• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi42
    replied
    Re: Fav radio and tv DJ

For Tommy Vance was the man
    perfect voice for TFRS

incidentally there’s quite a few Track lists and recordings available online of The Friday Rock show, but nothing regarding his show on Saturday which was called Rock on.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny77
    replied

John Peel played a lot of good stuff that you wouldn’t hear on daytime radio.It was a mixed bag though because he also played arty/experimental music that was tough to listen to.

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post

Paul Gambaccini & David Jensen; they both had distinctive voices
    I seem to recall listening to Kid Jensen on pirate radio Luxemburg in the early 70ís ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

• amethyst
    replied

Radio 2 would have been my favourite choice of radio stations but I was a fan of radio 1 many decades ago Tony Blackburn with breakfast show,Pete Murray Alan Freeman some names I remember from 60s,also use to listen to Johnny Walker radio 1 lunchtime,before going back to afternoon school

Leave a comment:

• Mr H
    replied

I liked Noel Edmonds when he presented the Radio One Breakfast Show in the seventies.I was first introduced to the music of Billy Joel and Harry Chapin via that show.When D.L.T took over from Noel I stopped listening and turned over to Rsdio 2 instead.Although I was born in 1960 and loved the pop music of the sixties and seventies I always had a soft spot for Radio 2.In the early seventies when I was off school I used to listen regularly to Pete Murray's Open House and Tony Brandon.

Leave a comment:

• poolshark
    replied

Mine was Adrian Just on a Saturday morning. It was full of funny clips from T.V. and Radio.

Leave a comment:

• hazel
    replied

I love Brian Matthew! Radio 2 isn't the same without him.

Leave a comment:

• beccabear67
    replied

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
    Brian Matthew (no S at the end)
    Oops. I'll have to keep that straight in future... file next to Cliff Richard (no S).

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Brian Matthew (no S at the end) was a great broadcaster as well - he was one of the original line up (as Genome tells us) on Radio 2. He was very much like Bob Harris as well, although I would put both of them in the same ballpark as John Peel.

Leave a comment:

• beccabear67
    replied

Did anyone like Brian Matthews? He had a good voice and was very smooth, though not as knowledgeable as John Peel. You knew it was him when you heard him. His voice turns up on a lot of 'Live at the BBC' LPs and CDs.

I have a couple of annual style books from the late '60s and early '70s with features on radio DJs, a lot of the pirate stations employed Canadians for some reason, and there was a Radio Caroline alumni living in my home town over here, the local tv station was all over him when that Ship That Rocked film was out.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

He did the Top 40 on Radio 1 in 1982-1983 - I used to keep finding C90s with his voice on, introducing the Human League, Duran Duran, Dexy's Midnight Runners and others.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
    Vance had a great voice - pity that in later years he was limited to the Radio 1 Friday Rock Show.
    Agreed, he had a great voice for rock radio and he knew his stuff.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Vance had a great voice - pity that in later years he was limited to the Radio 1 Friday Rock Show.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Tommy vance.....rock on Tommy!!!

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Originally posted by hazel View Post
    I used to love Ray Moore on Radio 2 in the '80s! "Oh, my father had a rabbit and he thought it was a duck, so he stuck it on the table with its legs cocked up..."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X