school days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• school days

Who can remember the teachers you loved and hated, what subjects did you love or hate and the fashion, tv programmes and the music you loved when you were at school, remember the school disco. from salemsmine.

Re: school days

Oh yes..... the most feared teacher at our junior school.... I will never forget him....

Me & my other half were at the re-opening night of our local pub a couple of months back when an 'older' gentleman asked me if I went to that same school - I answered yes, and he said, yes, I remember you Lisa, do you remember me? Erm..... no..... then he sprung it on me - that fearsome teacher ..... I felt a wave of pure terror sweep through me then pulled myself together when I realised I'm a 37yr married woman and he's now a retired teacher (albeit not quite of pension age!).

Needless to say, I had to consume another large V&T to combat the shock
    Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn....

Comment

The head of the French dept, Mr Ranuttie scared the hell out of me,he was in one of his many moods one morning and was shouting at everyone and I got a fit of the giggles, it was pure terror that started me off and I couldn't stop, a few others soon joined me, the more we tried to stop the more we would giggle, and of course we all got detention. maxine

Comment

comprehensive school 1977-82 were the best teachers for me....

Mr Taylor (metalwork) ......caught near his workshops during break? Punishment: line all up against a wall...each person got a jab in the stomach with one if his metal 'prods'

Mr Greaves (woodwork)....in order to demonstrate things he'd try a live demo...eg friction?....pupil put in a head-lock, teacher's knuckles rubbed like crazy on his head..oww!

Mr Lawrence (physics) had pet names for everyone....always playing jokes on pupils, including the old classics such as sending a kid to Mr Jones for a 'long weight' ( fav teacher..so funny...he also sold model kits Airfix / Matchbox etc from his store room!)

gotta mention the VERY old English teacher..Miss Nesbitt...we used to 'gang up' and shine the reflected sun off our digital watches onto her face whilst she read aloud

and Mr Pepper (French) who for some reason one day taught us lots of French swear words

and we still had the CANE of course in those days...
        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

The school disco. I wore a flowery patterned skirt, stripey tank top over wing collar shirt and tried to dance to Bryan Ferry love is the drug in huge platform shoes. I had really skinny legs and I have this vision in my head that I must have looked like one of those drawings little kids do of grown ups with stick legs at each corner of the skirt.

And for some strange reason we used to wet tissue paper and chuck it at the ceiling....

Comment

Originally posted by arod View Post

And for some strange reason we used to wet tissue paper and chuck it at the ceiling....
            yeh....twanged from the end of a plastic ruler, or blowpiped via an empty clear Bic biro tube...such fun!

forgot one teacher...Mr Royce (RE)..had flown bombers in the Middle East in WW2 (think Clive Dunn from Dads Army and thats his double)

He would start drawing a map of the Holy Land, Jerusalem etc as a setting to tell a tale about Jesus et al , and it would end up as a description of the bombing routes he took & the missions he carried out

fab..everyone loved him!
            sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by arod View Post
              The school disco. I wore a flowery patterned skirt, stripey tank top over wing collar shirt and tried to dance to Bryan Ferry love is the drug in huge platform shoes. I had really skinny legs and I have this vision in my head that I must have looked like one of those drawings little kids do of grown ups with stick legs at each corner of the skirt.

im rolling about laffing here

Comment

Yup, the most feared teacher in our school was a Physics teacher. He wore squeeky Clarks Commandos and would walk around the classrom and you'd dread hearing his shoes stop squeeking behind you as you knew he would then ask you something with his booming voice. He also didn't suffer fools gladly which was a minus for me. His usual introduction was "YOU BOY".

He ended up being our form tutor after we went threw a few others and we were based in a lecture theatre. A room which had the board and desk at the front then the desks were lines of benches each higher than the last.
                You'd quite happily be sitting there chatting before he showed up only to notice (too late) that it had gone deathly quiet and you were sitting on a desk facing the back. All you could do was brace for the impact as a wooden blackboard rubber normally came flying at your head, next thing you felt was almighty pain as hit you in the back of the head (flat side on if lucky) and you were engulfed by a cloud of chalk.

One of the PE teachers was almost as bad, at the end of indoors lessons he used to make us run around the gym and kick a football at us full pelt. If it hit you, you could go and get changed, if he felt you deliberately dived in front of it after the walls had taken the sting out of the shot he'd make you stand still and kick it at you. Another punishment during lessons was to hang from the wall bars with your legs in front at a right angle, if they dropped below that he'd kick the ball at you.
                If outdoors he'd make us all stand in a circle and kick the ball real hard. You had to stop it but not with your hands. If it went past you, everyone else had to do push ups while you went and retrieved the ball.

Ah those were the days.

Comment

could write a book about my teachers...all at primary were brilliant, one Mrs Marshall whom I credit with my interest in all things Sci-fantasy as each Friday afternoon she would read aloud all the Norse and Greek tales of heroes and monsters. This with a 60 a day habit that made her voice all "Brian Blessed" She also ran a comic swap shop at lunchtimes.

Secondary school was a mixed bag from the woodwork teacher Mr Doyle being caught in a compromising position with the school secretary in the "wood" store to the down right evil Mr (Spike) Carlye-metalwork who's favourite trick was to sneek up behind you and wallop your fingers with his belt/strap/tawse for not filing a piece of metal correctly. Needless to say you couldn't pick up said file for the rest of the lesson. We did have one mini-skirt wearing student french teacher where all the boys in her class developed a terrible affliction for dropping their pencils...what was that about?
                  The eyes have it!
                  sigpic

Comment

This may sound personal, but I have Asperger Syndrome, so I was mostly in special schools during my childhood. In one special school, our fave teacher was Mr Morris, he was the tallest of all the staff. But if he was sick or on a weeks course, we would have a substitute and we weren't happy. Two subs I can remember are Mrs Reynolds who was old and very strict, and Mrs Whitaker who was middle aged and also very strict.

As for my other school memories, I could probably go on.

Comment

Originally posted by wispa lover View Post
                      This may sound personal, but I have Asperger Syndrome.
                      Same here but due to not being very well known when I was at school I ended up in mixture of schools. Hated maths due the teacher not letting me go ahead in my work and also told not to be so clever. Headmaster telling me that I`d never about to anything. Did have a few nice teachers like the music teacher, pretty nice lady. Used to play different tunes on the piano as we left assembly. Remember marching out to starwars once. Sneaking out to the park at breaktime for a quick ciggy and finding most of the teachers were there smoking as well. Best teacher was the art teacher, always let me work at my own pace and always took the time to listen.

Comment

Friday afternoons in one of my old schools would be a free lesson, we'd go on the computer or get out some board games. That was in a special school, though. Did any of you get free lessons in primary schools?

Comment

. Did any of you get free lessons in primary schools?
                          Not in primary, got them in 6th form, oh no they were study periods
                          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Did any of you get free lessons in primary schools?
                            We used to get let out about an hour early on a Friday but that was about it

Comment

No, we didn't get any free lessons from what I can remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X