singing books at school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: singing books at school

There are a couple that stick in my mind and they are 'Old John Bradlum' 'Donkey Riding' used to sign my head off to both. Isang them to my kid and grandchildren too!!!!

Comment

I think we did some of the BBC radio ones. I remember one about sailors and pirates. I can remember only a few lines from one of the songs.. "Many merchant ships he sailed and many ships he sank, and those who met the Nancy Free were made to walk the plank, yo ho ho yo ho ho were made to walk the plank..."

Then there was another song about a heron and apples "boom boom boom boom apples I've hit my neck on". I'd like to know what song that was as it's always the daft lines that stick in your mind!

Most of our songs came out of the 'come and praise' book but we occasionally used one I think was called 'Harlequin'. The cover was colourful and had a stained glass type pattern.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Moonvisage - I'll look through the ones I have for the Blackbird song you've listed. I could list the titles of all then song if you like, they might jog your memory :-)

Trickyvee - I'll have a look for yours too. I don't know the Harlequin book, I'm sure I would have remembered the cover. Regarding Come and Praise, was it a plain green book about half the size of an A5 piece of paper and probably around about half to three quarters of an inch thick? If it was we had that book too but mainly used it for morning assembly.

May be a few days before I'm back up in the loft again as I'm recovering from surgery at the min. How foolish of me to tidy them away back to the loft before I went into hospital!!!

Comment

Come and Praise had a blue cover with freaky looking children's faces on the front. It's well loved by many and has some cracking songs in it.

http://www.facebook.com/search/?flt=...759&ref=search
          1976 Vintage

Comment

I think i may have found the school sung version of: If I Were A Blackbird on youtube.

The version sung at school,was more gentle,folky and idillic than this version.

Comment

Originally posted by culnara View Post
              does anyone remember those colourful singing books you got in Primary class and everyone had to sing along including the teacher??

Old Joe Clark, he had a house; fifteen stories high
              Every story in that house was filled with chicken pie!
              I remember that song being in a Music Time book circa 1981/82.
              I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

I found a version of the song: If i Were a Blackbird, on youtube the other day,sung by the Askew Sisters.They sing it so similar to the way our primary school music teacher taught us to sing it.

Comment

My old primary school once had a clearout of a load of these books dating back to the early 1970s (and this was around 1983), the last year I was there. I remember they tried to flog them to the parents.

I remember "Singing Together" and "Time & Tune" on BBC Radio 4 "VHF" (as it was known back then). "Time & Tune" was hosted by Douglas Coombes, as I remember. I do not recall the songs we sang (I absolutely HATED those singing classes), except one of them, that went something like "Hey ho, the morning dew, hey ho, the rose & rue, follow me, my bonny lad, for I'll not go with you!"

Sadly, more time was spent in the classroom at junior school trying to wind up the teacher, than singing in an educational and constructive manner.

Comment

I remember a couple of singing radio shows at school with books containing the lyrics. One was a musical version of Beatrix Potter's The Tailor Of Gloucester, which my class did as an Xmas play. We learnt one song per show.

Another was a similar adaptation of Wind In The Willows, I changed school before getting to the end of that.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by DeptfordDraylons View Post
                      I remember "Singing Together" and "Time & Tune" on BBC Radio 4 "VHF" (as it was known back then).
                      Actually back in the late 1970s / early 1980s, it was BBC Radio 4. They said "This is BBC Radio 4 VHF for schools" when announcing schools programmes on Radio 4 VHF/FM as they only broadcast schools programmes on their VHF/FM frequencies; not on their Long Wave frequency (they put something else on Radio 4 long wave at the same time).
                      I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

Hi Moonvisage & Trickyvee, I know some time has passed but just wanted to say I couldn't find any of the songs in the T&T & ST books I have. sorry!

Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to look for us all The Low Country.It is very kind of you and i really appreciate your gesture.Maybe one day,somebody may pass through or stumble across this forum and thread,and have the little music books in question,and tell us all about them.

Comment

We had Time and Tune in the first and second years of junior school (ages 7-9), themes included Songs for Fairs and Markets (including Strawberry Fair) and the Magic Music Shop - about a music shop where at night, after the shop owner had gone home, the instruments would come alive and play by themselves.

I was unaware of Singing Together until I got to secondary school, when we were given it in music lessons. I considered it a poorer version of Time and Tune, having seemingly no theme to hold the songs together, and I reckoned by now I was too old for this sort of thing, privately scorning all the others who sang with enthusiasm.
                            The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

Singing together sounds familier,not sure about time and tune,but I do remember singing along with a radio show.I remember one about the Titanic and one about a train too.I also remember having amusic class at Primary School with the nice Mrs Stevenson(we had 2!)She taught us The Jeelie Piece song and probably others too,we go to play instruments in that class.

tulip
                              Last edited by tulip; 21-09-2010, 23:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                                I remember one series of songbooks with orange covers with a yellow circle.

I can remember others where the words were transcribed onto OHP sheets & only the teacher playing the piano had the actual book.

One such book had a title based on one of the songs, something on the lines of "A Pusky Dusky A Pusky Doo", it was about sardines.

The book was called "Apuski duski, songs for children". that was a weird song that probably works in its original language and loses something in translation.
                                we had to sing it as well,

In middle ocean,
                                Sardines are swimming
                                Apuski duski
                                Apuski do

But we used to sing bananas in pyjamas with great gusto,

Comment

Working...
                                X