Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give us a clue.

Give us a clue ran from 1979 to 1992.
    the original host was michal aspel from 79 to 83.
    then michael parkinson from 84 to 92.

there where two teams one captained by lionel blair and the other by una stubbs.
    liza goddard would eventually become womens team captain.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    it was shown on itv.
    and episodes ran for thirty minutes.
    A revived version was attempted by BBC One, which ran from 10 November to 19 December 1997 and commissioned 30 episodes, it was hosted by Tim Clark. Teams captains where Christopher Blake and Julie Peasgood and the show tried to introduce a lateral thinking puzzle which the host could give clues to.
    Give us a Clue
    returned for a special Comic Relief episode on March 5th, 2011 with Sara Cox, Christopher Biggins, Lionel Blair, Una Stubbs, Holly Walsh, Jenni Falconer and David Walliams.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The game was based on charades, a party game where players used mime rather than speaking to demonstrate a name, phrase, book, play, film or TV programme.
    Each player was given roughly two minutes to act out their given subject in front of his/her team, and if the others were unsuccessful in guessing correctly, the opposing team would have a chance to answer for a bonus point.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In its early days, it had a weekday early evening slot, usually around 17:15, when ITV didn't have so many shows and relied on repeats as well. It was also a common feature to remain during the Christmas/New Year schedules.
    In 87, the show moved to an early morning slot, left vacant when ITV Schools relocated to Channel 4.
    Last edited by darren; 17-09-2012, 14:20.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: Give us a clue.

Got to say that the period when Liza Goddard was team captain was
    the best of Give us a Clue and Parky was in charge.

All the hottest actresses and TV celebs turned up ... Susan Penhaligan.... Judy Loe....Anthea Turner
    Faith Brown....Bonny Langford

They tried to revive it with Julie Peasegood as team capt but it did nt last long

Comment

There was a 1960s equivalent show (see the UK Game Shows Page website) called Don't Say a Word, and the main link with Give us a Clue was the fact that Una Stubbs appeared on both of them. The show had Chicken Man aka the Grange Hill theme for the first couple of years - the late actress Anna Quayle has been the only person who has both appeared in Grange Hill and Give us a Clue - she appeared in around 1982.

Lionel Blair used to get some stinkers, especially during the Parkinson-era, giving him 16 word phrases, but Blair, as professional as he was, got it done in under 30 seconds.

And Beryl Reid, Peter Davison and Geoffrey Hayes, in addition to presenting their respective 12.10 pm children's shows on ITV, also appeared on the same edition of GUAC in 1981 - it's on YouTube if you want to see it...
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
        In 87, the show moved to an early morning slot, left vacant when ITV Schools relocated to Channel 4.
        It was in January 1988 when the series had a new theme tune and Liza Goddard replaced Una Stubbs.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
        X