Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smoking teachers

Originally posted by Arran View Post
    Has anybody encountered a headmaster who smoked in his office? It was quite commonplace in public schools well into the 1980s and many of them would smoke in front of parents, especially if they smoked cigars because they thought it was classy.
    Oh yes ! My Father ! See my thread in the Misc Memories forum.

Comment

Even though hardly any of my family smoked I used to know a lot of the brands, thanks to the ads in The Observer magazine having lots of ads for them & the machines in pubs, not to mention all the Grand Prix teams sponsored by them.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My mother might be completely wrong here but she always felt that many headmasters of public schools were soft on smoking because Winston Churchill used to smoke cigars.

Most public schools - even in the 1990s - would allow 16 year olds to smoke on their grounds. The term 'legal smoker' was commonplace in public schools amongst Y11 students. In some public schools the headmaster would take 6th form students to the pub on their 18th birthday.

Comment

Yes in my schools you could smell the smoke in their offices.

I often had teachers that smoked in the classroom.
          One i remember had a pipe mr johnston i think his name was.
          Can you imagine what the office where they all sit at dinner break must have been like.

Originally posted by arran View Post
          has anybody encountered a headmaster who smoked in his office? It was quite commonplace in public schools well into the 1980s and many of them would smoke in front of parents, especially if they smoked cigars because they thought it was classy.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by fynger View Post
            Nowt wrong with smoking
            Mmmmmm not strictly true ....

Comment

TBH because my parents smoked in the home throughout my childhood in the 70s I couldn't really smell smoke on people but the Teacher's Room always smelled of smoke, although I do recall "teacher's breath" which was always a mix of ciggies and coffee.

Comment

It seems amazing now, but back in the late 80s, on the last day of term, from what I remember.
                About 30 odd kids were squeezed into the staff room, with all the teachers chain smoking.
                For a special treat, we were allowed to watch a film on the gigantic TV & video setup.
                Surrounded by a thick mist of tar & nicotine we viewed Stallone's First Blood.
                We were about 9 or 10 at the time !
                Highly doubtful that could happen these days.

Comment

My class spied a student teacher having a packet of Silk Cut sitting just inside her open handbag. No doubt that she would have said, upon being questioned, that she had confiscated the article from a Year 11 class. I would have put her in the same ballpark as the science teacher who would used to go to the pub at lunchtimes, next door but two from the aforementioned school.
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Also, it never seemed to be PE teachers that smoked for all the obvious reasons - no, they were promoting health and fitness, and so you would never see them take up the habit.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

If our teachers smoked we were unaware of it
                      sigpic
                      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

The aroma of pipe tobacco is one of my strongest olfactory memories of school. Many of the older masters (especially the English masters) smoked pipes - indeed appeared to be addicted to them.

Comment

I used to think that it was double standards when school rules used to prevent pupils from doing various things, yet the teachers did the same thing in the sanctuary of the staff room, even if they were old enough to do such a thing - "don't do what I wouldn't do" indeed. How many schools actually have teaching staff wearing uniform?

Cf Grange Hill series 9 - staff room smoking, and also the very first episode of Please Sir! - how can they "teach" pupils right and wrong when they flaunt the rules themselves?
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                            I used to think that it was double standards when school rules used to prevent pupils from doing various things, yet the teachers did the same thing in the sanctuary of the staff room, even if they were old enough to do such a thing - "don't do what I wouldn't do" indeed. How many schools actually have teaching staff wearing uniform?

Cf Grange Hill series 9 - staff room smoking, and also the very first episode of Please Sir! - how can they "teach" pupils right and wrong when they flaunt the rules themselves?
                            Rules?...Pah!!
                            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

In the 70s our Woodwork teacher use to smoke a cigar in class (yes, Wood). The technician use to often come in and ask him to 'put that light out!'

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
                                In the 70s our Woodwork teacher use to smoke a cigar in class (yes, Wood). The technician use to often come in and ask him to 'put that light out!'
                                They were probably Woodbines for obvious reasons.
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X