Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When does nostalgia become unhealthy

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
    collecting things can turn into hoarding...........do you hoard?
    i sure do.
    but i only have things that mean something to me.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I used to but in recent years I have been selling off a lot of the stuff that I don't feel is all that important or I do not have any more use for.Most of it can be said to be collectables but very little of it dates from my time.It's just clutter at the moment.It's good to declutter and the money gained is going towards collecting those childrens dramas on dvd that I remember as a kid or badges.I suppose if I had the space I would consider buying up a few vintage 70's games or toys that I remember as like ghost train or haunted house,action man etc.

Comment

well at least you are buying things with that money that mattered to you as a klid.

its still a part of your childhood.
        your swapping one for the other in a sense.
        no harm in getting shot of stuff thts slightly less important and getting other stuff that means more to you.

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
        I used to but in recent years I have been selling off a lot of the stuff that I don't feel is all that important or I do not have any more use for.Most of it can be said to be collectables but very little of it dates from my time.It's just clutter at the moment.It's good to declutter and the money gained is going towards collecting those childrens dramas on dvd that I remember as a kid or badges.I suppose if I had the space I would consider buying up a few vintage 70's games or toys that I remember as like ghost train or haunted house,action man etc.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          i sure do.
          you must have a lot of storage space..................unlike me

Comment

i sure do.
            Likewise. I've been a collector all my life, I love being surrounded by stuff that brings back good memories.

Comment

I agree like you ,I'm exactly the same, early forties and remember my child hood like yesterday!, I have started to collect things from my childhood like topps bubble gum cards that were lost in a move, also I have manged to get all the Radio Times for my birth date and found all the Xmas ones on dvd to view, along with zx spectrum magazines on dvd, TV themes and shows were really good back then and there were better kids programs back then like Why dont you and Play Away compared with todays rubbish.I have managed to amass all the tv themes from 50 60 and 70s, and I love my old baord games we regualry play Alley Cats, treasure of the Pharohos and buccaneer .

Comment

WOW all tv themes from those 3 decades do you mean every theme from every type of programme comedies,cop shows etc.

well im impressed very much.

and why not get things from your childhood i think its such a beautiful thing to do and stirs emotions in us all.

must have been hard getting those radio times mags mate.

board games of the old days far better than those of the last 15 yrs.

just loved being surrounded by things that i loved as a kid it makes feel so good.

for instance im getting all the he man and she ra episodes in the next few days on dvd i be honest when i get the ill shed tears of utter joy.

wanted these for 25 yrs a dream come true.

so how long have you been collecting stuff you had as a kid mate.

Originally posted by cookie3131uk View Post
                I agree like you ,I'm exactly the same, early forties and remember my child hood like yesterday!, I have started to collect things from my childhood like topps bubble gum cards that were lost in a move, also I have manged to get all the Radio Times for my birth date and found all the Xmas ones on dvd to view, along with zx spectrum magazines on dvd, TV themes and shows were really good back then and there were better kids programs back then like Why dont you and Play Away compared with todays rubbish.I have managed to amass all the tv themes from 50 60 and 70s, and I love my old baord games we regualry play Alley Cats, treasure of the Pharohos and buccaneer .

Comment

It becomes unhealthy when you refuse to acknowledge and enjoy anything current and look to the future with a sense of doom! I found living in the past just brought to my house heaps of stuff, toys, books, games, papers that were seriously turning my house into one of those off 'extreme hoarders' programme on DMAX! Emptying our loft and buying the odd bit off ebay, I then found this nostalgia irritated me as my space was dwindling, and my past which had brought me a moment of nostalgia and elation then created a sense of claustrophobia and despondency as the 'stuff' around me didnt feel the same as it did back then. I was not he same person, obviously I was grown up and moved on in two decades. I must say I dont do nostalgia as much as I used to, I'm more into eras that I didnt experienced, e.g. the victorian ages etc.

PS : Anyone who wants a heap of Melody Maker/NME papers from 1990's era let me know lol just pay the postage and they're yours
                  "Man who catch fly with chopsticks accomplish anything"

Comment

Originally posted by bun View Post
                    I then found this nostalgia irritated me as my space was dwindling, and my past which had brought me a moment of nostalgia and elation then created a sense of claustrophobia and despondency as the 'stuff' around me didnt feel the same as it did back then. I was not he same person, obviously I was grown up and moved on in two decades. I must say I dont do nostalgia as much as I used to, I'm more into eras that I didnt experienced, e.g. the victorian ages etc.
                    For me, the downside of too much nostalgia is the total opposite. Instead of a claustrophobic feeling I think there's the danger of becoming agoraphobic because I'm surrounded by so much of the stuff I love that there are some days that it takes a supreme effort for me to get out of the house.

Comment

So do you actually feel like getting rid of some of your things as it makes it hard you getting out of the house.
                      my things have a positive effect on me.

they bring back memories of when i was a kid memories of when life was simpler and better and the things i have are part of what made life better.

but it does not get to the point of finding it hard to go out.

it does not make me feel agrophobic, or claustrophobic.

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                      For me, the downside of too much nostalgia is the total opposite. Instead of a claustrophobic feeling I think there's the danger of becoming agoraphobic because I'm surrounded by so much of the stuff I love that there are some days that it takes a supreme effort for me to get out of the house.

Comment

So do you actually feel like getting rid of some of your things as it makes it hard you getting out of the house.
                        my things have a positive effect on me.

they bring back memories of when i was a kid memories of when life was simpler and better and the things i have are part of what made life better.

but it does not get to the point of finding it hard to go out.

it does not make me feel agrophobic, or claustrophobic.
                        I am in the process of downsizing a fair amount. I have tons of books that I haven't looked at in years of which I'll probably never get around to reading.

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                          Its all about a good balance of the past present and future, being absorbed so much in the past for me was more of an escape from the future, I dread the future as I have no control over it, only the present to some extent which can help shape the future but the past is a place you can go to without fear, its so personal to you its a safe haven to just get lost in your thoughts when you first experienced those happy times and if you are like me you tend to try and find similarities with todays life but get dispondent when it just doesn't compete!
                          Too much nostaligia though takes me so far away from todays thoughts that I end up wasting time and energy in something I cannot re live or re create, it has a part in todays life in the maybe in a historical /asthetic / novelty sense, e.g a picture of Nirvana on my wall, A Pac Man Mug (that can be used!), an ET keyring haha,
                          but to actually think that buying a commodore game off ebay is going to make me feel 10 again is not going to work, I dont get that same feeling, the game just ends up on a pile of stuff gathering dust. Toys are useless too, I just end up giving them to daughter who will get more use out of them, I can see her enjoying them the way I did.
                          So I would also add collecting stuff that is useful and will be used/looked at is better than a dust gatherer bought for the sake of a nostalgic feeling.
                          "Man who catch fly with chopsticks accomplish anything"

Comment

Originally posted by bun View Post
                            Its all about a good balance of the past present and future, being absorbed so much in the past for me was more of an escape from the future, I dread the future as I have no control over it, only the present to some extent which can help shape the future but the past is a place you can go to without fear, its so personal to you its a safe haven to just get lost in your thoughts when you first experienced those happy times and if you are like me you tend to try and find similarities with todays life but get dispondent when it just doesn't compete!
                            Too much nostaligia though takes me so far away from todays thoughts that I end up wasting time and energy in something I cannot re live or re create, it has a part in todays life in the maybe in a historical /asthetic / novelty sense, e.g a picture of Nirvana on my wall, A Pac Man Mug (that can be used!), an ET keyring haha,
                            but to actually think that buying a commodore game off ebay is going to make me feel 10 again is not going to work, I dont get that same feeling, the game just ends up on a pile of stuff gathering dust. Toys are useless too, I just end up giving them to daughter who will get more use out of them, I can see her enjoying them the way I did.
                            So I would also add collecting stuff that is useful and will be used/looked at is better than a dust gatherer bought for the sake of a nostalgic feeling.

I think you make some good points in both of your posts bun

I do think some people live in the past a bit too much because it is a safe haven. I did for a while, used to buy tons of old stuff (toys/mags etc) then realised as you did that my house was becoming a hoarders paradise!

Tv shows and music were better in the past and it's nice to wallow in nostalgia from time to time, but people can become obsessive and a bit cut-off from others which isn't good.

Comment

I've just been back to my home town for the first time in a decade & was shocked to find it still has 3 times as many pubs as where I live now, despite having a fifth of the population. Proper gentleman's boozers - some no bigger than to swing cats in. Fortunately, it seems that the properties are too small or are listed, & the town too depressed to attract developers to knock them down & build some more ugly cramped new development of flats.

I went into pubs where my Dad used to drink on a Sunday lunchtime, & there were many (glug), & I started missing the far less corporate 70s & the homely individuality of a proper local.

I started thinking about moving back (you're never alone with 35 pubs!) - and that's when it got unhealthy!

All humans need roots & hooks that are non changing, something solid & reliable that you can retreat to & will never let you down. But friends move on, people die, companies close & relationships end, so the good things from your past are an enduring haven from an ever changing present which we all start to relate to less & dislike even more.

The trick is not to wallow in a bath of gloom remembering all that has gone, never to be recaptured, but to take a revitalising plunge in the sea of your youth & happier days, & emerge from it with the optimism & wonder you felt back then & bring that forward into your present day life.

Comment

Like many I guess, I use nostalgia as a bit of an escape from these grown up worries I've been given. The only way it would be a unhealthy would be if it detracted from todays reponsibilities. Sums it up really, nostalgia for me is about not having worries and using it to escape for a little while, todays worries.

Comment

Working...
                                X