Christmas TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas TV

This is the article in question darren https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...re-thatcherism and yes I do agree with a lot of it but I don't blame Thatcher for that at all.

Comment

Here's another article about Christmas TV past: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...y-9015188.html

Comment

Originally posted by akb48fan View Post
        This is the article in question darren https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...re-thatcherism and yes I do agree with a lot of it but I don't blame Thatcher for that at all.
        It's as daft as the idea that Grange Hill is responsible for everything wrong in modern society.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Personally I think that everything changed when Bill Cotton left his post as Controller of BBC1 in 1981. Cotton's legacy at the BBC is immense and it's probably why many view the 70's as the golden age of TV. Acts such as Morecambe & Wise for example flourished under him.

Comment

I find it quite interesting that Neil Clark mentions in his Guardian article a little known comedy outside of Wales called Glas Y Dorlan (The Kingfisher). It was a very funny Welsh language sitcom centered around a village police station with various antics going on. It was very popular as I recall during it's 2 year run and it ended way too soon after just 12 episodes.

Comment

One year Sharon Osbourne did an alternative Queen's Speech on C4 against the BBC's real Queen's Speech lokl
              sigpic
              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Channel 4 often shows the same sort of things as BBC2 at Christmas, mostly operas & ballets for those with more highbrow tastes.

TV Cream mentioned this is the few ways to recapture feel of the Jeremy Irons era of Channel 4.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I am more of a die-hard traditionalist, going for the Midnight Mass, the Christmas Morning Service and The Queen at 3.00 pm on Christmas Day. And perhaps the film on after the Queen, which on ITV means DFS adverts in the break and sales that start 10.00 am Boxing Day. As I still think of the real meaning of Christmas, even if the broadcasters have forgotten.

It's a pity that comedy programmes have been replaced by soap operas since the 1990s. I know Morecambe and Wise are no longer alive to do new shows, but even Strictly isn't quite entertainment as that was. EastEnders actors are of more use in pantomime in December, rather than in a soap opera.

It wasn't until the 1990s that I discovered the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures, and I tune in every year for that in between Christmas and New Year. I learnt more in that programme than I ever did in Maths, science or technology lessons at school.
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Where I am, one of the local TV stations, KTLA Channel 5, was synonymous with holiday programming in the '70s and '80s. On 4th of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas they would air every single episode of the The Twilight Zone back to back. And during the Christmas season they would air such holiday films as It's a Wonderful Life, Laurel & Hardy's Babes in Toyland, and the 1939 animated Gulliver's Travels.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                      I am more of a die-hard traditionalist, going for the Midnight Mass, the Christmas Morning Service and The Queen at 3.00 pm on Christmas Day. And perhaps the film on after the Queen, which on ITV means DFS adverts in the break and sales that start 10.00 am Boxing Day. As I still think of the real meaning of Christmas, even if the broadcasters have forgotten.

It's a pity that comedy programmes have been replaced by soap operas since the 1990s. I know Morecambe and Wise are no longer alive to do new shows, but even Strictly isn't quite entertainment as that was. EastEnders actors are of more use in pantomime in December, rather than in a soap opera.

It wasn't until the 1990s that I discovered the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures, and I tune in every year for that in between Christmas and New Year. I learnt more in that programme than I ever did in Maths, science or technology lessons at school.
                      True George I agree wuith you about Soaps and Comedy's, but I think Comedy and Soap can go together habd in hand - just as we are devoid of decent Comedy's for a full year, regardless of an extra-length Xmas Special of them, sadly!!!

Being in a few Sat nights early on recently as proved what utter tripe is on Telly on a Sat now, when TV used to be filled with funny shows like Noel's House Party, Big Break etc on a Sat night .... now we have nothing of any note (unless it involves Celebs or Wannabes)!!!

80sChav

Comment

Very good article just read it now.

Originally posted by akb48fan View Post
                        this is the article in question darren https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...re-thatcherism and yes i do agree with a lot of it but i don't blame thatcher for that at all.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Yes, I think that an hour and a half of Only Fools and Horses, or One Foot in the Grave was overdoing it a bit - if they were movie spin-offs, that wouldn't be too bad.

The Generation Game was another show that was on Saturday nights, and made it to Christmas Day as well. Brucie will always be the best host.
                          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Christmas Eve 1981 - Thursday 24th December 1981 - BBC-1 Television
                            9:20am Gymnast (women's floor exercises)
                            9:45am Jackanory: Sinead Cusack reads The Black Lamb of Bethlehem (repeat)
                            10:05am The Perils of Penelope Pitstop (repeat)
                            10:25am Why Don't You ...? Games for Christmas
                            10:50am Play Chess: combinations
                            11:00am Go With Noakes: Rathin Island
                            11:30am King of the Rocket Men
                            11:40am The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew Mysteries
                            12:30pm News After Noon
                            12:45pm King Rollo (repeat)
                            12:50pm Stop-Go
                            1:00pm El Cid (1961 film) starring Charlton Heston, Sophia Loren
                            3:55pm Play School
                            4:20pm Mighty Mouse (cartoon)
                            4:25pm Jackanory: Cheryl Campbell reads The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen
                            4:40pm A Very Merry Cricket (cartoon)
                            5:05pm Bluer Peter
                            5:35pm Willo the Whisp
                            5:40pm News, with Moira Stuart
                            5:55pm Tom and Jerry (cartoon) The Night before Christmas
                            6:05pm The Little and Large Show: guests, Lulu, Madness, Stutz Bear Cats
                            6:35pm Top of the Pops: with David Jensen and Zoo
                            7:15pm Are You Being Served? A difficult 90th birthday gift for old Mr Grace. It's a coat of arms.
                            7:45pm The Kenny Everett Television Show (
                            8:15pm The Poseidon Adventure (1972 film) starring Gene Hackman, Ernest Borgnine, Shelley Winters
                            10:10pm News, with Moira Stuart
                            10:25pm The Good Old Days: Old-time variety from the City Varieties Leeds
                            Chairman: Leonard Sachs
                            Guests: Roy Castle, John Inman, Barry Howard (of Hi-de-hi), Eira Heath, Jimmy Cricket, Richard Aranciba,
                            Cismotheka and members of the Players Theatre in London
                            11:15pm Peace in No Man's Land: Christmas time on the Western Front 1914
                            11:50-12:50am Midnight Mass of the Nativity: from the Chapel of the Convent of Mercy, Strabane, Northern Island.

Christmas Eve 1981 - Thursday 24th December 1981 - BBC-2 Television
                            11:00-11:25am Play School
                            2:50pm Harold Lloyd: Girl Shy (1924 film)(b-w)
                            3:55pm Summer Holiday (1962 film) starring Cliff Richard, Lauri Peters, David Kossoff, Ron Moody
                            5:40pm All Creatures Great and Small (repeat)
                            6:35pm The Belstone Fox (1973 film) starring Eric Porter, Jeremy Kemp, Heather Wright
                            8:15pm News, with Moira Stuart
                            8:20pm One Hundred Great Paintings, with David Piper: Raphael's Madonna on the Meadow
                            8:30pm Christmas Eve with Pam Ayres and Fivepeny Piece, from the Spectrum Theatre, near Warrington
                            9:00pm Star Over Bethlehem: A multi-nation Christmas satellite link.
                            10:00pm The Old Grey Whistle Test: Toyah Wilcox, live concert from Theatre Royal, Drury Lane (also in stereo on Radio 1)
                            11:05pm News, with Moira Stuart
                            11:15pm Russell Harty at Home: from Settle, Yorkshire
                            12:05-12:50am Liszt's Christmas Tree Suite: Pianist Rhondda Gillespie

Christmas Eve 1981 - Thursday 24th December 1981 - ITV - Thames Television (London)
                            9:30am Little Blue: tale of a baby elephant
                            9:40am Get Up and Go! Beryl Reid and Mooncat
                            9:55am Chorlton and the Wheelies
                            10:25pm Clapperboard: Clips from the Superman films
                            11:00pm Christmas Lillies of the Field (1979 TV film) starring Billy Dee Williams
                            12:30pm Abolish Christmas! The case for and against Christmas.
                            Bill Grundy is against, Dr John Rae, headmaster of Westminster School is for
                            1:00pm News
                            1:20pm Thames News
                            1:30pm Morris with Music and Ulster: Christmas concert in Belfast with host Johnny Morris
                            2:30pm Jason and the Argonauts (1963 film) starring Todd Armstrong, Nancy Kovack, Gary Raymond
                            4:15pm Ad Lib: The Christmas trees of Castle Howard in Yorkshire
                            4:45pm Theatre Box: You Must Believe All This: musical play based on Dicken's story Holiday Romance
                            5:45pm News
                            6:00pm Thames News
                            6:35pm Crossroads
                            7:00pm Give Us A Clue: host Michael Aspel, team captains Lionel Blair, Una Stubbs, guest Terry Scott
                            7:30pm Only When I Laugh (comedy series): Christmas celebrations in the hospital ward,
                            with James Bolam, Peter Bowles, Christopher Strauli
                            8:00pm London Night Out: host Tom O'Connor
                            guests: Rolf Harris, Jenny Lee Wright, Basil Brush, choir of Winchester Cathedral
                            9:00pm Scrooge (1970 film) starring Albert Finney
                            10:15pm News
                            10:30pm Scrooge (film continued)
                            11:25-12:30am Midnight Communion from Newcastle Cathedral

Christmas Day 1981 - Friday 25th December 1981 - BBC-1 Television
                            8:40am Star Over Bethlehem (repeat of last nights BBC2 seven-nation musical link up)
                            9:40pm The Flumps
                            9:55pm Rolf at Christmas: Rolf Harris in Chester with 200 children, guests: Keith Harris, Darts
                            10:30am Christmas Morning Service: The Royal Family at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle.
                            11:50am The Donald Duck Story. part 1 (cartoon biography) (part 2 tomorrow)
                            12:30pm Tom Thumb (1958 film) starring Russ Tamblyn, Peter Sellers, Terry-Thomas, Jessie Matthews, June Thorburn
                            2:00pm Top of the Pops '81: with Peter Powell, Dave Lee Travis, and Zoo
                            3:00pm The Queen's Christmas Message to the Commonwealth
                            3:15pm Larry Grayson's Generation Game: with Isla St. Clair
                            4:10pm In Search of the Castaways (1961 Disney film) starring Hayley Mills, Maurice Chevalier
                            5:45pm Jim'll Fix It: Jimmy Savile
                            6:25pm News, with Moira Stuart
                            6:35pm Paul Daniels' Magical Christmas
                            7:15pm Last of the Summer Wine
                            7:45pm The Two Ronnies: guests Sheena Easton, Chas and Dave
                            8:35pm Dallas: Bobby and Miss Ellie put some difficult to the no-good JR.
                            9:25pm Loophole (1981 film) starring Albert Finney, Martin Sheen
                            11:05pm News, with Moira Stuart
                            11:15pm Parkinson on Comedy: Some of the best moments from Michael Parkinson's past shows featuring comedians
                            including Bob Hope, Dave Allen, Rowan Atkinson
                            12:15-12:45am Christmas Night with The Spinners: from the Royal Hall, Harrogate

Christmas Day 1981 - Friday 25th December 1981 - BBC-2 Television
                            11:00-11:25am Play School: Carol Leader and Ben Thomas read The Christmas Story
                            2:05pm Harold Lloyd: The Freshman (1925 film) (b-w)
                            3:15pm A Charlie Brown Christmas
                            3:40pm Uproar in Heaven (Chinese cartoon) featuring Monkey
                            5:25pm Joseph and Child: scultor Arthur Dooley
                            5:40pm Sounds of Christmas: carols and festive music from the Royal Albert Hall, London, introduced by Richard Stilgoe
                            6:35pm The Queen's Christmas Message to the Commonwealth
                            6:50pm One Hundred Great Paintings, with Edwin Millins: Leonardo Da Vinci's Virgin and Child with St. Anne
                            7:00pm Dersu Uzala (1975 Russian film)
                            9:15pm News, with Moira Stuart
                            9:25pm Margot Fonteyn introduces the London Festival Ballet
                            10:30pm Country Holiday: Country music show
                            11:15-1:05am The War Between Men and Women (1972 film) starring Jack Lemmon

Christmas Day 1981 - Friday 25th December 1981 - ITV - Thames Television (London)
                            9:00am Worzel's Christmas Special
                            10:00am Christmas Family Worship: from Duke Street Baptist Church, in Richmond, Surrey
                            11:00am The Dazzle: Edna O'Brien reads her story
                            11:30am We Six Kings: The King's Singers, from Nostell Priory, Yorkshire
                            12:00noon The Three Lives of Thomasina (1964 Disney film) starring Patrick McGoohan, Susan Hampshire
                            1:45pm A Wedding in the Family: An unusual view of the July 29 royal wedding
                            3:00pm The Queen's Christmas Message to the Commonwealth
                            3:15pm Dr. No (1962 James Bond film) starring Sean Connery, Ursula Andress
                            5:15pm This is Your Life
                            5:45pm News from ITN
                            5:50pm The Muppet Movie (1978 film) starring Mel Brooks, Bob Hope, James Coburn, Telly Savalas

Christmas Day 1981 - Friday 25th December 1981 - ITV - London Weekend Television (LWT)
                            7:40pm Game for a Laugh: Henry Kelly, Sara Kennedy, Jeremy Beadle
                            8:30pm It'll be Alright on the Night (3): Dennis Norden
                            9:35pm Harry and Walter Go tO New York (1976 film) starring Michael Daine, James Caine, Diane Keaton
                            11:40pm Rising Damp: Leonard Rossiter, Richard Beckinsale (repeat of Christmas edition)
                            12:10-12:20am Star in the Sky: carols sung by children of St Richard's with St Andrew's School, Ham, Richmond, Surrey

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Moira Stuart was a busy lady that year.

Interesting schedule and thanks for posting it. Only 3 channels but so much more that I would sit down and watch, rather than today with the myriad of channels but virtually nothing that interests me. Thankfully, 1981 was free of celebrities attempting to dance. Dr. No was the Bond film that year and I would guess that this was towards the start of the Christmas Day Bond tradition for ITV.

Comment

Henry Kelly (Christmas Day 1981, 7.40pm) went on to be the first presenter on Classic FM in 1992.

Comment

Working...
                                X