Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: school days

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
    We were given severe detention if we wagged school. Usually mean we were denied the monthly film.. which I so looked forward to.
    Sounds like you are psychologically scarred by your school days Donald, sue the *******s for mental torture.
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I answered this yesterday tex. Post has vanished. Not first time this has happened?

Basicly I said that I suppose I was a little scarred by my time at this boarding school. It deprived me of having a normal childhood. The brutal truth is I never forgave my mother for taking me there.. until the day of her funeral. I bawled over her coffin.

Comment

Do you think that kids who attended boarding schools can have a 'normal' life as an adult or is their mind too clouded by the fact that they didn't have a normal childhood?

The way I see things is that boarding school is one thing but the way the school is run is another thing.

I have read Boy by Roald Dahl which describes his experience in two boarding schools. They both come across to me as unpleasant places I would not have wanted to attend, but I can't help thinking that the book is sugar coated and intended as entertainment rather than factual reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
          Do you think that kids who attended boarding schools can have a 'normal' life as an adult or is their mind too clouded by the fact that they didn't have a normal childhood?

The way I see things is that boarding school is one thing but the way the school is run is another thing.

I have read Boy by Roald Dahl which describes his experience in two boarding schools. They both come across to me as unpleasant places I would not have wanted to attend, but I can't help thinking that the book is sugar coated and intended as entertainment rather than factual reading.
          I think by the time he went to Repton, his second school he was more savvy to how things worked & knew how to stay out of trouble, but was enough of a maverick not to be made a prefect, even though he was the captain of 2 sports teams.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Other than my missed childhood.. I would say I have lived a relatively normal life. My 10 years at this draconian establishment did not harm me mentally. Not sure Roald Dahl was sugar coating his own boarding school experiences. Deprivation from the norm is not a very pleasant thing..specially when you are not much older than a toddler.

Comment

I can't get over that event with the broken pen nib in prep when Captain Hardcastle went ballistic and accused Roald Dahl of cheating. If I was in that situation I would be tempted to stab Captain Hardcastle with the pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
                We were given severe detention if we wagged school. Usually mean we were denied the monthly film.. which I so looked forward to.
                I suppose that is one of the reasons why they played truant - to avoid the detention, ironically enough.

The closest that I ever did to that sort of thing was on Wednesdays during my final year at school - the company I had work experience with had offered me to work for them on Wednesday afternoons. I usually went home for dinner at lunchtimes, but as the workplace had superb cooking facilities - (microwave oven, cooker, toaster, etc - something that I thought that my training company also had but they didn't), I used to nip into a supermarket or a corner shop and get something frozen to have for lunch there, and the staff would put it in the oven when I arrived.

Now, for one or two weeks, I used to take the whole Wednesday morning off and get my lunch at leisure, although I did go to my workplace in the afternoon. I used to catch a bus where the stop was within walking distance route of the school - not a single EWO, police officer, social worker, council worker, or anyone else took any notice of me. One reason was because most weeks I had to remain in school until lunchtime which didn't give me much time to get some lunch from the shop and then get the two buses to my workplace - at least I was on time for that. I had to say that I did enjoy my workplace compared to school - unlike the teachers at school, I felt as if I was with the people I was working with there, and not against them.

I don't ever remember the school getting suspicious regarding that - I assume that if they thought I would be absent from school then they must think that I would have been absent from the work experience as well, which I wasn't.
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

school days

I loved my small local primary school .. I was their blue eyed boy.. I seemed to be the best at all the subjects apart from English ( dyslexic/ Aspergers) even the best footballer and I'm still the youngest player to make the first team ( when I was three years younger than the others ) .
                  I was one of only two who passed the grammar school entrance exam but my parents couldn't afford to send me .

Instead I went to the 'free' grammar school by passing the 11 plus and went from loving school to HATING every second [emoji20]

Too big and bustling, I was the only one of three school mates to go there and even then they split us up .. there were too many changes in classrooms and teachers ... I basically shrank into the background and barely survived the ordeal ..

I hated English ( and the bullying , sexist English teacher) and for the last two years I skipped his classes when they were after dinner . I just used to go to registration then carefully creep out if the back doors and walked home ... I went via the local shopping precinct to kill time and not give my parents any idea that I was skipping school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                    I loved my small local primary school .. I was their blue eyed boy.. I seemed to be the best at all the subjects apart from English ( dyslexic/ Aspergers) even the best footballer and I'm still the youngest player to make the first team ( when I was three years younger than the others ) .
                    I was one of only two who passed the grammar school entrance exam but my parents couldn't afford to send me .

Instead I went to the 'free' grammar school by passing the 11 plus and went from loving school to HATING every second [emoji20]

Too big and bustling, I was the only one of three school mates to go there and even then they split us up .. there were too many changes in classrooms and teachers ... I basically shrank into the background and barely survived the ordeal ..

I hated English ( and the bullying , sexist English teacher) and for the last two years I skipped his classes when they were after dinner . I just used to go to registration then carefully creep out if the back doors and walked home ... I went via the local shopping precinct to kill time and not give my parents any idea that I was skipping school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Your story is like mine and sure sounds like it Zincubus, in=partuicular at Primary but not to the same degree as you went through at Secondary

At my Primary "yeah we fell out and had fave best mates2 but at Secoindary that changed from us all being mates at Primary - even if 2nd/3rd best of others to like nothing and loosing my best friend of what - 7, 8, 9 years after 1st Year/Year 7 at Secondary. We have met up about 5 times since we all left - me to another school in 3rd Year, but it was never the same with me and him and I sure, sure dreamed of "Boy's/Girls Own Stuff" with him like Tucker, Benny and Alan in Grange Hill (not as I realised that then) but you know being the Arthur Daily/Del Boy of our youth/s!!

80sChav

Comment

I can barely remember my primary school days. Our principal was called Barry Allan Fenton.. we called him BAF. Heck imagine remembering that from all those years ago. I was always a good speller and reader. I spent a lot of time in the little library. I remember when we first started actually writing with a pen and ink.. I also enjoyed coloring in. I do recall having a talk about the Australian indigenous Dreamtime. I was fascinated by that.

Comment

I lay in bed unable to sleep last night and started to think about my primary school, i started painting a mental portrait of every room and corridor and 50 years on i was able to recall every detail, wierd really as most days i can't recall my own name.

Comment

MY PRIMARY SCHOOL WHICH I ATTENDED 79 TO ABOUT 85 OR 86

WHEN I WAS THERE IT HAD A FEW MOBILE CLASSROOMS NOT SURE IT STILL DOES.

IT STILL HAS HUGE AREAS FOR SPORTS.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Darren, mobile classrooms ...are they actually static to accomodate overspill or do they actually move between other schools, i have to say i never heard of mobile classrooms.
                            Your school looks just like mine did and probably hundreds of others, i reckon they all came out of a mould a bit like the countries hospitals and police stations.

Comment

My Infant school had mobile classrooms - there was already one there when I started, and my class moved into a second one after our old classroom was being decorated. When I went back for a reunion in the mid 1990s, they had been replaced by an extension to the main building - that picture reminds me of that school.
                              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I can remember at my village infant school a large 'mobile' classroom arriving, it caused a bit of excitement as our school was a very old Victorian one so it was a bit of a novelty having such a 'modern' classroom amongst the old buildings. I have fond memories of our infant school, it was a few minutes walk from my home and backed on to a sloping woodland, I can still to this day (I'm in my 40's now) recall the smell of the old wood and disinfectant, it was a nice smell. A highlight for me was milk time... I used to love getting the little glass half pint bottles of milk, one day I accidentally swallowed a fly whilst doing a roly poly at playtime but soon got over it as it meant they gave me my milk early to wash it down lol

Comment

Working...
                                X