Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School Punishment

Originally posted by Silver Bear View Post
    The way it worked was that you were given an easier time if you played a lot of sport and were in School and House teams because the masters were so keen on sport themselves.
    This is very true and in many other similar aspects like Music even too like beinbg in a Band - though not as it applied at my School lol

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
      This is very true and in many other similar aspects like Music even too like beinbg in a Band - though not as it applied at my School lol
      Music wasn’t given the same prestige as sport and looking back on it this was very unfair.

Comment

Thing with detention is the teacher doesn't want to stay after school hours any more than you do, as like you, he wants to get back to his family and you nowadays back to the computer games/internet
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

It was ironic that during playtime or break time, the teachers told us to get out of the building and into the playground, yet if we didn't do as we were told, we were given a detention which meant that we would have to stay inside during break in order to do it.

It was a bit like those who hated school and didn't want to go there - the irony of being suspended or expelled meant that one could not go to school, and that meant that it almost felt like a reward as a punishment in that respect.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Corporal punishment was a habit by administrators at my boarding school. From age 7 to 16 I and my fellow students were subjected to not only a cane whip on the open palm but on the bare bum too for the most "heinous" of crimes such as wetting the bed which many did as they fretted being away fom home and family.. Other punishments were the dreaded detention when you had to polish the expansive wooden floors of the assembly hall for hours on end until the administrators were happy they could see their faces in them.

Comment

I'm only 30 and I was neve smacked in school but I remember my nursery smacking was still aloud there although not many received it but it was done on few occasions, never in front of the class always in a private room and I remember once I was one of the unlucky ones to get it, I remember the dreaded fear getting marched to the private room where my teacher took the few unlucky ones to be smacked and then getting put over her knee, knowing there was nothing I could do to escape my fate I didn't put up a fight so I just lay there and let her get to work on my bare bum, it must have only lasted about 15 seconds but it was enough to make me cry and I was never naughty in front of my teacher again.

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post

When I went to Senior School it was girls only and we never had this,
                Girls only? That's indiscrimination at the very least; if not kinky on the part of the headmaster/principle

There is a very serious issue; the fact only girls were 'spanked'

Nowadays, if caning was still an option for misbehaving, the headmaster/principle would be on a charge tantamount to rape or other sexual abuse of the girls in his charge

I wonder if he is still alive as well as retired

I know if this was happening in a school I attended, I would have written a serious letter to the LEA
                sigpic
                Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Detention was the main one we got threatened with

I got 1 but never went to and without sounding clevour I think I had good reason - considering many other lads in that class, set me up for it and I got the vast majority (if not 99.9 of the blame) fr it and even my Parents would have agreed with me on not doing it - due top ther matters in-play I think!

Though in hindsight (as poweful word it is amongst other things it could be termed as) I wish I had had more and escaped more - by not doing them - as this was the 80s/90s Culture i think (rightly or wrongly School sure was different then to what my relatives' take on it is these days - then it was work hard but as well be bad as well as the area I grew up in - Inner town-wise sure was testamont to that - like many other Towns and City's)

In a strange twist of fate - just before Xmas/Autumn I bumped into the "said Launguages teacher" who handed out the detention and though obviously we are both grown Adults (and sensible enough not to hold a grudge/or rake over old times) it was apleasing experience and half of me wishes I'd said to her "do you recall giving me that one and only Detention Mrs Smith ** Now if only I could find/bump into her old Coleauge who I think taught Spanish and German ( but though he never gave me a Detentioin he'd scare any kid sensless - even in First Year) and it'd ace to meet him once more I think!

** Changed Teachers Name for annonminity (though I doubt she'd be lurking on here - but it's better to be safe than sorry)

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                    It was ironic that during playtime or break time, the teachers told us to get out of the building and into the playground, yet if we didn't do as we were told, we were given a detention which meant that we would have to stay inside during break in order to do it.

It was a bit like those who hated school and didn't want to go there - the irony of being suspended or expelled meant that one could not go to school, and that meant that it almost felt like a reward as a punishment in that respect.
                    That sounds horrible George mate - we never had this at priomary or Secondary - just for refusing to go out for Play-time. in the main in Primary we had more "Rainy Days" than Secondary but both my Secondary's never cared to that degree if we was outside or not to be honest I recall

I would of hated a School like so with no hestitation and doubt about it

80sChav

Comment

• Re: School Punishment

I am certain that one or two teachers smacked pupils at Junior School (sounds horrible in hindsight), but they wouldn't have got away with it now. I know that teachers were "loco parentis" or whatever it means in Latin for "in lieu of parents", but surely even back in the 1980s when I was at that school, teachers shouldn't have had that authority as parents would.

The thing was, being in detention for not going out almost defeated the object of not wanting to going out anyway. I had a science monitor's job at break arranged by a Biology teacher we had (and I am still in touch with her), and I enjoyed it, I did my job well (a bit like a security guard) and I got awards for it. However, not all teachers went along with it, and there was one who told us to get outside, even though I more or less had permission to be in the room at break.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                        Thing with detention is the teacher doesn't want to stay after school hours any more than you do, as like you, he wants to get back to his family and you nowadays back to the computer games/internet
                        Perhaps Twochy yer, but a lot give them because of Power!

When I was young and naive and studied Public servioces at college (and hoped it would lead to say a Fire-Brigade Job or a copper) I always desired that power of "doing somebody" for being a CM over a "Double Yellow" but I never actually pursued those Careers in the end - but the object was there - just like Teacher's can be conroling and think they are the Law (as rightly or not you can say their position is very similar to the makor Public Services/Forces)

Thankfully though I gave up that Outlook on life - as described above and reralised it was'nt correct to seek Power as so!!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                          I am certain that one or two teachers smacked pupils at Junior School (sounds horrible in hindsight), but they wouldn't have got away with it now. I know that teachers were "loco parentis" or whatever it means in Latin for "in lieu of parents", but surely even back in the 1980s when I was at that school, teachers shouldn't have had that authority as parents would.

The thing was, being in detention for not going out almost defeated the object of not wanting to going out anyway. I had a science monitor's job at break arranged by a Biology teacher we had (and I am still in touch with her), and I enjoyed it, I did my job well (a bit like a security guard) and I got awards for it. However, not all teachers went along with it, and there was one who told us to get outside, even though I more or less had permission to be in the room at break.

I don't know about the smacking to be fair george, but my Primary definitley still had the cain until about 1984 (or at the very latest 1986).

I recall vividly some-one from another Class there (or Year may-be) getting the Cain very late on

80sChav

Comment

There was a rumour that the Headteacher of our Junior School had a cane in his office which he used if anyone was sent to him for doing something they shouldn't be doing - the rumour was that it was the same cane that his predecessors had used when the school had first opened back in the 1920s. Me and two others were sent to his office for some reason and I was almost certain that the rumours were true - however, my experience had proved that it wasn't true. By the time I left I am certain that the "official" assaults had ended.

The headteacher also had an unusual surname which was the same as someone who was famous, and there was another rumour that he was related to that person - not true again. You know what it's like how youngsters like to cook up conspiracy theories and rumours about one thing and another. As I said before, the Edwina Currie / Salmonella in Eggs fracas in the news back in 1988 had started rumours in the playground by kids that eggs could kill you if you ate them.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I got the slipper at school in 1985 aged 11

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                                I got the slipper at school in 1985 aged 11
                                I think that was the classic standard for PE teachers - either that or the plimsoll. An odd one never a pair.

By the way, welcome to the forum, Debbie.
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X