I ain't seen that in...yonks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I ain't seen that in...yonks!

Wow! Dial a Disc lol! I vaguely remember that, but no doubt was banned from using it as I would have run up a fortune on the bill.

Soda stream was shockingly bad. I can still remember how horrible the fizzy orange tasted. yuk.

Round here, don't know whether all areas did it, but when the milk bottles changed to the short stubby ones, they started filling them with orange juice too. It was nice juice actually.

Comment

The height of sophistication!
      Quick... Run... Hide... Here comes Dave Stewart, walking up the drive, with that look in his eye!

Comment

Originally posted by glam_racket View Post

The height of sophistication!
        I was talking about this picture recently, there was also one of an African woman tinted green.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post

Yay at last!!! proof, and I promise they did have metal lids you prised off with a bottle opener being sold as from the 70's
          I remember all of these bottles. When I was little, fresh milk came in the middle bottle and UHT milk came in the tall bottle on the left. Where I am from we used to call the UHT milk 'puro' milk.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by RiJoJo View Post
            I was lucky enough not to need them but do you remember the awful NHS glasses kids were given back in the 70's? The boys always had the black rimmed ones and the girls had either the blue or pink rimmed ones. No wonder there was such a stigma attached to wearing specs back then. I remember a friend of mine had to have some glasses and his parents forked out the cash for some gold wire framed ones which were much more flattering. I don't think he got taunted with all the 'four eyes' insults that the poor NHS wearers did. Every other spectacle wearing kid in my school though had to wear the freebie ones.
            Ironically it would appear that they are deemed retro now cos this place has them for sale
            http://www.retrospecs.co.uk/catalogu...=1&s_id=2&pg=2
            It's true, on all my school photos all the kids with glasses have the same horrible NHS frames. On a similar note, you don't see many kids with one of the lenses clouded to fix a lazy these days. Neither do you see many people with one built up shoe. A woman on my estate didn't even have the shoe. She had a metal thing attached to her normal shoe. I suppose there are some great medical procedures in place to fix such things now.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

Pantherpink reminded me of Soda Streams. They're still around. I saw some machines the other day, and they're still frighteningly expensive. Pink also reminded me of the Pink Panther candy bars, which I will now go out to investigate whether they're still made. I can taste that strawberry candy right now. *Drool!*
              "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Comment

Hi Steve - there are three or four threads on the Soda Stream on here ( Just enter soda stream in Search to find 'em) One of the best is a discussion on flavours -

https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...ht=soda+stream

There are also loads of mentions of Pink Panther bars - some pics too - in Defunct Sweets. This time use Search in the thread itself ( top right of each Thread Page above the first post on the page) to easily find all references
                Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
                <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

What i haven't seen for years,are European traditional outfits being worn and european traditional instruments being played.Looking back,they were so lovely to see.

Comment

that was a bottle of steralised.
                    Last edited by Seventies Child; 21-05-2010, 14:24. Reason: Put in wrong section.

Comment

Originally posted by danbakuk View Post

Does any one still get a chip van? not a static one - a proper one that drives around and beeps his horn when hes stopped?

We also used to get a Shop Van - a proper shop in the back of a van, you could buy anything a corner shop would sell and get 10p back on your pop bottles
                      My parents used to run a chip van, I was made to work Tuesdays & Fridays in it when I was about 14.
                      I remember that it was an old thing that you didn't have to wear seatbelts in and my Stepdad would jump out of the driving seat as we were going along so that I could take a turn driving around empty county lanes.
                      I used to griddle a mean cheeseburger and was allowed to eat whatever I wanted.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yep! there are several around us. One is called Mortons mobile fish bar - very popular and I always see the other one when i drive through Stoke Doyle. Both vans smell absolutely delicious but I haven't stopped for eats for months. now you've reminded me I'll have to give them a go again. they were good last time i tried them.

Originally posted by danbakuk View Post

Does any one still get a chip van? not a static one - a proper one that drives around and beeps his horn when hes stopped?

We also used to get a Shop Van - a proper shop in the back of a van, you could buy anything a corner shop would sell and get 10p back on your pop bottles

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                          in the 70's we had a mobile shop/grocers van...had steps at the back & you walked up into it.

There was also the Fish Man, Potato Man, Rag & Bone Man (still around)

but my 2 favs.....

the sweet van (VW Camper Van..side door slid open, and an Aladdin's cave of sweets.....favs being Sherbet Fountain & Spangle (fizzy, NOT the Olde English ones!)

the pop man...sure it was Alpine pop...came in EVERY flavour under the sun
                          We used to have a pop man, as you say every flavour under the sun. Dandelion & Burdock always springs to mind. Ours however was called Corona as opposed to Alpine.

Comment

Happy days,
                            I remember a mobile chip van at my granparents around 1973, coal fired range which made a bizarre smell with the grease frying.

We used to have a mobile grocers van, it was a bit like the big UPS vans you see knocking about. i remember an earthy smell from the sacks of potatoes lined up by the side door.
                            i Used to buy my suncharm space special flavour pop from there,

He used to sell all the flavours of pop in the big glass bottles that Ben Shaws used to make at the time in these lovely wooden crates. I remember having to take the empties back to get the 10p deposit charge back.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
                              My parents used to run a chip van, I was made to work Tuesdays & Fridays in it when I was about 14.
                              I remember that it was an old thing that you didn't have to wear seatbelts in and my Stepdad would jump out of the driving seat as we were going along so that I could take a turn driving around empty county lanes.
                              I used to griddle a mean cheeseburger and was allowed to eat whatever I wanted.
                              I used to spend the summer holidays in Wales,back in the late 70s.They had a chip van,a shop van and a fruit and veg van.Coming from London i'd never seen this before,and when i came home none of my friends believed me lol

Comment

Originally posted by sarcymarky View Post
                                We used to try to save these if we got one

They still around??
                                A colleague got an old 50p in his change the other day. Not seen one of those in yonks! We marvelled at its enormousness and I specifically asked if it was a 'hands' 50p as I used to like getting them but it wasn't
                                1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                                X