When does nostalgia become unhealthy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does nostalgia become unhealthy

I've been sinking in nostalgia more and more lately - life has quite dull and unexciting lately, going to sleep has been thinking of the past and dreams have been very set in the past....I want to go back to the 70's and 80's.:cry:

Re: When does nostalgia become unhealthy

I am sure a psycholgist could analyse our interest in nostalgia in detail but at the end of the day if looking at the past makes you feel a bit happier ...then who cares about the reasoning.
    Personally some of the first things I ever searched for on the internet way back when the internet was young were old tv theme tunes and pictures of long lost sweet wrappers. There were no websites like this one around then so it was a challenge to find information. I am lucky in that I have a couple of friends who have a similar interest so it makes for conversation down the pub.

I don't think it is unhealthy. Your past makes you who you are now so if your past was hopefully a happy one....enjoy reflecting on it.
    Anything that makes you happy, is legal(ish) and doesn't harm anyone is a good thing!

Comment

I think it's probably unhealthy if your obesssion impacts on your life now and unless you're friends with Doc Brown you ain't going back to the those 'happy days' any time soon.

I had a great childhood, growing up in the 60s/70s with a great mum and dad and load of friends. The memories get stronger as time goes on and are made even more poingient now that my parents aren't here anymore. I love looking back and chatting about times gone by but you've also got to find something that makes life worth living now. I've got my wife and son and a stack of interests that keep me going and I know that when my son grows up and looks back, what we're doing now will make up his memories. I don't want him remembering me as always being unhappy that I had to grow up (in age, not interests).

Only you can make your life exciting so get out there and do something about it. It doesn't mean you still can't hanker after some Spangles or other old nonsense once in a while.

Comment

Its hard to believe that over a month has passed since this thread appeared.

Sigh - the good old days of September 08 - where have they all gone?

I have some really fine memories of that month

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
          Its hard to believe that over a month has passed since this thread appeared.

Sigh - the good old days of September 08 - where have they all gone?

I have some really fine memories of that month
          I hated September 08. It was nothing like the good old days of early August.

Comment

August?

Thats not nostalgia - thats ancient history and way too long ago for this site

Comment

Don't feel guilty for having an interest in social history!
              One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

I think it can feel unhealthy because in terms of world view, it is too easy to feel that we were better off, which given some of the fashions, can be depressing.

In the early 80s, there was a magazine called New Voyager; one issue had an article on old sci fi movies. It closed with the following:

'Never go back. But don't be afraid to close your eyes and cherish the memories.'

Comment

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
                  'Never go back. But don't be afraid to close your eyes and cherish the memories.'
                  Several times when I have gone back, I've discovered memories have been false!
                  We can remember the rehearsal of memories as we replay them, and these can drift: become more idealised, or the reverse.

And of course "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

I would say overall we are just as much in danger with an obsession with the "new", as though that *had* to equate to progress.
                  Many things were better done a generation or two back...

On alert in every direction it seems we have to be.
                  "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

im not so sure nostalgia ever becomes unhealthy.
                    whats wrong with watching,playing the same games you did as a kid.

what is really wrong with thinking of and remembering your earlier days.
                    remembering back makes me happy and if thats unhealthy well ill continue to do it.

its only unhealthy if its illegal.

lets be honest as a kid everyrthing you do is adding to your memories.
                    every day is special as a kid and we should rtreasure those memories.
                    i just wish id had a diary and wrote everything down.

and i also surround myself in nostalgia wuith things i collect.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

There is a danger of thinking that the past was better in every way. I know I look back to the 80's and 90's with affection because it was my childhood and youth. I was free of the stress, trauma and life experiences of being an adult, so it appears that the world was a better place then. If I had been an adult back then I would probably disagree.
                      Last edited by Trickyvee; 28-02-2012, 18:19.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

It becomes unhealthy when you can't separate from the past from now or the future and can't move on with your life properly.
                        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I don't really know when it becomes unhealthy,but guess when it impacts on your life now.Don't forget that nostalgia is simply a longing or wanting for something that has been in our past lives.It can also be a bad thing if some memories are not all that good.

I don't think I was that nostalgic in my late teens or early twentys apart from the odd conversation with mates over watch with mother down the pub.In fact I was quite forward looking right into my 30's.But now i'm in my mid 40's I tend to look back more and more.I think the feeling of nostalgia gets stronger when things in my life tend to get more unsettled or unpredictable,so it could be a way of finding just a little bit of comfort in an uncertain world.

Often I am told what's gone is gone,and to let go over certain things.And certainly some things are best left in the past...but the thing with nostalgia is that you tend to explore them all eventually.Sometimes it's a case of looking back remembering something then asking where did I go wrong or why did I enjoy doing this or that,or just developing a small smile when you see an old friend a toy you havn't seen in donkey years.

The thing is I have started to collect some of the childrens dramas I remember as a child on dvd.Even started recently looking at the toy shelves in charity shops for toys and games I can remember as a kid.Not purchased any toys or games yet...but the urge is very strong at times.Even old copys of tv listings and comics seem interesting to me now where as 10 years ago they would not of even stirred interest at all.I even now have a feeling that I need to go through old photographs to look for any toy that seems to have got caught accidently in the field of view to see if they jog any memories.Perhaps that is taking things a bit too far I don't know.Any way since joining this forum I have got more interested in my past and certain programs,toys,sweets,etc.I often wonder if it's worth trying to write down things that I remember from time to time to keep a record of it.I think as you get older memories do start to surface of your childhood and youth.It may just be a natural process going on.

Comment

hi mate.

thing is only remember the good memories.
                            to be honest i dont see why you should let it go as its gone.
                            there are going to be many more good than bad.

Lots of peoples lives are unsettled but i doubt very much it makes all of them think of there younger days as a kid and get nostalgic.
                            to me nostalgia is a good thing it reminds us of happpy times as a kid when life was much simpler and u had not a care in the world.

Me i still watch tv shows i watched when i was very young and im not ashammed to like them.
                            shows like he man she ra, follyfoot huckleberry finn etc.

If you like nostalgia battyrat and you are interested in it let no one tell you forget about it move on its important to you so enjoy it.

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                            I don't really know when it becomes unhealthy,but guess when it impacts on your life now.Don't forget that nostalgia is simply a longing or wanting for something that has been in our past lives.It can also be a bad thing if some memories are not all that good.

I don't think I was that nostalgic in my late teens or early twentys apart from the odd conversation with mates over watch with mother down the pub.In fact I was quite forward looking right into my 30's.But now i'm in my mid 40's I tend to look back more and more.I think the feeling of nostalgia gets stronger when things in my life tend to get more unsettled or unpredictable,so it could be a way of finding just a little bit of comfort in an uncertain world.

Often I am told what's gone is gone,and to let go over certain things.And certainly some things are best left in the past...but the thing with nostalgia is that you tend to explore them all eventually.Sometimes it's a case of looking back remembering something then asking where did I go wrong or why did I enjoy doing this or that,or just developing a small smile when you see an old friend a toy you havn't seen in donkey years.

The thing is I have started to collect some of the childrens dramas I remember as a child on dvd.Even started recently looking at the toy shelves in charity shops for toys and games I can remember as a kid.Not purchased any toys or games yet...but the urge is very strong at times.Even old copys of tv listings and comics seem interesting to me now where as 10 years ago they would not of even stirred interest at all.I even now have a feeling that I need to go through old photographs to look for any toy that seems to have got caught accidently in the field of view to see if they jog any memories.Perhaps that is taking things a bit too far I don't know.Any way since joining this forum I have got more interested in my past and certain programs,toys,sweets,etc.I often wonder if it's worth trying to write down things that I remember from time to time to keep a record of it.I think as you get older memories do start to surface of your childhood and youth.It may just be a natural process going on.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                              im not so sure nostalgia ever becomes unhealthy.
                              whats wrong with watching,playing the same games you did as a kid.

what is really wrong with thinking of and remembering your earlier days.
                              remembering back makes me happy and if thats unhealthy well ill continue to do it.

its only unhealthy if its illegal.

lets be honest as a kid everyrthing you do is adding to your memories.
                              every day is special as a kid and we should rtreasure those memories.
                              i just wish id had a diary and wrote everything down.

and i also surround myself in nostalgia wuith things i collect.

collecting things can turn into hoarding...........do you hoard?

Comment

Working...
                              X