Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First song you remember hearing and where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First song you remember hearing and where?

The very first song i remember hearing was - My boy lollipop by Millie Small. (1964) I must have been about 3 or 4.

I fell in love with little Millie and this song and i would imagine she was singing about me.
    Its a great song really joyous and happy with a great reggae beat.
    It wasn't until a couple of years ago that i actually got to see what Millie looked like when i looked her up on you tube.
    Shes as cute as a button, even as a kid i had good taste in women, lol -
    YouTube - Millie Small - My Boy Lollipop (1964) HQ
    Apparently it was the very first international ska hit, good taste in music too!

I think the first place i heard it was at a cafe down the road from our flat.
    I used to escape quite regularly by climbing on a chair undoing the latch and the toddling off down the road, most of the time i would end up at the cafe listening to the juke box, it was great fun.
    My poor mum would be frantically searching the neighborhood for me.

Re: First song you remember hearing and where?

Can you recall who played harmonica on that track???? Answer later,,

Comment

Originally posted by stellaman23 View Post
      Can you recall who played harmonica on that track???? Answer later,,

Well id be a very clever and knowledgeable lad if i knew that at 3 years old and since i wasn't ive cheated and looked it up on google.
      Something tells me your going to disappointed with the answer (i know i was) i reckon you think it was a certain spiky haired Scotsman with a croaky voice, yes?
      Well im afraid it wasn't him,

Apparently it was a guy called Pete Hogman.... I'm none the wiser ether!

Comment

The 3 that stick in my mind are They long to be close to you - Carpenters, Without you - Nilsson and Part of the union - The Strawbs.

The first two i probably heard at my Grans because my Grandad loved both tunes and i'd have been about 4 years old. The Strawbs one i remember vividly. It used to be played on local radio in the morning when i was getting ready for school.
        "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

the first songs i remember sticking in my head was these

everybody get together.. the dave clark five
          YouTube - Dave Clark Five - Everybody Get Together

pied piper... crispian st peters
          YouTube - Crispian St. Peters - Pied Piper

i used to go to my aunts who had an old dansette record player and a stack of records which i used to spend hours playing with. These two songs stuck with me then and i still love them now.
          WHO'S THE TART?

Comment

'Stand by your man' - Tammy Wynette which was released in the uk (probably Ireland too) in 1975. I was in my friend's garden and it was playing on her mam's radio. Also 'Fernando' by Abba, I was in Blackrock - a little beach resort near my home walking along the shop fronts. I can remember the sun shining on the colourful buckets and spades(and those things on sticks that blow around like little windmills) sitting in boxes outside one of the shops and Fernando playing from somewhere.
            The first song I can remember really liking was 'The Boy From New York City' by The Darts, great memories from the summer that was out.

Comment

It's hard knowing where to start, but I certainly remember Soft Cell's Tainted Love being played a lot, same with Human League's Don't You Want Me.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The first song for me would have to be Candy Man. Sammy Davis Jr. was singing it on one of the varity shows that used to be on when I was a kid, dont remember how old I was though

Comment

The first song I remember hearing was "Love Is Something, If You Give It Away" our teacher at primary school (Mrs Jenkins) used to sing it to us with her guitar. Aaaaaaw, I loved that! I'm gonna Google it and see if it was an actual song or just one she made up.....

Found it!! http://childbiblesongs.com/song-29-l...-it-away.shtml How sweet!
                  "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                  sigpic

Comment

The first song i remember that stuck in my mind,was that wonderful song:

Thunderclap Newman - Something in the Air

Comment

Streets of london Ralph mctell in my dads lorry going around the north circular,must have been early 70s when I was 4/5. And Duke of Earl/Darts (gene chandler done the original and better one)
                      "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

The first song I ever remember was "Born with a smile on my face" by Stephanie de Sykes. I still love the song and is one of my most played on my iPod now! (there's a confession and a half lol! ssssshhhh!)

Comment

My first song I remember was being sung by the Beverly sisters in 1959 (I think) about a little girl who had a dolly which said..."Mama" or "78 trombones in the hit parade" Have'nt a clue who sang it...

Katieloo

Comment

The first song that I remember was Old Friend by Phyllis Hyman. It was from the radio.

Comment

Excerpt From a Teenage Opera - better known as Grocer Jack - by Keith West, 1967. I was four when this was a current single. I remember it because it contains a children's chorus singing:

Grocer Jack, Grocer Jack
                              Is it true what Mummy says you won't come back?

My dad was called Jack, which is also why the song meant something to me. But my childish interpretation of that line was that this Jack had gone off somewhere, and was refusing to come home.

I also remember Walk Away Renee by the Four Tops and Build Me Up Buttercup by the Foundations - these always remind me of those days, combined with vague memories of a house we lived in at that time and moved out of shortly afterwards.
                              The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

Working...
                              X