1935-55 Nostalgia in the 1970s - 80s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1935-55 Nostalgia in the 1970s - 80s

There seemed to be a fair amount of nostalgia for the pre-Rock & Roll era (about 1935 to 1955) in the 1970s & 80s.

Examples include All Creatures Great & Small & many other dramas in this period. Dennis Potter's plays often used to hark back to this era.

By the end of the 80s these seemed to fade away & less period dramas with valve radios & young men in tanktops with pattens you'll only see now on novelty Christmas pullovers.

I'm sure there are many other examples.
    The Trickster On The Roof

There was the series (three actually) of A Family At War set from 1938-1945 first aired in the early '70s. And in the '80s Hi-De-Hi set in those holiday camps seemed a bit in the nostalgia line. I do remember more of the even earlier turn-of-the-century French posters being reproduced and 'art nouveau' making a come back in the early '70s. Also new editions of the old illustrated gift books such as by Arthur Rackham, mostly for sale around yuletide.
    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

A Family At War was one of the inspirations for The Sullivans which told a similar story from an Australian point of view.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
      X