Programmes from the past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Programmes from the past

I keep scanning the channels hoping to find stuff i used to watch but didnt care for but now am hankering over. I loved watching 321 on challenge, i purposly used to watch them at 7-9 on a saturday to get the nostalgic feeling all over again...sad huh.
    Programmes im hoping will be reshown as they are on itv4 or wherever include - Juliet Bravo , Widows, Sapphire and Steel and Armchair Thrillers, hart to hart , charlies angels.

Surely to repeat these old programmes doesnt cost much, repeat fees maybe but the amount saved by not making another abysmal downton abbeyesque thing would compensate this..

Comment

must be a honest i never saw sapphire and steel, charllies angels but did these others.
      Would love to see them again.

would love to see the gentle touch and cats eyes on say itv 4.

Originally posted by RetroAEROSMITH View Post
      I keep scanning the channels hoping to find stuff i used to watch but didnt care for but now am hankering over. I loved watching 321 on challenge, i purposly used to watch them at 7-9 on a saturday to get the nostalgic feeling all over again...sad huh.
      Programmes im hoping will be reshown as they are on itv4 or wherever include - Juliet Bravo , Widows, Sapphire and Steel and Armchair Thrillers, hart to hart , charlies angels.

Surely to repeat these old programmes doesnt cost much, repeat fees maybe but the amount saved by not making another abysmal downton abbeyesque thing would compensate this..
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I've been watching Bergerac on Yesterday when I get the chance, and also watched Colditz which was on until recently.

Comment

good show bergerac.
          i watched it when it was originallly on.
          never saw colditz.

Originally posted by themilkman View Post
          I've been watching Bergerac on Yesterday when I get the chance, and also watched Colditz which was on until recently.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
            good show bergerac.
            i watched it when it was originallly on.
            never saw colditz.
            I enjoy Bergerac too nice scenery in Jersey the view at Charlie Hungerford,s garden is immense

Comment

I never watch old stuff on ITV3, ITV4 or Challenge as I've too many other things to do anyway. Still I would like Challenge TV to repeat Treasure Hunt. Not the Channel 4 show of the 1980s with Anneka Rice and Kenneth Kendall, but a lesser-known late 70s game show shown on Westward TV (I think it was only shown in that region, never across the rest of the ITV network).
              I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

funny enough when you mentioned treasure hunt i thought of the one with ken kendall and anneka rice.
                annabel croft did it as well replacing miss rice.

is the one your talking about mate the same as the one above.

personally id love to see challenge anneka a bbc 1 show be shown on challenge etc.
                great theme tune as well.

Originally posted by Star Attraction View Post
                I never watch old stuff on ITV3, ITV4 or Challenge as I've too many other things to do anyway. Still I would like Challenge TV to repeat Treasure Hunt. Not the Channel 4 show of the 1980s with Anneka Rice and Kenneth Kendall, but a lesser-known late 70s game show shown on Westward TV (I think it was only shown in that region, never across the rest of the ITV network).

Comment

The Treasure Hunt I'm referring to is not the one that was shown on Channel 4 in the 1980s with Anneka Rice. It's a different programme altogether, and (almost certainly) somewhat lesser-known; in fact it's highly unlikely you ever heard of it if you lived outside the Westward TV region (south west England). The Treasure Hunt I'm referring to was produced by Westward TV in the 1970s; to the best of my knowledge it was only shown in the Westward TV region, and no other part of the ITV network. I've found an article about it here http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Treasure_Hunt_(1) on UK Gameshows; according to that site the programme was presented by David Rodgers.
                  I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

just heard that knightmare is coming on challenge this Friday at half ten at night. ive wanted this to be shown for so long.
                    Last edited by darren; 05-05-2013, 23:35.

Comment

On challenge 2 days ago was an episode of Take your pick hosted by Des O'Connor I remember watching this but when was it on the box originally was it around 1979 or 1980?

Comment

some info for ya mate.
                        Take Your Pick! was a United Kingdom game show originally broadcast by radio luxembourg in the early 1950s. The show transferred to television in 1955 with the launch of ITV, where it continued until 1968.

As it was the first game show broadcast on commercial television in the UK (and the bbc did not at that point offer monetary prizes on its game shows), it was also by default the first British game show to offer cash prizes.

The programme was later revived from 24 February 1992 to 28 August 1998.

The first television version was produced by associated diffusion (later rediffussion london), while the revival was made by THamestelevision (whose arrival as the new london weekday ITV company had led to the original show's demise).
                        If they got through the "Yes-No Interlude" (in which they had to answer a series of questions without using the words "yes" or "no" or be gongedoff the stage), contestants would answer questions to win modest monetary prizes and at the climax of the show had to decide whether to "take the money" or "open the box".

The box could contain good prizes (for the time), such as a holiday or a washing machine, but could also contain booby prizes such as a mousetrap or a bag of sweets.

The first version was hosted by michael miles (after its demise, Miles hosted a similar show for southern television called Wheel of Fortune, not to be confused with the later wheel of fortune of the same title). bob danvers walker, the voice of pathe News from 1940 until its demise in 1970, was the show's announcer, and Alec Dane was on hand to bang the gong. At the electronic organ was Harold Smart.
                        des o connor became the host for the second version in the 1990s. His future wife Jodie Wilson was one of the hostesses; she would later be replaced by neighbours twins gayle and gillianblakley.
                        It was revived again for one night only as part of ant and decs gameshow marathon in 2005, a series of the Geordie duo presenting classic ITV gameshows as part of the channel's 50th anniversary in their own style.
                        A similar formula was used for Pot of Gold, another game show, hosted by O'Connor.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                        On challenge 2 days ago was an episode of Take your pick hosted by Des O'Connor I remember watching this but when was it on the box originally was it around 1979 or 1980?

Comment

All my TV viewing these days is from the past, on DVD, VHS, VCR format or Betamax. The only thing i watch on main TV is the BBC news channel or the odd thing on BBC4. Oh and Challenge for the old game shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Maxi View Post
                            It's great that these series are shown on freeview, but some of them - 'The Sweeney' in particular, do seem to get edited down with a hacksaw. Owning the boxsets, you tend to notice what gets left out of the edited freeview versions.
                            Two other problems:

1. For anyone coming to these old shows afresh and wanting to watch a series through in sequence, it's not always going to be easy, because they're often showing episodes out of the original order, even randomly jumping back and forth between series in some cases, or sometimes there are episodes on different days running from different series, etc.

2. It's great that they're still showing the old stuff, but one or two of the stations just keep repeating the same thing over, and over, and over again. The Saint comes to mind immediately: I must have seen the listings for certain episodes a dozen times in the last year, and they're only showing episodes from the same two or three series over and over, while some of the older series probably haven't seen the light of day on any broadcast network for years.

Comment

I love the seeing the prizes on Bullseye - "Iiiiin One.... its a state-of-the-art, video cassette recorder..."

I am really enjoying Minder, too. It has that 80's 'bloke-down-the-boozer' kind of style and a humour you just dont see anymore. I have a feeling a lot is cut out though.

Would love to see Les Dawson blankety blank repeated. And on a different note, I wish they would show LA law from the start on a freeview channel.

Comment

the same thing happens with dempsey and makepeace on itv 4.
                                think its edited when it was on itv 4.

i wonder was it unedited when it was originally shown back in the mid to late eighties.
                                dont think its unedited even on dvd.

its annoying all right if the sweeney for example is not shown in order especially if there is a two part story.

Originally posted by PC66 View Post
                                Two other problems:

1. For anyone coming to these old shows afresh and wanting to watch a series through in sequence, it's not always going to be easy, because they're often showing episodes out of the original order, even randomly jumping back and forth between series in some cases, or sometimes there are episodes on different days running from different series, etc.

2. It's great that they're still showing the old stuff, but one or two of the stations just keep repeating the same thing over, and over, and over again. The Saint comes to mind immediately: I must have seen the listings for certain episodes a dozen times in the last year, and they're only showing episodes from the same two or three series over and over, while some of the older series probably haven't seen the light of day on any broadcast network for years.

Comment

Working...
                                X