• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan Clubs

Who were members of fan clubs?

It was a way to follow your favourite bands

Nowadays there seem to be only a few about; if any
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Twocky61; 04-06-2018, 10:48.
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Fan Clubs

Do you know whether if there is a modern day equivalent of that book, and if so, how often would it be published?

That book seems like a Who's Who of pop music from, I assume around 1983-1984 - I assume that it was partly inspired the NOW! albums that still go strong to this very day.

I wish I could go back in time 35 years and take advantage of the info in that book.

(By the way, my house had that same sort of wallpaper 30 years ago when we had it decorated...)
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

lol
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

(By the way, my house had that same sort of wallpaper 30 years ago when we had it decorated...)
        lol
        sigpic

Comment

The nearest thing to a fan club guide is this website:

http://www.fanclub.org.uk/

Not just singers & bands, but also sports stars, actors, objects & items
          sigpic

Comment

I was in The Sweet's fan club for a coupla years in the mid-70s...
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I was in Queen's fan club.

Comment

Music wise A friend thought it was a great ides to join the Elvis Presley fan club (or one of them anyway) and for some reason thought it was a good idea to join me as well including paying for it. Not cool. Never did like Elvis and this friend was enough anyway but being a part of this club must of been one of his sick jokes. Well I felt sick every time he shoved one of their publications under my nose.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                  The nearest thing to a fan club guide is this website:

http://www.fanclub.org.uk/

Not just singers & bands, but also sports stars, actors, objects & items

Cheers. I know that fan clubs were going strong so much in the 1980s and 1990s but you hardly ever hear about them very often these days - they usually point you in the direction of the artiste's record or publishing company these days.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

These days there are plenty of fansites for celebs & you can often follow them on Facebook & Twitter.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I was also (briefly) in the fan club of The Adult Net - featuring Brix, later of The Fall

Comment

Speaking of fan clubs, and also considering the irony of Julian Clary's late 1980s moniker, did Joan Collins really have a fan club of her own?

I know that Clary had to drop the name because Collins (and her legal team) didn't like him using it, but ironically enough Clary and Collins worked together in panto at the Birmingham Hippodrome a few years ago, so I assume that she forgave him for it eventually!
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I suppose mailing lists are the norm nowadays.

Back in the days of MSN, I would occasionally get a pop-up saying something like "You have received a new mail from Elvis Presley"!

Uh-huh, uh-huh...

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post

Who were members of fan clubs?

It was a way to follow your favourite bands

Nowadays there seem to be only a few about; if any
                            I'm more confused as to why some bands / artists don't have FanForums ??

The ones I used to frequent were
                            really popular and a great source of knowledge ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I was never in any, but wanted to be in them I'd hazzard to say at a fair guess. Though of course it was like sending off to your fave Footy Club - you needed a full adress re;, for me the Barclays/Ensligh Directory's and that was the only way pre-net days without question

On a similar note - I heard that fan clubs etc etc had Pen Pal Facility's and Swap Shop's that I'd surre sure dreamed of being involved with

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                              X