25 Years since leaving school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 Years since leaving school

Today (Friday 15th March 2019) marks 25 years to the day since I walked out for school for good and hung up my school uniform for the last time. Yes - it was around 3.10 pm on Tuesday 15th March 1994 when it happened. No, I wasn't expelled or anything like that, I just couldn't stomach any more "routine" of facing people I would have wanted to avoid such the odd bully and disagreeable teacher. I was a regular at my main library so I still got an education in that respect afterwards, before the training programmes started later on that year. I bet that this was a bit like what VE Day was like when the Second World War ended in May 1945.

I was to have stayed on until May of that year, but I had enough of the place, after the bullying and everything else that had happened - in fact, something did happen in February of that year and that was the final straw as far as I was concerned. I was just glad to get out of the place. It was also poetic justice that the council had closed the school down a year later as well because by then there were only a few pupils left - they probably done a bunk a bit like myself!

I almost feel like celebrating as it felt like a breakthrough, but it was just another day for everyone else. Never mind Brexit, but it leaving school felt like some form of independence which would get me ready in time for adulthood in two years' time. I do try and sever links from school days, although I am still in touch with a teacher and a girl from my form who sent me birthday and Christmas cards last year. I have mellowed a little bit since, I hope so.

Do people mark or at least acknowledge anniversaries of when they left school? I feel that the further away we go from those days, there is just a little bit more reason to acknowledge it. Just think of it as being water under the bridge, and not about the bad things that happened at the time.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: 25 Years since leaving school

It has been nearly 41 years since I left school, May 1978. There was a reunion back in 1994, but I didn't go as my wife was heavily pregnant. To be honest, I don't acknowledge the anniversary of my leaving much, only noting that it was 25, 30, 40 years ago or whatever it was. If I remember correctly, the last day was just an ordinary day with normal lesons. Some of the girls got a bit emotional at last form registration and there was much passing around autograph-style books for messages to be written. I wasn't sad, but just regretful that I probably wouldn't see too much of the girls I liked anymore. As for classmates, well I wasn't that bothered. Most were in other classes anyway, though I quickly lost touch with most. I did manage to contact a few years ago on Friends Reunited, but as Facebook is now so dominant and I am not on it, I have again lost contact. Would I attend a reunion now? Not sure.

Comment

I left school just a few months later in June 1994, when all my exams were out the way.

It felt like a weight of my shoulders after 12 years of schooling.

Unfortunately I lost touch with a lot of people & even when Friends Reunited came along hardly anyone got in touch with me, as it was probably too soon.

If my school year had a reunion I would go, when my old school had an open day hardly anyone from my year was there.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I MUST HAVE LEFT AROUND 91 OR 92 CANT BE SURE BUT ONE THING IM SURE OF IS THE CLASSROOM I WAS IN AND WHICH SET OF DOORS I WENT THRU TO LEAVE FOR THE FINAL TIME.

BUT AS TIME HAS GONE ON I FORGIVE THOSE PEOPLE WHO WHERE BULLIES QUITE OFTEN BULLIES BULLY BECAUSE THEY GET BULLIED AT HOME.

BUT THE SAY I LEFT WAS A HAPPY DAY FOR ME.

A PICTURE OF IT BELOW..

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
        Today (Friday 15th March 2019) marks 25 years to the day since I walked out for school for good and hung up my school uniform for the last time. Yes - it was around 3.10 pm on Tuesday 15th March 1994 when it happened. No, I wasn't expelled or anything like that, I just couldn't stomach any more "routine" of facing people I would have wanted to avoid such the odd bully and disagreeable teacher. I was a regular at my main library so I still got an education in that respect afterwards, before the training programmes started later on that year. I bet that this was a bit like what VE Day was like when the Second World War ended in May 1945.

I was to have stayed on until May of that year, but I had enough of the place, after the bullying and everything else that had happened - in fact, something did happen in February of that year and that was the final straw as far as I was concerned. I was just glad to get out of the place. It was also poetic justice that the council had closed the school down a year later as well because by then there were only a few pupils left - they probably done a bunk a bit like myself!

I almost feel like celebrating as it felt like a breakthrough, but it was just another day for everyone else. Never mind Brexit, but it leaving school felt like some form of independence which would get me ready in time for adulthood in two years' time. I do try and sever links from school days, although I am still in touch with a teacher and a girl from my form who sent me birthday and Christmas cards last year. I have mellowed a little bit since, I hope so.

Do people mark or at least acknowledge anniversaries of when they left school? I feel that the further away we go from those days, there is just a little bit more reason to acknowledge it. Just think of it as being water under the bridge, and not about the bad things that happened at the time.
        Attached Files
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          I MUST HAVE LEFT AROUND 91 OR 92 CANT BE SURE BUT ONE THING IM SURE OF IS THE CLASSROOM I WAS IN AND WHICH SET OF DOORS I WENT THRU TO LEAVE FOR THE FINAL TIME.

BUT AS TIME HAS GONE ON I FORGIVE THOSE PEOPLE WHO WHERE BULLIES QUITE OFTEN BULLIES BULLY BECAUSE THEY GET BULLIED AT HOME.

BUT THE SAY I LEFT WAS A HAPPY DAY FOR ME.

A PICTURE OF IT BELOW..

Same here Darren - I forgive the bullies myself who bullied me. It was 1993 I left but I went back a bit for a few months in 6th Form so was late 93 - nearly 94, but 6th Form was'nt the same as all my mates had left (or nearly all0

I love this picture of your old School mate - what an epic looking piece of 1960s/70s design, I'd loved to of gone there ... I mean yeah I agree a lot of 60s/70s stuff deserves knocking down, but just seeing this pic of your old School, buildings like that deserve Preservation Orders I think mate!

80sChav

Comment

I left school in 1983. I was one of very few kids who actually got qualifications. Then went on to do A levels.
            Sadly, never kept in touch with anyone. Then in 2003 I heard about a possible reunion through Friends Reunited.
            I attended the event. It was interesting to see some of the former students and teachers.

Comment

Great to hear your responses!

Reading Richard's comment about reunions, I know that my old Infant School will be marking 50 years next year (they marked 25 years in 1995 with a reunion which I went to), so I am keeping my eyes and ears open in case anything is happening there - I don't read my local paper (where is where I found out about the 1995 reunion), and I don't live locally to the school anymore, but I will Google a bit nearer the time in case that helps. The old schoolfriend that I mentioned on the "Keeping in Touch with Old School Friends" thread that I started last year actually went to that same school, even though we were in different classes at the time.

And it's interesting that Staffs Lad had left school in the same year I was born - I arrived in the world in August of the same year.

I read Jeremy Beadle's autography Watch Out! a few years ago, and he mentioned in his first chapter that he was expelled from his school, and Beadle himself said that it was like being released from prison and that he felt like a free agent! - I know how he must have felt at the time. He didn't do too badly considering his TV career and his practical jokes shows. On the other hand, I wasn't expelled (it would have been poetic justice if I had, although I was too well-behaved for such a sanction to be implied on me).

No, I was just sick to death of the place after being repeatedly bullied, attacked and God knows what, ad infinitum, and I more or less did a "Suzanne Ross" without the staff obstruction (cf Grange Hill - series 7, episode 12), walked out and didn't come back. Mind you, the so-called teachers at the time weren't too bad - I don't blame them for just doing their job, which meant that I was forced to be a mere coil within the bureaucratic system at the time. I would have gone straight to college to do a course on writing or something had I not had too many de ja vu feelings about the system. Yes, the good old Education Reform Act 1988 indeed... And Kenneth Baker (aka Baron Baker of Dorking) indeed...
              Last edited by George 1978; 24-01-2021, 02:49.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I think I left in 1987, I was indifferent to leaving I think. My head always seemed foggy at the time, still does mostly.

Comment

40 years since I left (to go to Uni)...
                  Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

It's 45 years since I left the hell-hole that was Wallingford Grammar.

The best day of my life. June 1974.

Comment

It was 30 years for me on 26th May, half day at school in the morning with a leavers assembly and then off to the pub across the road for a couple and then our leavers' ball on the night. There was of course A levels to go back and do in June. The school has been knocked down and rebuilt since but on the same site.

Hard to believe it was 30 years ago but it does feel like a long time now.
                      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

The day i left i can still remember hardly anyone showed up as you would expect can remember what part of the school i left through even the very door i went through..

i must say leaving school was the best day of my school life.

I left in 1992 OR WAS IT 93.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                          The day i left i can still remember hardly anyone showed up as you would expect can remember what part of the school i left through even the very door i went through..

i must say leaving school was the best day of my school life.

I left in 1992 OR WAS IT 93.

This confirms we must be lost twins Darren pal, as I can not even recall my last do (par exam times) and I still can't recall through that neither ever!!

Though of course I went onto do 6th Form - for half a year, so like your great Man U Boss Fergie - I had two times when I said I was leaving lol

In saying this though I miss school and so wish I had the chances to be more "daring" and experience it's culture more and hang out with the tough guy's etc - and they are the few things I would change mate!

80sChav

Ps mate check your In-box btw mate!

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                            I think I left in 1987, I was indifferent to leaving I think. My head always seemed foggy at the time, still does mostly.

I was only in Year 6 (in Today's currency, or last year in Primary) then Mulletino mate. - so that makes about 5 years between our ages, but either way it's still cool recalling such memories - like I had a mate who's brother was in the 5th Year when we was in the first and an ex-next door Neightbour there too in the 5th who I re-made contact with in about 2005 (before she became an ex-next door neighbour mind) and we both still knew each other like yesterday though we'd only met an handfull of times before)!!

I will send you that PM tonight mate I kept promising, sorry - just as had family issues and every mormning I have checked in .... I note you was on on an vening/night (in UK time) mate

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by Pussywillow View Post
                              It's 45 years since I left the hell-hole that was Wallingford Grammar.

The best day of my life. June 1974.
                              And you know what ? Nobody even noticed I was gone. Indeed there is a photograph of boys in Didcot House from 1973, which was at one time, hanging around on the 'net. Can't find it now, but anyway, everyone was named in the caption below, except me. I was a ?.

Comment

Working...
                              X