedly traditional chain fish and chip eatery in Eastbourne a couple of weeks ago. A rather joyless experience, I refer to the eatery I hasten to add, not the company.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst

That was rich,we went out a few weeks back we decided to go for sides bowl of chips 2.50,onion rings 6 large ones 2.50 and crusty rolls & Butter 2 of fir 1.50
      Reasonable i would say, of course it's easy to make the argument that you're not just paying for the food but also the service but c'mon £2.80 for a slice of bread?...really?

Comment

Originally posted by W1 Rover View Post

£7.99 for cod and chips and peas, value indeed, unheard of in my neck of the woods. Took my son for fish and chips in a supposedly traditional chain fish and chip eatery in Eastbourne a couple of weeks ago. A rather joyless experience, I refer to the eatery I hasten to add, not the company.
        Was it Harry Ramsdens? - I was in Eastbourne myself in 2014 and after seeing a matinee at the Congress Theatre and I went over to Harry Ramsden's for some fish and chips (I know they have both a takeaway and a restaurant). I have looked back at my card statements and I can see that I was charged £8.59 which I assume is a bit more than independent chip shops would charge.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

Was it Harry Ramsdens? - I was in Eastbourne myself in 2014 and after seeing a matinee at the Congress Theatre and I went over to Harry Ramsden's for some fish and chips (I know they have both a takeaway and a restaurant). I have looked back at my card statements and I can see that I was charged £8.59 which I assume is a bit more than independent chip shops would charge.
          It was indeed Harry Ramsdens. I've enjoyed eating there in the not too distant past but I certainly won't be going back again. I almost felt like I was doing the staff a favour for being there in the first place on my last visit. A bit chilly and corporate in my opinion.

There is, or was a little independent Italian fish and chip eatery in Eastbourne, well tucked away but favoured by theatre goers. Very traditional, knocked spots of Harry Ramesdens.

Eastbourne itself is well worth a visit, the carpet gardens were beautifully maintained, exotic looking plants on the seafront too!

Comment

Went once to Ramsdens....overpriced small portions, and 20p for a pickled onion!

Comment

Originally posted by W1 Rover View Post

It was indeed Harry Ramsdens. I've enjoyed eating there in the not too distant past but I certainly won't be going back again. I almost felt like I was doing the staff a favour for being there in the first place on my last visit. A bit chilly and corporate in my opinion.

There is, or was a little independent Italian fish and chip eatery in Eastbourne, well tucked away but favoured by theatre goers. Very traditional, knocked spots of Harry Ramesdens.

Eastbourne itself is well worth a visit, the carpet gardens were beautifully maintained, exotic looking plants on the seafront too!
              The only problem with Harry Ramsdens is that there are not enough of their fish and chip shops scattered around the country - they are mostly based in coastal towns and in the north of England. I would love them to open a Nottingham fish and chip shop.

I would recommend Eastbourne for the Congress Theatre as well - an afternoon matinee followed by a meal from a takeaway afterwards. I saw the In-Betweeners II at the Curzon there which was across the road from the KFC - it does makes sense to see the film or musical and then have a good meal afterwards!

One of the problems I have had with getting fish and chips after going to the theatre is that when it comes to evening performances they seem to be closed afterwards - I stayed in Truro and there was a chip shop next door (or two doors down at least) to the Hall for Cornwall (theatre). The show ended just before 10.00 pm and I was mortified that the chip shop was closed already which annoyed me because I was certain that I saw the Opening Hours sign earlier in the day and it said that it didn't close until around 10.30 am or 11.00 am. Thank goodness for Domino's Pizza as I went there instead before getting the taxi back to the hotel.

I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Be careful what you wish for!

I'm sure you must have some decent independent chippies up north?

Eastbourne has an open air theatre on the seafront, reasonably priced, nothing West End but looks good fun , haven't been yet but it's definitely on my things to do list!

Comment

There are some close to where I live although I wouldn't mind a brand name on them - coastal fish and chip shops sell food that seem tastier than city ones do. Always a fact.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                    There are some close to where I live although I wouldn't mind a brand name on them - coastal fish and chip shops sell food that seem tastier than city ones do. Always a fact.
                    Oh yes!
                    All part and parcel of the experience.
                    St Peter Port Guernsey, many moons ago. After a day trip to Herm, straight off the boat into the chippie!

Comment

Working...
                    X