Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Good Old Days

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
    I would love to see Morecambe & Wise in that particular episode but I'm not sure it even exists anymore because unfortunately, the BBC didn't really start to archive their shows until the late '60s. Among the lost shows are "Running Wild", M&W's first TV show from 1954. I first learned about "The Good Old Days" from a sketch on "The Morecambe & Wise Show" where they made reference to it. In it Ernie is trying to replace Eric with a younger partner and suggests that perhaps Eric should try to get on at "The Good Old Days."
    The Morecambe and Wise edition does exist (B&W). BBC4 Screened it within the last year.

Comment

An interesting show, would be a fun DVD set with some good possibilities for extra features, but I think they figure nobody buys DVDs anymore.
      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

There was a wonderful atmosphere about The Good Old Days with performers and audience in Edwardian costume. I can recall watching it back in the mid 70s, particularly an episode with Tessie o' Shea, a big star then but probably forgotten now.

Comment

Arthur atkinson and Chester draws.....Fast show
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ji4...i48tBHYzw&t=73
          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Wow.... never knew that theatre in Leeds was built in 1865..... thats way back.....!

Comment

The Nottingham Theatre Royal also opened in around 1865, and in fact, on the front pages of The Times in the early 19th century, they mention London theatres with plays and that happening there. I suppose with TV yet to be invented, it was the closest one had to proper entertainment back then!
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by themilkman View Post
                They should bring this show back!.........there's so much rubbish on tv now and a lot of people look to bbc4 for decent entertainment, particularly on a Friday night when they show really good music documentaries etc.
                Agreed - proper inoffensive light entertainment for all the family. The problem is that we left it all behind in the 20th century.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                  There was a wonderful atmosphere about The Good Old Days with performers and audience in Edwardian costume. I can recall watching it back in the mid 70s, particularly an episode with Tessie o' Shea, a big star then but probably forgotten now.
                  Fun Fact: Tessie O'Shea was one of the other guests on the famous episode of the Ed Sullivan Show where the Beatles made their first appearance in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                    Agreed - proper inoffensive light entertainment for all the family. The problem is that we left it all behind in the 20th century.
                    But people would probably complain it was too bland.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

yes lets do another series.... Jonny Ross could be the guy with the gavel.. and the long words....
                      Patsy Palmer in Victorian costume singing ... The boy I love is up in the gallery ....
                      Anthea TURNER singing... Champagne Charlie is my name champagne drinking is my game ...

It could be a great showcase for lots of todays celebs ... soap stars etc .... lets do it !

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        But people would probably complain it was too bland.
                        That is exactly how tastes have changed in the past 40 years.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                        X