Out Of Town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out Of Town

Anyone remember the brilliant Jack Hargreaves (later of original HOW tv childrens programme) in a series called Out Of Town?As a young lad listening to Jack telling tales of the countryside, showing you how to make everything from a fishing fly to grinding a mower blade, visiting country townsfolk and his calm unhurried voice with smoking his pipe was enchanting and adorable.He also made a series where he sat in his garden shed and talked and demonstrated long practised country techniques. A joy to watch and listen to for any teenage boy of the 60s and 70s (the programme actually stopped airing in 1981) when life was very much slower and more relaxed.

More...

Re: Out Of Town

loved the show so laid back an innocent just old jack and his pipe in his shed..

Comment

Original Out of Town episodes to be released on DVD after recent rediscovery
      http://wipednews.com/2012/04/24/orig...t-rediscovery/
      Last edited by Heather74; 25-04-2012, 10:01. Reason: added info to go with link

Comment

I loved old Jacks show aswell. I'll be getting the DVD.

Comment

I see that a lot of the episodes are being re-released http://shop.telegraph.co.uk/op-jhxg/...reaves-on-dvd/ on dvd along with these never seen before ones, What was your favorite episode? Being a former fisherman I would have to say the cod fishing one or fishing in a gale from episode six.

Comment

They repeated some of the episodes in the TVS region around 1994, that's the first time i saw it.....like the music

Comment

Apparently the 10 DVD box set is going to be released first.

Comment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Town-Box...7589437&sr=8-1
                sigpic

Comment

How much!!!....£114.95!!!
                  Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I used to like his appearances on How! as well as Out of Town. Poor chap wouldn't have stood a chance on today's TV. Not 'right on' at all, smoked a pipe and showed you how to use a shotgun and other no-nos.

Comment

I am certain that Out of Town was one of the top 100 entries in Channel 4's TV Moments from Hell back in around 2000 where a Talking Head on the programme said that Hargreaves was the inspiration for Bob Fleming from The Fast Show.

Channel 4 actually repeated some episodes around 1984 on Tuesdays? I assume that Southern TV's programmes were sold onto the same company that allowed Channel 4 to repeat Worzel Gummidge a couple of years later as well.

The pipe smoking thing would be so controversial these days when we are supposed to be non-smokers for health and safety reasons, and I can understand why, but pipe tobacco brands like Mellow Virginia and St Bruno were still be advertised on TV well into the early 1990s - the stereotype was that everyone had a grandfather who smoked a pipe as it was always shorthand for someone who was retired, or taking up hobbies such as fishing or writing at a bureau desk.
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                        I am certain that Out of Town was one of the top 100 entries in Channel 4's TV Moments from Hell back in around 2000 where a Talking Head on the programme said that Hargreaves was the inspiration for Bob Fleming from The Fast Show.

Channel 4 actually repeated some episodes around 1984 on Tuesdays? I assume that Southern TV's programmes were sold onto the same company that allowed Channel 4 to repeat Worzel Gummidge a couple of years later as well.

The pipe smoking thing would be so controversial these days when we are supposed to be non-smokers for health and safety reasons, and I can understand why, but pipe tobacco brands like Mellow Virginia and St Bruno were still be advertised on TV well into the early 1990s - the stereotype was that everyone had a grandfather who smoked a pipe as it was always shorthand for someone who was retired, or taking up hobbies such as fishing or writing at a bureau desk.
                        Never thought about the Bob flemming connection,now it seems obvious but i dont recall Jack coughing his lungs up all the time,also the worlds gone mad if you cant be seen smoking a pipe on tv...dont you think?
                        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                          Never thought about the Bob flemming connection,now it seems obvious but i dont recall Jack coughing his lungs up all the time,also the worlds gone mad if you cant be seen smoking a pipe on tv...dont you think?

Harold Wilson would smoke his pipe when being interviewed on TV. He would have a puff when being asked a question as it gave him an extra couple of seconds to consider his response.

Comment

Working...
                          X