Old Cinemas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old Cinemas

Pearl & Dean were the main advertiser at the cinema; the maker or releasing agent of most of the films

Who remembers the subliminal advertising at the cinema? (now banned)

There was one advertiser that did this: The maker of Kira orange drink carton. A Kira orange carton would shoot across the screen during the film . Your subconscious picked it up so when you went to the cinema kiosk in the interval you would want a carton of Kira orange drink
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I remember the days when smoking was allowed. I have a vague memory of the cinema I most frequently attended trying to segregate smokers and non-smokers but I don't think it was very successful.

There was the slight crackle on the soundtrack, particularly at the beginning of reels. Actually, I get a bit nostalgic for it when I listen to the pristine sound we get today.

The weekday matinee when attendance would be sparse. I've been many times when there were just a handful in the audience and once when it was just me alone.

Comment

Comment

Cheaper than Odeon; Odeon is about £7 odd whereas the Regent centre is £5.50 and concessions £5
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

The Randwick Ritz was my fave old picture theatre growing up in Sydney. It was built in 1937 and is still showing flicks.

Comment

I remember those Pearl & Dean commercials in Sydney cinemas.

Comment

What did you eat at the flicks? Living in Sydney I recall being able to buy such delicasies as licorice flavored Choo Choo bars, the popular jaffas, chock coated Fantales with a film star bio on each wrapper. There was a hard stick lolly that you sucked to a point with which you then stuck the girls. The silence would be shattered by a sudden shriek from an unsuspecting female. The oddest sweet item was a sherbet circle which you sucked while spinning it on a piece of string. What did you eat in English cinemas back then?

Comment

Originally posted by spookiemoviemania View Post
                  What did you eat at the flicks? Living in Sydney I recall being able to buy such delicasies as licorice flavored Choo Choo bars, the popular jaffas, chock coated Fantales with a film star bio on each wrapper. There was a hard stick lolly that you sucked to a point with which you then stuck the girls. The silence would be shattered by a sudden shriek from an unsuspecting female. The oddest sweet item was a sherbet circle which you sucked while spinning it on a piece of string. What did you eat in English cinemas back then?
                  Poppets in the box, and these...

Never had hot food in the flicks - expensive.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Most of the sweets/chocolate in the cinemas were the same as those you could buy in shops, only usually more expensive. I don't recall hot food in the cinemas I attended in the 70s and 80s. Small round tubs of ice-cream were popular and you got a tiny plastic spoon as well. Ice lollies also sold well in my experience. I have shared many a vanilla tub or orange ice lolly with a girlfriend. Poppets have been mentioned already and were always prominently displayed at my local cinema for some reason. Cadbury's produced small packets of their biscuits such as chocolate fingers--maybe 4 in a packet--and you could buy those. Also, those Ritz savoury cheese sandwich biscuits--2 in a packet I think--were available. Kia-Ora orange squash in small rectangular containers with a straw you pushed through the middle. Cheaper were the small round plastic containers with the sellophane top that you pushed a straw through. Again, I shared many a drink with a girlfriend--always got 2 straws though During intermission, a lady carrying a tray would stand by the screen and patrons would be able to buy things from her...mostly ice lollies, tubs, chocolate bars and cigarettes were her stock.

Comment

During intermission, a lady carrying a tray would stand by the screen and patrons would be able to buy things from her...mostly ice lollies, tubs, chocolate bars and cigarettes were her stock. We had the same. A smatly dressed girl in a short skirt and black tights and a fancy cap. Sold mostly the cold stuff.. ice blocks, choc coated ice creams were my fav. Never cigarettes as smoking has never been allowed in Aussie cinemas to my knowledge. Gotta say I got a surprise seeing people smoking in a London cinema when I was there in 1980.

Comment

Yes, it was usually the youngest and most attractive girl who got the job of holding that tray here as well. On a few occasions during afternoon matinees when the cinema was very sparsely attended--me on my own once--at intermission time the girl wouldn't bother standing by the screen but just asked if anyone wanted anything. The chocolate-covered ice-creams you mentioned--choc ices here--were popular as well. I can't remember when smoking was banned in UK cinemas but it was part of attending the cinema in the 70s and 80s to watch the film through a haze of smoke.

Comment

You were the only customer on that one occasion. Did the attractive girl give you a discount? Management should have let you see the movie for nothing. Remember the name of the film by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                            ...I don't recall hot food in the cinemas I attended in the 70s and 80s.
                            IIRC, my local cinema sold hot popcorn and hotdogs in the foyer...

Comment

Originally posted by agfagaevart View Post
                              IIRC, my local cinema sold hot popcorn and hotdogs in the foyer...
                              Just the thing on a cold day by the sounds of things.

Comment

Originally posted by spookiemoviemania View Post
                                You were the only customer on that one occasion. Did the attractive girl give you a discount? Management should have let you see the movie for nothing. Remember the name of the film by any chance?

Sadly, I didn't get a discount. She just came up and asked me if I wanted anything. I was sitting towards the front and was a bit surprised when I turned round and saw the cinema was empty apart from me. I did actually buy something from her on that occasion. The film? It was actually a double-bill of either Friday the 13th and Airplane, or Midnight Express and Scum, I can't quite remember which. It was a weekday matinee and I was on the dole, so you got in for half-price. This would have been 1981, the double-bill being second-run films. I think I paid around 70p for admission, possibly a bit less.

Comment

Working...
                                X