Re: Computer game magazine scans.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Comment

^

I didn't own a NES until 1999 when a crazy friend sold me his boxed Mario 3 pack for £6. But for Christmas 1990 I got a Master System then 2 weeks later in the January sales my older sister's boyfriend bought the NES, his came with the first Super Mario. I was in first year of high school at the time and Christmas 1990 was a Christmas that we all seemed to get a console. Most of us got lucky and got either a Master System or a NES. My 2 friends the Pauls both got unlucky. Paul C got the GX 4000 which came with that ridiculously easy driving game: Burning Rubber and all in only about 38 games were released for the GX. Paul McK got the Atari 7800 which also wasn't up to much. When I went over to his for a shot (he lived across the backdoor from me) the games he had only seemed to be souped up versions of what I had on the 2600. For some strange reason Atari used the 2600's sound chip in the 7800 (I don't think the 5200 got a UK or PAL release). The 7800 also had the worst control pads I've ever used, they had these weird little joystick type things attached to them that broke really easily.

With me being in high school and games being quite expensive for the consoles I would take my Sega games and my sister's boyfriend's NES games into school and swap them for other people's games. This meant that we both got through lots of different Sega and Nintendo games but the Castlevanias on the NES was a series that I totally missed out on. I don't ever remember anyone owning one of them on the NES, although I did get a shot of the first Castlevania in a local toy shop.

I wonder if the NES Castlevanias were poor sellers because in the PAL region they seem quite hard to come across and any I've seen on Ebay go for silly prices (especially Castlevaina 3). I've watched a few vids of Castlevania 3 on You Tube and it looks great. Konami came up with some awesome franchises on the Nintendo consoles whereas Nintendo themselves seem a bit lazy. Nintendo have been trading in the same 3 franchises for decades now: Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart. Sega's own inhouse developers were good enough to come up with enough good games to sustain an entire console (the Master System) I think if Nintendo hadn't tied up the big Japanese developers in what turned out to be illegal, make games for only us contacts I think Sega would have blown away Nintendo in the 8 bit wars. I think Capcom and Konami would have done amazing things with the Master System.

Oops, sorry about another TL;DR post.

Comment

think i got a nes in the late eighties legend of zelda is one game i remember having or did my older brother have it.

All that for 6 quid thats a bargain indeed.
          How did you find the computer and its games.

Regarding nes castlevania games i cant think of many people who had them either they where released in large numbers and very few peeps bought them or they just didnt release many for the euro pal market.

Nintendo also did donkey kong along with zelda,mario,and mario kart AND F ZERO.

I LIKE LONG POSTS.

Originally posted by trip2themoon View Post
          ^

i didn't own a nes until 1999 when a crazy friend sold me his boxed mario 3 pack for £6. But for christmas 1990 i got a master system then 2 weeks later in the january sales my older sister's boyfriend bought the nes, his came with the first super mario. I was in first year of high school at the time and christmas 1990 was a christmas that we all seemed to get a console. Most of us got lucky and got either a master system or a nes. My 2 friends the pauls both got unlucky. Paul c got the gx 4000 which came with that ridiculously easy driving game: Burning rubber and all in only about 38 games were released for the gx. Paul mck got the atari 7800 which also wasn't up to much. When i went over to his for a shot (he lived across the backdoor from me) the games he had only seemed to be souped up versions of what i had on the 2600. For some strange reason atari used the 2600's sound chip in the 7800 (i don't think the 5200 got a uk or pal release). The 7800 also had the worst control pads i've ever used, they had these weird little joystick type things attached to them that broke really easily.

With me being in high school and games being quite expensive for the consoles i would take my sega games and my sister's boyfriend's nes games into school and swap them for other people's games. This meant that we both got through lots of different sega and nintendo games but the castlevanias on the nes was a series that i totally missed out on. I don't ever remember anyone owning one of them on the nes, although i did get a shot of the first castlevania in a local toy shop.

I wonder if the nes castlevanias were poor sellers because in the pal region they seem quite hard to come across and any i've seen on ebay go for silly prices (especially castlevaina 3). I've watched a few vids of castlevania 3 on you tube and it looks great. Konami came up with some awesome franchises on the nintendo consoles whereas nintendo themselves seem a bit lazy. Nintendo have been trading in the same 3 franchises for decades now: Mario, zelda and mario kart. Sega's own inhouse developers were good enough to come up with enough good games to sustain an entire console (the master system) i think if nintendo hadn't tied up the big japanese developers in what turned out to be illegal, make games for only us contacts i think sega would have blown away nintendo in the 8 bit wars. I think capcom and konami would have done amazing things with the master system.

Oops, sorry about another tl;dr post.
          Last edited by darren; 04-10-2016, 16:15.

Comment

Comment

LOVED THIS GAME THE ARCADE VERSION.

Comment

ANOTHER FAVE.

Comment

Comment

Comment

• Re: Computer game magazine scans.

Comment

Comment

Looking at those reviews of the old Playstation games I can't help thinking that the system has aged terribly. Sometimes it's like going back to an Atari when you compare it to what we have today. When I fire up my SNES I'm still blown away by the graphics and sound on games like Contra 3, Super Ghouls and Ghosts and Axelay.

The Playstation didn't really have the capabilities to run good 3D polygon type games, games like Tomb Raider and Ridge Racer look really primitive now. When the N64 came along it had some great looking 3D games like Mario 64 and Wave Race. I had hoped to see the big arcade companies bring out their back catalogues for it. When Konami and Capcom brought their arcade games to it they brought out their ancient, early 80s stuff. Circus Charlie gets boring real quick. Loved the Smart Cartridge on the Playstation, the one you would attach to the back of the system. With that I was able to run a NES and Master System emulator on it.

Comment

Originally posted by trip2themoon View Post
                            Looking at those reviews of the old Playstation games I can't help thinking that the system has aged terribly. .
                            Well it was 20 years ago! The problem is that you're comparing it to now, at the time I remember it being jaw dropping. Playing Formula One I thought there was no way graphics could get more realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                              Well it was 20 years ago! The problem is that you're comparing it to now, at the time I remember it being jaw dropping. Playing Formula One I thought there was no way graphics could get more realistic.

Age doesn't matter because the 16bits still hold up today. The Playstation looks terrible because it had 3D graphics forced upon it that it wasn't really capable of running. It wasn't until the N64 came along 3D games started to look decent and the N64 still holds up well. The Playstation should have had more arcade conversions, it's Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands and Strider were wonderful.
                              Last edited by trip2themoon; 13-10-2016, 15:42.

Comment

But at the time, it did look amazing. As I said, playing Formula One, I thought it was almost TV like at the time. (But looking back at it now it was far from it).

Comment

Working...
                                X