which song gets you thinking about childhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

Does anyone else like Another Brick In The Wall by Pink Floyd? This is another song that can easily qualify as reminding me of my childhood, though i'm not a fan of Pink Floyd, I only really like this song and Comfortably Numb what the Scissor Sisters later covered. When I hear this song it just transports me back into my Childhood like that and thinking of being young again and/or it reminds me very much sometimes too.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
      Does anyone else like Another Brick In The Wall by Pink Floyd? This is another song that can easily qualify as reminding me of my childhood, though i'm not a fan of Pink Floyd, I only really like this song and Comfortably Numb what the Scissor Sisters later covered. When I hear this song it just transports me back into my Childhood like that and thinking of being young again and/or it reminds me very much sometimes too.
      Yep, about 13/14 at the time and seeing the video for it on TOTP's. I was mezmorized (sp) by the walking hammers and singing school kids........................actually worked at Roger Waters house a couple of years ago, his staff kitchen was bigger than my house.

Comment

Originally posted by themilkman View Post
        Yep, about 13/14 at the time and seeing the video for it on TOTP's. I was mezmorized (sp) by the walking hammers and singing school kids........................actually worked at Roger Waters house a couple of years ago, his staff kitchen was bigger than my house.
        The film 'The Wall' came out in 1982, thats how I remember the song - 'We Don't Need No Education' as a child at Primary School/juniors...I had to look it up on the net how the song was still being sung by cheeky kids to teachers at my school when the album came out in 1979...

I can remember one teacher at my school - Mr Saunders was just as mean tempered and reminded me of the teacher in the video - all gangly limbed, tall, looming and had specs on...

This track reminds me of my childhood though as if it were only yesterday - BIG thanks to someone on here who told me the name when I asked about a while back...:

Comment

I've just listened to Spirit in the Sky by Dr and the Medics for the first time since way back and it holds a rather morbid memory for me, but not in a bad way. It takes me back to my first experience of death in the family. A great aunt of mine who I was quite close to died just before this was released. I was only 9 and puzzled by the idea of death and somebody I loved never coming back but weirdly got comfort from this song, thinking my aunt had gone to the spirit in the sky! Strange what can bring sense to a situation when you are that age.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Another song I so so like from my youth is East 17's Stay Another Day, as well too as Oasis' Wonderwall - though I guess i'm unsual here mentioning East 17 and Oasis in the same breath, as most people I knew back in the day liked either one or the other, not both.

I will always recall where I was the first time I heard Don't Look Back In Anger and Wonderwall I don't know why, I guess certain song's just forever hold nostalga of being young or otherwise.

The 2 Oasis Song's I mention I was at College in 1995 and a friend one Lunchtime said something like "listen to this" and I never aappreciated the greatness of Don't Look Back In Anger and Wonderwall but as time went on I just thought "wow, I heard these 2 song's when they were so mega" and it makes you think yeah this was my youth but will you ever appreciate such brilliance just once again, which I doubt sadly but long for to happen/occur.

**I also forgot to mention above talking as I meant to add it but had to edit my post as I temporaily forgot at the start to add - regards East 17, I don't know why it is but I have always liked the Song they did (Featuring Gabrille) - If You Ever. This is just another that stay's in my mind so regular and makes me think of being young. It is a really quiet ballad type song I think, but very un-appreciated at the same time. A great song indeed.

80sChav
            Last edited by 80sChav; 05-08-2012, 20:27.

Comment

The sounds from the early to mid 70's, my dad going out to work at 6am and leaving the radio (rediffusion on the TV) on.

I'd like to teach the world to sing.
              My sweet lord.
              The New Seekers
              Mary Hopkin

Comment

In my primary school days, from the mid 70's, there were certain ballad-type songs which immediately seemed to connect with all age groups, from my school mates to our grandparents, and which are particularly poignant. These include "Mississippi" by ***** Cat, "Northern Lights" by Renaissance, "Bright Eyes" by Art Garfunkel, "Maybe" by Thom Pace, (the theme to Grizzley Adams), "You left me just when I needed you most" by Randy Vanwarmer, "If I had you" The Corgi's, and the new Seekers as mentioned by Havasack. You get the picture!

Comment

Originally posted by Fabunova View Post
                  In my primary school days, from the mid 70's, there were certain ballad-type songs which immediately seemed to connect with all age groups, from my school mates to our grandparents, and which are particularly poignant. These include "Mississippi" by ***** Cat, "Northern Lights" by Renaissance, "Bright Eyes" by Art Garfunkel, "Maybe" by Thom Pace, (the theme to Grizzley Adams), "You left me just when I needed you most" by Randy Vanwarmer, "If I had you" The Corgi's, and the new Seekers as mentioned by Havasack. You get the picture!
                  "Mississippi" yep!
                  "Northern Lights" yep!
                  "Maybe" yep!.............

Comment

Frankie by sister sledge, really showing my age now
                    "Man who catch fly with chopsticks accomplish anything"

Comment

Well if you think that shows your age, it makes me feel right over the hill!
                      - Rik Mayall Fanpage On Facebook
                      - My retro Youtube channel.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

I remember we used to record the radio 1 chart show on sunday nights - I still have the tape with Frankie on! It also has Madonna Material Girl, my mother thought I was too young (at ten) to be listening to 'the ho' Madonna after seeing the Like a Virgin video on TOTP! and putting a Madge poster up got me some snide remarks lol Guess it would be the equivalent of a 10 yr old listening to Lady Gaga now lol. Anyhow tape also contained, View to a Kill by Duran Duran, what a great time!

Comment

I have been scanning through some episodes of TOTP from the early 80s just recently and I have rediscovered a band and a man I had forgotten all about, Buster Bloodvessel and Bad Manners. He. Is. Incredible! In one performance, for their version of the Can Can, he came bounding onto the stage in the studio dressed in a bright yellow and black old-fashioned style dress, long white frilly bloomers, big red DM boots and proceeded to do the most perfect cartwheel I have ever seen! What made it all the more impressive is that Buster is about six foot tall (so it looks to me) and is build like a brick outhouse! He is a very good antidote to the down-in-the-dumps feelings.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

LOL I am sure he must of been on the 'identity parade' line up on Never Mind The Buzzcocks!

Comment

I don't think he was on the ID parade on the show, but he was a guest on an Xmas ep, he and his band played some music and you had to guess what Xmas lyrics they were singing to the music. If Xmas sounded like that, I would get interested in it!

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

Here is it! In all it's glory!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sirHoeJ5Td8

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

Working...
                                X