School dinners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: School dinners

I remember having this thing which was round, i think was made from puff pastry with cheese and a tomato cooked on it, i remember it tasting quite nice but dont know what it was, also we used to have a cake/biscuit made from sugar puffs and covered in chocolate - im pretty sure Jamie Oliver would have cried if he saw my school canteen!

Comment

i remember at hot dinners if there was any left you were allowed to go up for seconds, i remember once having seconds and thirds of sticky toffee pudding and custard, god damn i felt like i was gonna explode lol

Comment

At our secondary school (I attended three but this was the third one) we had 18 to a table (8 one side 8 the other and a fifth year one end and a third year the other end) - also each table had a teacher to make sure food was served equally as the third year collected the tray from the counter and the fifth year seved the food.

The culinary delights consisted of thus:

+Semolina (wallpaper paste lol)
        +Tapioca (frog spawn lol)
        +The obligatory spotted dick & custard though we had a naughty name for it lol
        +Readymix like mashed potato otherwise known a Blue Circle mash lol
        +Steak & kidney pie home made cut into portions
        +Fish& Chips on Friday to do with Roman Catholics eating fish on a Friday (Friday because of FRYday? lol)
        +Prunes & Custard
        +Jam Fritter a special treat basically a deep fried jam sandwich

That's some of the yummy food served by the lovely dinner ladies lol
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

There is a new book on amazon for the kindle

http://www.amazon.co.uk/70-SCHOOL-RE...&keywords=70.s

Comment

Semolina (wallpaper paste)

Tapioca (frog spawn)

Spotted dick
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

rhubarb crumble was yuk just seeing the bits of rhubarb I felt like throwing up,love it now

Comment

when they tried to fool you into thinking the parsnips were 'chips'...ARRRRRRRRGH

Comment

Pink custard and something that resembled a sickly galantine mass I am still trying to identify, shudders. The pudding from hell which was so dry you chocked on it before you could swallow it. The frogs spawn that refused to go down, and the endless supply of sliced carrots and slimy mash and lumpy but rather watery gravy substitute.
                  The soggy fake pink burgers that looked like the flying sick critters out of star trek, The healthy option the warm yellowing salad that even the catty killers had given up on.

The only edible thing was the chips, which if we could we would queue up late for to get seconds but this was rather rare because of their popularity.

The safest option was to wander off to the local chip shop where the vinegar was so sharp it took your breath away. School got wise to this in the end and banned us from going there in the end. Packed lunch in the end, My stomach could not take it anymore and is still suffering from it.

Comment

I loved pink custard a lot.

Are school dinners were pretty good at primary school..
                    Chips were pretty good we had a some pretty good cooks dinnerladies etc.

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                    pink custard and something that resembled a sickly galantine mass i am still trying to identify, shudders. The pudding from hell which was so dry you chocked on it before you could swallow it. The frogs spawn that refused to go down, and the endless supply of sliced carrots and slimy mash and lumpy but rather watery gravy substitute.
                    The soggy fake pink burgers that looked like the flying sick critters out of star trek, the healthy option the warm yellowing salad that even the catty killers had given up on.

The only edible thing was the chips, which if we could we would queue up late for to get seconds but this was rather rare because of their popularity.

The safest option was to wander off to the local chip shop where the vinegar was so sharp it took your breath away. School got wise to this in the end and banned us from going there in the end. Packed lunch in the end, my stomach could not take it anymore and is still suffering from it.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Primary school dinners were much better and healthier then secondary. Our secondary school dinners were quite poor and at times inedible. Primary school dinners were mostly boiled veg and some sort of meat. The only things to suffer in primary was the Sheppard's pie and carrots. Thinking about it we had a white thick sauce on the table which never had much flavor but used to burn your mouth out. Quite an odd thing to put onto the dinner tables in primary. It was never popular.
                      I can still smell the air in the primary school hall at dinnertime and hear the chatter of children and see the plastic cups and jugs of water on the tables. I lived close to my primary so in my last couple of years there went home for dinner. Home meals always started with one of those small boxed soups followed by a sarnie then a piece of cake.

Comment

In a way youd expect secondary school dinners to be at least as good as primary school dinners.

But my primary school dinners were better than secondary its one of the reasons why i went to my aunties for dinner when at secondary school.

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                        primary school dinners were much better and healthier then secondary. Our secondary school dinners were quite poor and at times inedible. Primary school dinners were mostly boiled veg and some sort of meat. The only things to suffer in primary was the sheppard's pie and carrots. Thinking about it we had a white thick sauce on the table which never had much flavor but used to burn your mouth out. Quite an odd thing to put onto the dinner tables in primary. It was never popular.
                        I can still smell the air in the primary school hall at dinnertime and hear the chatter of children and see the plastic cups and jugs of water on the tables. I lived close to my primary so in my last couple of years there went home for dinner. Home meals always started with one of those small boxed soups followed by a sarnie then a piece of cake.

Comment

I hated swede and rhubarb at school,I always felt heaving looking at rhubarb crumble,seeing swede with mash yuk.Love them both now though

Comment

Whats swede is it custard.

At primary school i always got fairly big plate full of dinner.

Lots of steamed stuff not much fried food.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                            i hated swede and rhubarb at school,i always felt heaving looking at rhubarb crumble,seeing swede with mash yuk.love them both now though

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                              Whats swede is it custard.

At primary school i always got fairly big plate full of dinner.

Lots of steamed stuff not much fried food.

SWEDE the veg

Comment

When did primary schools start serving salad? My mother cannot recall salad once being served when she was in primary back in the 1970s but it was regularly available at my primary school in the 1990s?

Was there a vegetarian option available or special diets catered for in the 1970s and 80s because nobody seems to have mentioned these anywhere on the internet yet they are a defining feature of school dinners after 1990.

Comment

Working...
                                X