School visitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School visitors

We mostly heard the fire alarm go off rather than get the Fire brigade visiting, although nine times out of ten it would almost be a false alarm. Someone attempted arson on an Art Room at some point - rumour was that it was a former pupil trying to get revenge by trying to burn a table. The local Fire Brigade probably visited school because of that.

During the Years 9 to 11, the odd Police Officer (when he wasn't called to school because of an incident) used to educate the masses at school of crime prevention and staying out of trouble - keeping one's nose clean in other words. It might have been part of a PSE lesson.

At Infant school, I am certain that I had some group of actors performing something - one played a town crier or something, and they remained in character and in costume after the performance ended. A bit of a vague one of course. My Infant school will be marking 50 years in 2020 so if they have a reunion, I might attend and mention that.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Par the Field trip from abroad (mainland EWurope- FRance or Spain probably) taht I mentioned in another and some evil kid nicked an Address off a an Exchange Student I had swapped with - we had no visitors at all hardly of any iimportance at eitther of my Secondary's (which I find odd in hindsight/on reflection) as one was a terrible sink school asnd the other very good indeed

Par the Exchange kids - the only of other visitor of note we had was a "placement type Drama Teacher) who I think we had in Year 7 Mon Mornings who had originaly lived in Manchester and through school was willing to let us write to her as Drama and English are linked in.

From my memory she was of Oriental origin and any mega fans of Grange Hill would like her if I was (and am to compare her) to the fleetingly short-lived Miss Barrah who was in Series 11 from 1988 9the exact same year as this lady taught us Drama) who was Oriental origin I thought too

80sChav

Comment

When I left school in '83 I recall coming to awards evening to pick up an award. I was given my prize by Neil Kinnock. I think the headmaster referred to him as the next Prime Minister....little did he know.

Comment

I remember some people from an American church came into my school to do a presentation for the assembly.

Part of it was a short play about the importance of believing in God, but was so OTT no-one took it seriously.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
            When I left school in '83 I recall coming to awards evening to pick up an award. I was given my prize by Neil Kinnock. I think the headmaster referred to him as the next Prime Minister....little did he know.
            Was he already Leader of the Opposition at that point? - i.e. was it before or after that year's General Election?
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I don't like football but i do remember Ian Rush visiting our school, he joined us in assembly one morning and a few LFC fans were chosen to ask him questions, my brother was one of them. Growing up in Liverpool, you soon realise football is a big deal, but still i just don't get what all the fuss is about! ☺

Comment

I didn't like Rugby either (the sport, although the town in Warwickshire is a nice place) - it had nothing to do with having masculinity but I wasn't really interested in the sport. Anyway, I am certain that one PE lesson involved Rugby and we got a visit from some professional Rugby person - no one famous as such, although I had a feeling that he was a professional bloke and knew the sport "inside out" if you know what I mean.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                  Was he already Leader of the Opposition at that point? - i.e. was it before or after that year's General Election?
                  Gosh. Too long ago. I think the prize giving was in Oct '83.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
                    Gosh. Too long ago. I think the prize giving was in Oct '83.
                    Kinnock became leader on Sunday 2nd October 1983, so I would say that he was leader by then.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I didn't like Rugby either (the sport, although the town in Warwickshire is a nice place) - it had nothing to do with having masculinity but I wasn't really interested in the sport. Anyway, I am certain that one PE lesson involved Rugby and we got a visit from some professional Rugby person - no one famous as such, although I had a feeling that he was a professional bloke and knew the sport "inside out" if you know what I mean.
                      I don't like rugby, the sport, either! I have met a few ex rugby players in Cheshire, one actually played for England in the 80s, his name is George Nichols, i know his brother through a mutual friend.
                      I don't think we had anymore famous visitors at school, but i do remember one of the older pupils went on to have a small part in Coronation Street, I'll try and find out his name and post it, will be interesting if anyone remembers him. ☺

Comment

With regards to the pupil who had a part in Coronation Street - was he an extra in the show or was he credited at the end of the episode? You may want to look at the Corriepedia website which gives details about actors and the like.

https://coronationstreet.fandom.com/wiki/Corriepedia
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

My daughter was in the same high school form as Fizz from Corrie .. for five years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

With regards to the pupil who had a part in Coronation Street - was he an extra in the show or was he credited at the end of the episode? You may want to look at the Corriepedia website which gives details about actors and the like.

https://coronationstreet.fandom.com/wiki/Corriepedia
                            He had a speaking role so he would've been credited. He played the grandson of an oldish man, he wasn't in it for long, I'll ask my older brother for more info as he was in the same year as him. I'll check out that link too.

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                              My daughter was in the same high school form as Fizz from Corrie .. for five years

I have a claim to fame, my cousin is a well known athlete who took part in the Commonwealth Games when he was 19. ☺

Comment

Originally posted by Nuggy14 View Post
                                I have a claim to fame, my cousin is a well known athlete who took part in the Commonwealth Games when he was 19. [emoji5]
                                Sooooo I’m related to Nigel Mansell ... not close enough to have ever met him though.. great times when he dominated F1 but it was a complete nightmare for me when we tried to hire a taxi !!

Comment

Working...
                                X