• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spin off shows that worked .... or didn't

Facts of life i didnt think that good.

Thnx for the info rich.

Originally posted by richard1978 View Post
    sometimes some spin-offs started not long after the original show, the facts of life was only a year or 2 behind different strokes.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
      Facts of life i didnt think that good.

Thnx for the info rich.
      Facts of Life was created as a vehicle for Charlotte Rae's character Miss Edna Garrett, who was the original housekeeper in Different Strokes.

I've not really seen either, but The Facts Of Life is often referenced in Family Guy, & had a few pre-fame appearances by future stars, a young George Clooney was the someone's boyfriend in some episodes.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

What? No-one mentioned Xena yet?

A spin off from Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and 10 X more entertaining!

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
          What? No-one mentioned Xena yet?

A spin off from Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and 10 X more entertaining!
          Channel 5 bought the rights in their early days, & bought Hercules afterwards.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by agfagaevart View Post
            Ones that worked:
            Robin's Nest (Man About The House)
            Going Straight (Porrige)
            Tucker's Luck (Grange Hill)

Not forgetting the excellent "George & Mildred" which was probably more successful than its originator "Man about the house"

Comment

Absolutely Fabulous is a spin off from the French and Saunders show and that was about as successful as it gets (though I was never really that much of a fan)
              Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

George and mildred what a wonderful show as was man about the house.
                Very unusual well to me the spin off is better.

Quite honestly both were superb.
                Cant pick which is better.

Originally posted by scotchmist View Post
                not forgetting the excellent "george & mildred" which was probably more successful than its originator "man about the house"

Comment

I remember the episode of Happy Days when Mork met Fonzie - very vaguely mind you!

Anyone remember the Brookside mini series spin off (or soap "bubble" as they pitched it) called Damon and Debbie, about Damon Grant running away with his girlfriend Debbie to start a new life together away from parental disapproval? She was diabetic, they briefly lived on a barge and he was stabbed to death at the end. Shame, I loved Damon's character.

Comment

And of course there was In Sickness And In Health, a spin off from Til Death Us Do Part.

Comment

Originally posted by mazzer View Post
                      I remember the episode of Happy Days when Mork met Fonzie - very vaguely mind you!

Anyone remember the Brookside mini series spin off (or soap "bubble" as they pitched it) called Damon and Debbie, about Damon Grant running away with his girlfriend Debbie to start a new life together away from parental disapproval? She was diabetic, they briefly lived on a barge and he was stabbed to death at the end. Shame, I loved Damon's character.
                      Yes I remember I think they ran off to York

Comment

^London wasn't it? Only to find the streets weren't paved with gold like all us northerners dream and that famous people weren't around every corner...though they did have a cameo from Morrissey the minute they got off the train!
                        ​https://www.change.org/p/the-bbc-repeat-your-treasure-trove-of-single-drama-such-as-play-for-today-and-screen-one-on-bbc4-now

Comment

I've a feeling it was York. Don't recall Mozzer though, but can quite believe it. I do remember an episode of Brookie when Tracey Corkhill met Morrissey - she was waiting for some kind of interview and he was there too. She said "I know who you are" to which he replied "I know who I am too" (scintillating dialogue!).

Comment

I've a feeling it was York. Don't recall Mozzer though, but can quite believe it. I do remember an episode of Brookie when Tracey Corkhill met Morrissey - she was waiting for some kind of interview and he was there too. She said "I know who you are" to which he replied "I know who I am too" (scintillating dialogue!).
                            You're right. Just checked Wiki and it was indeed York. I'm misremembering it as another Brookie spin off; Brookside South which did indeed feature Mozza https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMbuMGZxA_8
                            ​https://www.change.org/p/the-bbc-repeat-your-treasure-trove-of-single-drama-such-as-play-for-today-and-screen-one-on-bbc4-now

Comment

Angel, a spin off from Buffy the vampire slayer was very successful and also crossed over a few times
                              Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

Oh yes i thats right forgot about these shows both very good indEed.
                                In a way i thought one was a spin off from the other just by the name of both shows.

and of course there was in sickness and in health, a spin off from til death us do part.

Comment

Working...
                                X