Farming programme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farming programme

There was a weekly programme that I recall been aired in the early 70s. It started by showing a couple of horses ploughing a field. The presenter had a white beard and I think he wore black framed glasses. I am guessing it was aired on a Sunday.
    Any ideas about the name of the show and preferably a video.
    Oh... Why do I want to know?
    Well, it's a series that has always stuck in my mind, which I recall watching as a child. The music I can also recall.
    Thanks.

Re: Farming programme

Was it "Out of Town"? Made by Southern - Jack Hargreaves presented, which I believe inspired the Bob Fleming character in The Fast Show.

Channel 4 showed it on Tuesdays as late as 1984, and I am certain that is how they also managed to get the rights to repeat Worzel Gummidge on Sunday mornings a couple of years later. Of course, the implication of horses could also mean something like Black Beauty or Follyfoot I assume.

When I saw the title, it made me think of the farming programmes that the different ITV regions shown on Sunday lunchtimes, although ATV / Central didn't really show them due to their landlocked status. Certainly the rural regions such as Anglia, Border, and the south west had shown farming programmes in the 1970s and 1980s, rubbing shoulders with University Challenge and Link in the 1.00 pm slot, straight after Weekend World or whatever Brian Walden presented back then. Ad breaks were always adverts for fertiliser, Levington compost, garden centres and stuff like that - well TV Cream thought it was anyway.

And I am certain that one of those regional programmes provided the source for that "the secret of a good lay is a firm bottom" outtake which was first seen on IBAOTN 5 in 1987, with a Chris Woodhead lookalike wearing a spotted tie in front of a almost tasteful green background, muttering his faux pas as he did so. The audience erupted as soon as he used the word "bottom" as any Norden-era IBAOTN audience would have done back in the 1980s of course.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

OMG. That is it. Out of Town, with the two horses ploughing.
      I just viewed the footage and theme of the programme on YouTube. It took me back to over 40 yrs. Nostalgic moment if there ever was one.
      Thanks.

Comment

Pleased that I could help.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Reminds me of watching a series in 1976 about ghosts residing in a mansion. Again, I was not able to recall the name. Then I discovered it was called 'The Ghosts of Motley Hall.' The starting credit is quite scary. I have the show on dvd. I had the urge to visit the location. Is it really as eerie as it appears on the show?

Comment

There was a series called The Ghosts of Faffner Hall from the late 1980s (made by TVS, I think), although unrelated to similarly titled Motley Hall, I thought that I would mention the title on here anyway! They could be linked however.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
              OMG. That is it. Out of Town, with the two horses ploughing.
              I just viewed the footage and theme of the programme on YouTube. It took me back to over 40 yrs. Nostalgic moment if there ever was one.
              Thanks.
              There are two volumes of it available on DVD, if you're keen:
              https://networkonair.com/all-product...-town-volume-1

Also his follow-up series, Old Country:
              https://networkonair.com/tv/2935-old-country

Comment

Working...
              X