"'Ave You Been, Walter?" Hylda Baker Remembered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "'Ave You Been, Walter?" Hylda Baker Remembered

I used to love Hylda Baker from Nearest and Dearest. She is especially remembered for her catch phrases, "'Ave you been, Walter?" and "Oh, I must get a little hand put on this watch." Utter magic!
    Wirral Writer
    www.alantoner.com

Re: "'Ave You Been, Walter?" Hylda Baker Remembered

And she's got a website too: http://www.hyldabaker.com/#/welcome/4522018697
    Wirral Writer
    www.alantoner.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wirral Writer View Post
      I used to love Hylda Baker from Nearest and Dearest. She is especially remembered for her catch phrases, "'Ave you been, Walter?" and "Oh, I must get a little hand put on this watch." Utter magic!
      Oh yes, and her other catchphrase was: "She knows, y'know."
      Wirral Writer
      www.alantoner.com

Comment

Yes the pickle factory was funny

Welcome Jessica have fun

Comment

Her appearance on Top Of The Pops with Arthur Mullard was one of the greatest TV moments of all time.
          So funny it made me actually cry. Best version of "You're The One That I Want" ever !

Comment

I read a book about Hylda Baker a little while ago. It was written by her fan Jean Fergusson (Marina from Last of the Summer Wine). Her real life ongoing feud with Jimmy Jewel during the making of Nearest & Dearest made for fascinating reading. She sounded like a lonely woman who never really found happiness during her life and this perhaps made her misunderstood by a lot of people who thought she was difficult to work with.

Comment

I haven't read any biographies of Baker, but didn't she have to retire from performing due to Alzheimer's? I think there was a piece about it in one of the papers.

Comment

Yes you're right. She did start to forget her lines and she broke her leg during filming for the 3rd series of Not On Your Nellie. That was the to be the end of Hylda's television career.

Comment

Brilliant couple
                  sigpic
                  Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Thanks. Yes, I remember she was on TV in lots of guest spots, then suddenly she was gone.

Comment

Originally posted by akb48fan View Post
                      Yes you're right. She did start to forget her lines and she broke her leg during filming for the 3rd series of Not On Your Nellie. That was the to be the end of Hylda's television career.
                      She shouldn't have taken it too literally when they said "break a leg!"

We never see any modern day equivalents of Baker on TV any more? Wonder why?
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                      X