No announcement yet.

Cool 1970s toys from my childhood..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my brothers got this for his bd 1976. I thought it an odd choice for an AM vehicle personally i would have gone for a tank or jeep, perhaps he asked for one and this is what he got.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cherilea---amphibious-jeep---ref-2604-p-image-353111-grande.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	281184

Comment

One of my luckier brothers was presented with this gem on xmas morning 1975 (which i refer to as the Bohemian Rhapsody xmas ) anyhoo.. i played sensible and went with family board games such as Monopoly and Scrabble..when i could of had this!

Name:	matchbox-s900-900-extremely-streak_360_9d7b1c2a402d123065bcfd0d188f4b69.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	281186

Comment

The green eyed monster raised his ugly head once again when one of my brothers recieved this on his bd. I was the one who was into space stuff!
        My dad owned a Hanimex super 8 cine camera, projector and screen (no cheap video camcorders then). Apart from the usual holiday footage he would film a home made 'production' (short themed movie) with me and my brothers as crew and cast. We did Dr Who with me as the titular time lord dressed up in mums (only) floppy hat, scarf and raincoat, with a wardrobe doubling for the TARDIS. However we also did a scene set in a rocket cockpit he titled SPACE 4. 'Special effects' included using the lift/tower part of the Streak Around above set up against he Saturn V model like a makeshift 'launchpad'. Once he filmed the lift ascending the model rocket it was hard cut to us lot dressed in 'space clobber' (matching Pippa Dee pjamas ) piloting the ship fron a console made of hardboard with tiny painted ceramic tiles for buttons. All good fun. Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpeg.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	281190

Comment

Remember these things....

Not sure if this is the exact one I had, but I remember when I used to take it round to a mate's house how all the little balls rattled like mad as I ran along!

Also how disappointed I was that the gun wouldn't fire nails very effectively when I tried to put on on the magnet at the front!

Comment

Xmas 1979 main present, wish I'de of chosen more wisely.

Name:	400x335.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	281193

Comment

A lot of toys/games from the late 60's had a space theme (wonder why??) Including this tiddly winks inspired game with a novel space race twist. I remember this only because it was on a games shelf at my nans for years literally next to where she kept the unsliced Hovis.
              Darn,cant upload as the only Google images are .webp files.

Comment

As a sci fi loving kid in the 70'S you can only imagine the effect a show like Space 1999 had on me. As usual with an Anderson production, there was bags of merch to spend pocket money on from candy cigs to lollys to die cast models. This Letraset was one of three different scenes that you could place rub on transfers of Koenig and co.

Name:	29b0b09b-43cf-47fd-8383-8c0ddb409ca9.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	281196

Comment

Being in to sci fi the Battlestar Galactica movie and subsequent t v series was a god send..and so were the toys!

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	281267

Comment

Originally posted by 70s kid View Post
                    Got this for xmas 1971. Notice the BOAC livery. Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	281179
                    Still the most beautiful plane ever built!
                    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I only ever had the little robot dog figure from the Battlestar Galactica toys, though I loved the series and read the comic book. The rest of the figures, even the Cylons all looked ****! Glad the ships were well done at least. I also had one Buck Rogers figure, a little Twiki robot. So the Galactica dagget and he got to hang out with a few Micronauts and some Star Wars stars.

I got to try the boxing robots game once when a kid brought theirs to school. I used to play the pocket version of a game with pegs named 'Master Mind' a lot... black and white pegs were yes or no about the four colored pegs someone would put in on one end of the case top... you had six tries to get four white/yes pegs...

Name:	pocketmastermind.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	281360
                      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

I was surprised that the black swivel chair quiz show Mastermind (which is still going on Monday evenings) used practically the same name as that "Master Mind" game, considering that they both launched the same time and had more or less the same name. But the again, there was a darts contest on BBC 2 back in 1981 called "Bullseye" just a month before Jim Bowen's namesake game show started.
                        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I loved the letraset action transfers , I got the Kung fu one a few times only because it had it had a transfer of a guy getting poked in the eyes with a spurt of blood squishing out
                          there was also a small letraset available at the local newsagents called mini toons ,

Comment

My sis had this, took a good while to get it set up but once it was, it was mesmerising
                            Attached Files
                            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
                              I only ever had the little robot dog figure from the Battlestar Galactica toys, though I loved the series and read the comic book. The rest of the figures, even the Cylons all looked ****! Glad the ships were well done at least. I also had one Buck Rogers figure, a little Twiki robot. So the Galactica dagget and he got to hang out with a few Micronauts and some Star Wars stars.

I got to try the boxing robots game once when a kid brought theirs to school. I used to play the pocket version of a game with pegs named 'Master Mind' a lot... black and white pegs were yes or no about the four colored pegs someone would put in on one end of the case top... you had six tries to get four white/yes pegs...

Name:	pocketmastermind.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	281360

Two of my brothers had the Cylon raider and the Colonial Viper respectively. Although the models were quality, i felt the scale of them was too small, the pilot figures only being about 15mm high. You cant really interact and play with micro figures of that scale ( the concurrent Star Wars figures were three times bigger and so more practical, this size setting the template for all future action figures). So.... i made my own Viper from a toothpaste tube box, paper, card and sellotape. I made the Viper to scale with these....

Name:	aj_08.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	281388
                              Star Toys 'Action Jacks' were cheap (50p each) and plentiful at the local toyshop. Note that the skier has a helmet similar to that of Battlestar Galactica Viper pilots, so naturally that was his new vocation once seated in my newly made cardboard Viper. The Viper i made sounds pretty hokey but it actually looked pretty good though i say it myself.

Thanks to those that have replied in this thread thus keeping it going!

Comment

Name:	spiro-2000-spirograph-denys-fisher_360_f1d0cd05e4e9b7a2288584a266da160f.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	281390

Worst present ( xmas 77) i have ever asked for! Used it once.

Comment

Working...
                                X