Breakfast Television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakfast Television

I'm old enough to remember the start of breakfast television in the UK. What was on before it? Did they show other programmes or did the telly just not start until later?

Anyway I can just remember when TVAM first started. Before it came on there was a programme shown about recovering the Mary Rose from the sea, which was happening at the time.

At the weekend there were breakfast TV programmes for kids. They were introduced by a cartoon of coloured beans walking up to and jumping into a barrel? One programme was hosted by Dick King Smith and his dog. These are all hazy memories, they may be a bit inaccurate.
    1976 Vintage

Re: Breakfast Television

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
    I'm old enough to remember the start of breakfast television in the UK. What was on before it? Did they show other programmes or did the telly just not start until later?
    You could be entertained by the Open University early on a morning, other than that yes television started later. There's old copies of radio and tv times on here, have a look for them and you can see what would have kept you entertained and when.

Breakfast Time was the first breakfast show on British TV, hosted by Frank Bough and Selena Scott if I remember correctly.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
      ...Breakfast Time was the first breakfast show on British TV, hosted by Frank Bough and Selena Scott if I remember correctly.
      I recall that first broadcast with Frank in his knitted jumper. He introduced the programme in a kind of 'hey, look at this!' kind of way and I remember thinking, 'this is cool' - and liking the theme music.

Comment

Old copies of Radio Times and TV Times on here, you say, Herr Grunwald? Where? Please direct me.
        The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

A lot more were on the forum at one time but sadly the user moved or deleted the images

https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...ht=radio+times
          Heather

Comment

Im guessing before breakfast tv there was either the test card or pages of ceefax? although ceefax may be a tad early 80s...

Comment

On ITV, morning TV used to start when the schools programmes began around 9.30 (Picture Box was in that slot a lot) usually prefaced with a long regional ident and maybe some transmitter information. The BBC also, of course, had programmes for schools and colleges but I seem to remember stuff like the Welsh Pobol Y Cwm and Asian community programmes in the morning, too.

Comment

i seem to remember the test tone and blank/ white noise screen, selected pages from ceefax and teletext, the open university and programmes for schools.
                When breakfast time started, i remember being pleased that frank bough was presenting, he had one of those soothing voices that didnt get on your nerves first thing in the morning.

Who'd have thunk it that frank of the arran knitwear led a secret life of cocaine fuelled spanking from expensive professional ladies.
                What a hero,

Comment

im glad i saw this thread does anyone remember mad lizzie on breakfast tv

every so often she would do a work out to a party song (i remember agadoo mostly). She would teach a few of the dance steps each day then on the final day put all the moves together. it stood me in fine fettle for the party tunes at school discos lol
                  MOLE MOLE GO BACK TO YOUR HOLE - GRUNDA GRUNDA

Comment

Yes I remember Mad Lizzie. She was a bit too much for me of a morning. I think she was TVAM and The Green Goddess, Diana Moran did BBC Breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                      Yes I remember Mad Lizzie. She was a bit too much for me of a morning. I think she was TVAM and The Green Goddess, Diana Moran did BBC Breakfast.
                      your correct on both mate.
                      remember watching both in the early morning.
                      remember mr motivator.
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Personally I preferred Mad Lizzie to The Green Goddess. I even had one of her exercise videos because I loved her style!

sigpic
                        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I just remember watching Timmy Mallot and Mr Motivator! lol I have his dvd now, great work outs! lol

Comment

I remember TVam starting with Ann Diamond and Nick something. Gordon Honeycomb used to read the news, they used to tease him for saying 'Hello, good morning' in the same tone, day after day. Remember Lloyd Grossman had a slot once a week where he'd go through the keyhole? Wasn't Hilary Jones, the resident doctor or was it Mark Porter?

Comment

I remember they used to have a doctor with glasses and dark hair in the early days of TVam then he went on holiday and Hilary Jones came shmoozing in to cover for him and that was it! Poor Mr glasses was never seen again. I think Mark Porter came in after Hilary (or was he on the other side?) anyway he was more dishy than Hilary. Can't believe Hilary is STILL going with the new Daybreak. High time he was put out to pasture!
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                              X