falklands war...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: falklands war...

This happened as I was doing A levels. I was absolutely glued to it, rushing home from school to see the news each day.

I was Royal Navy mad, had a scholarship to go to dartmouth, which would have been late 1982.

I'd spent time at sea on HMS Arrow when I was 14 and 15 and she was out there, took a bomb but survived, and I knew some of the crew still.

Most exciting thing in my life still .... Age 14, being "smuggled" aboard HMS Arrow (smuggled in the fact the MOD didn't know) and went with her down to Gibraltar, returning on HMS Newcastle. Was made an honourary member of the wardroom, was given watches, I can't even expres how exciting this was for a Navy mad 14 year old. I did a ship to ship transfer, just a sling under my armpits (imagine them being able to do that now with a kid!), got a taste of tear gas during annual gas mask testing. We were also "attacked" by the French Air Force and German fast patrol boats.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does it count as reliving my childhood if I've never grown up?

Comment

What great memories, Natator. No way that would be allowed today.

I was in my penultimate year of college in spring 1982. I remember so clearly the ships being cheered as they left the UK. Also, they got a great send-off from Gibraltar. I remember being on the top deck of a bus listening to a small portable radio when news of the first Vulcan raid broke.

Comment

Argentina Army Visor Cap
        Lieutenant Colonel, Engineers

From my collection. I think I had posted it before in the What Do You Collect thread but it disappeared when Photobucket got greedy.

Comment

In Argentina and neighbouring countries many people are almost grateful for the Falklands Conflict because it enabled them to throw off the military regime and install a (usually) functioning democracy. This set off a ‘domino effect’ spreading to Uruguay, Brazil, Chile and even Paraguay. However veterans are badly neglected, like Vietnam vets only worse.

Argentina is a very Anglophile country and there’s even a fake Harrod’s in Buenos Aires. In surrounding countries there’s a joke: “What is an Argentine? An Italian who speaks Spanish and thinks he’s an Englishman.”

Comment

I remember reading that only the right wingers in Argentina are that bothered the Falklands these days, & it's a standard thing for governments to dig put any time they are losing popularity.

Only a year before Queen toured Argentina & were filling stadiums along with setting a few chart records like the Beatles did when the toured the USA for the first time.

I've heard that quote before, & I'm guessing it's true, certainly a lot of Italians settled in Argentina in the late 19th century.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember the Welsh guy Simon Weston who survived the Sir Galahad, came out of that situation with serious face disfigurement after the fire on the ship

He has since given talks about his time in the services & written a book too
              sigpic
              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                I remember reading that only the right wingers in Argentina are that bothered the Falklands these days, & it's a standard thing for governments to dig put any time they are losing popularity.

Only a year before Queen toured Argentina & were filling stadiums along with setting a few chart records like the Beatles did when the toured the USA for the first time.

I've heard that quote before, & I'm guessing it's true, certainly a lot of Italians settled in Argentina in the late 19th century.
                Yes, lots of Argentines are of Italian descent, e.g. General Galtieri who ended up as a used car salesman. Governments of right and left have made sabre-rattling noises about the Falklands whenever the economy takes a nose-dive.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                  I remember the Welsh guy Simon Weston who survived the Sir Galahad, came out of that situation with serious face disfigurement after the fire on the ship

He has since given talks about his time in the services & written a book too
                  He’s a very remarkable man - and a good writer too.

Comment

My sentiments exactly Silver Bear
                    sigpic
                    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                      My sentiments exactly Silver Bear
                      Thanks Twocky��

Comment

yvw Silver Bear
                        sigpic

Comment

Comment

Thanks for posting Victor
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                              I’m really looking forward to watching this later.

Comment

Me too
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X