The Good Old Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Good Old Days

This long-running show hosted by Leonard Sachs as the Chairman of the Varieties ran on the BBC from 1953 to 1983. Originating from the historic City Varieties Theatre in Leeds (built in 1865) "The Good Old Days" re-created the atmosphere of the old time Music Hall complete with the audience dressed in period costume. On the show contemporary entertainers, some of them big name, performed songs and sketches in the style of the original music hall artistes.

This clip from 1976 features Eartha Kitt and Edward Woodward. Her performance begins at 9:05 and Edward Woodward's follows:

Re: The Good Old Days

When I was a little girl I used to watch this with my Nan and I SO wanted to be a member of the audience. Leonard Sachs' introductions were brilliant. Bernard Cribbens and Mike Reid were good on that clip. Eartha Kitt seemed totally ill at ease and how lovely to see Edward Woodward singing when he became far better known for his tough guy acting roles.
    "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

How did the audience get those period costumes? Did you write in for tickets, get selected and if you did you also were given a costume by the BBC costume dept?

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
        How did the audience get those period costumes? Did you write in for tickets, get selected and if you did you also were given a costume by the BBC costume dept?
        My understanding is at the height of the show's popularity there was a long waiting list for tickets to the show - I don't know whether it was transmitted live or pre-taped. What's really funny is if you look carefully it seems as if the costume also included a fake mustache for the gents.

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
          My understanding is at the height of the show's popularity there was a long waiting list for tickets to the show - I don't know whether it was transmitted live or pre-taped. What's really funny is if you look carefully it seems as if the costume also included a fake mustache for the gents.

I recall reading that there was a very long waiting list to appear as an audience member.It must have been great fun being at the shows.

Comment

hi J.
            did you ever apply to be in the audience.

i never actually knew edward sang.
            and from this clip he sounds good.

did you know leonard sachs the compère was famous for his alliterative multisyllabic introduction of each act, during which the audience would 'ooh' and 'aah' at each convoluted phrase. He ended each introduction by banging a gavel on his podium.

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
            When I was a little girl I used to watch this with my Nan and I SO wanted to be a member of the audience. Leonard Sachs' introductions were brilliant. Bernard Cribbens and Mike Reid were good on that clip. Eartha Kitt seemed totally ill at ease and how lovely to see Edward Woodward singing when he became far better known for his tough guy acting roles.
            Last edited by darren; 20-04-2012, 12:36.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

some info i found.

The show was first shown on 20th July 1953.
              The Good Old Days was inspired by the success of the Ridgeway's Late Joys at the Players Theatre Club in London, a private members club that ran fortnightly programmes of variety acts in London's West End.
              line ups were.
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              The 50s
              BBC Wednesday 29 December 1954
              Cast Rex Jameson, Tod Slaughter, Bertha Wilmot, Harry Bailey with host Leonard Sachs
              BBC Wednesday 19 September 1956
              Cast Barry Anthony, The Hindley-Taylor Olde Tyme Singers, Jack Daly, The Three Bolandos, Jill Summers, Gilbert and Partner, The Ballet Montmartre, Albert Burdon and Company with host Leonard Sachs
              BBC Saturday 26 December 1959
              Cast Morecambe and Wise, Betty Jumel, Cardew Robinson, Norberti, Smoothey and Layton, Manton Brothers, Patricia Bredin with host Leonard Sachs
              The 60s BBC Sunday 17 April 1960
              Cast The Gaunt Brothers, The Falcons, June Merlin and her doves, Jimmy Gay, Harry Bailey and Nancy and Molly Munks with host Leonard Sachs
              BBC1 Sunday 27 November 1966
              Cast Ted Ray, Reg Varney, Barbara Law, George Chisholm, Eithne Milne, Michael Allport and Company, Ivane and Andre Astor and Les Aguanitos with host Leonard Sachs
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              The 70s
              BBC1 Sunday 16 April 1972 at 7.25 pm
              Cast Eartha Kitt, Arthur Askey, Eira Heath, Neville King, Larry Parker, Barrie Brothers, Terry Lightfoot and His Band, Macardis with host Leonard Sachs
              BBC1 Sunday 13 August 1972 at 7.25 pm
              Cast Rod Hull, Joe Castor, Pat Mooney, Doreen Hermitage, Jan Hunt, Jimmy Webster, Tessie O'Shea, Robert Young, Patsy MacLean with host Leonard Sachs
              BBC1 Sunday 30 March 1973 at 7.25 pm
              Cast Bruce Forsyth, Georgia Brown, Charlie Williams, Julius Nehring, Gerry Atkins, Pigalle Girls with host Leonard Sachs
              BBC1 Friday 8 February 1974 at 8.15 pm
              Cast Roy Castle, Jean Bayliss, Gil Dova, Peter Wallis, Les Aguanitos with host Leonard Sachs
              BBC1 Thursday 25 March 1976 at 9.25 pm
              Cast Larry Grayson, Frank Carson, Margaret Savage, Sheila Mathews, Ted Durante, Peter Gale, Edward Woodward with host Leonard Sachs
              BBC1 Sunday 31 December 1978 at 11.05 pm
              Cast Roy Castle, Dolores Gray, Eira Heath, Michel Arene, Lido Can-Can Girls, Perkano and Christina with host Leonard Sachs
              BBC1 Friday 20 April 1979 at 8.10 pm
              Cast Eleanor McCready, Les Dawson, Sweet Substitute, Peter Hudson, Joan Merrigan, Paul Rhodes, Julia Sutton, Ralph Heid, Eve n Alan with host Leonard Sachs
              The 80s
              BBC1 Wednesday 2 January 1980 at 9.25 pm
              Cast John Inman, Gemma Craven, David Kernan, Bernard Spear, Gino Donati, Michel Arene, Lido Can-Can Girls with host Leonard Sachs
              BBC1 Monday 10 May 1982 at 9.05 pm
              Cast Bernard Cribbins, Lorna Dallas, Barry Cryer, Anna Dawson, Josephine Gordon, Bill Drysdale, Christine Cartwright, Inga-Lise with host Leonard Sachs
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              BBC1 Sunday 2 October 1983 at 8.55 pm
              Cast John Inman, Mary O'Hara, Neville King, Jacquie Toye, Ted Durante, Vince Hill with host Leonard Sachs
              BBC1 Friday 30 December 1983 at 3.50 pm
              Goodbye to the Good Old Days
              Documentary celebrating the longest running TV variety show in the UK, which ended its 30-year run this year. With Roy Hudd, Frankie Vaughan, Les Dawson, Larry Grayson and narrated by Barry Cryer

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                hi J.i never actually knew edward sang.
                and from this clip he sounds good.
                Actually Edward Woodward recorded several albums and I didn't know that Leonard Sachs was the brother of Andrew Sachs of Fawlty Towers fame.

Comment

funny enough i wondered was leonard related to andrew sachs.

sadly i never watched rthis show looking back.
                  well id have been to young when it finished.

but it sure had some great acts on it over the yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    BBC Saturday 26 December 1959
                    Cast Morecambe and Wise, Betty Jumel, Cardew Robinson, Norberti, Smoothey and Layton, Manton Brothers, Patricia Bredin with host Leonard Sachs
                    I would love to see Morecambe & Wise in that particular episode but I'm not sure it even exists anymore because unfortunately, the BBC didn't really start to archive their shows until the late '60s. Among the lost shows are "Running Wild", M&W's first TV show from 1954. I first learned about "The Good Old Days" from a sketch on "The Morecambe & Wise Show" where they made reference to it. In it Ernie is trying to replace Eric with a younger partner and suggests that perhaps Eric should try to get on at "The Good Old Days."

Comment

TGOD was spoofed in Victoria Wood As Seen On TV, when Julie Walters sang a song that sounded period but with the usual Victoria Wood humour.

The Dr Who story The Talons Of Weng Chiang features a very TGOD style music hall, & a Leonard Sachs style MC, ironically not played by him though he did appear in at least one other DW story.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Help! Eartha Kitt appeared in The Good Old Days in the early 1970s. She sang two songs - Ma, he's making eyes at me was the first. But I can't find the title of the delightful second song that she sings? beginning at 10.50 or so on the video available on this site. Thanks
                        Last edited by jim; 05-01-2013, 12:57.

Comment

They should bring this show back!.........there's so much rubbish on tv now and a lot of people look to bbc4 for decent entertainment, particularly on a Friday night when they show really good music documentaries etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jim View Post
                            Help! Eartha Kitt appeared in The Good Old Days in the early 1970s. She sang two songs - Ma, he's making eyes at me was the first. But I can't find the title of the delightful second song that she sings? beginning at 10.50 or so on the video available on this site. Thanks
                            Jim,

I tried to reply to your PM but I'm not sure if it went through. Trying to find the title of the second song has been a bit of a poser for me too but here's the lyrics.

Lovers sitting, waiting, shy
                            As lovers often will
                            Waiting for that hour of bliss
                            When all the house is still

Then her Mama went out
                            La da da da da da da dee
                            And then her Papa went out
                            La da da da da da da dee
                            She and her beau stayed home
                            Two of them on their own
                            Waiting to be, longing to be alone

Nobody else about
                            La da da da da da da dee
                            Then his cigar went out
                            La da da da da da da dee
                            Nobody else about
                            And then the lights went out
                            Da da da da da da da da da de

Comment

I remember a girl from my class at primary school being in the audience. I recall that it was often groups that booked to go, like the WI, a church, or in my school Friend the Lions. I think then the organisation they went with had the responsibility of hiring costumes from a costumers. Think it must have been a great atmosphere.
                              Does anyone know if it still goes on?

Comment

Working...
                              X