Sunday School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sunday School

Regarding the kids attending the Messy Church closest to us; they are all probably mostly pre-teens, a few in their early teens, but none older. Like many churches, they have trouble holding onto them once they hit their early-teens.

Comment

The chapel I went to, Sunday School was in the afternoon. I can't remember the time it started, but we would go there for normal service then after the first hymn and prayer we would go downstairs to be taught about the Bible. Has we got a little older, we went into groups with a "teacher" and read verses from the Bible. Then when we were regarded has old enough, we would just attend the full service. Attendances at Sunday Schools fell dramatically towards the beginning of the 1980s.

Has a footnote, I have an interest in Industrial and Social history. When I'm out on one of my walkabouts "exploring the town", I occasionally come across a church or chapel with a building next to it. On a rare occasion, there is sometimes an inscription on the stonework reading Sunday School. Most of these buildings are now used has storerooms, if the church/chapel is still going, or more likely converted to something else. I stand back for a moment and wonder about the children that attended Sunday School in years gone by, what become of them? And what would their memories be?
      Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

When did the messy church start.

Is this why they have the messy church to try t hold onto kids for longer.

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
        regarding the kids attending the messy church closest to us; they are all probably mostly pre-teens, a few in their early teens, but none older. Like many churches, they have trouble holding onto them once they hit their early-teens.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
          Regarding the kids attending the Messy Church closest to us; they are all probably mostly pre-teens, a few in their early teens, but none older. Like many churches, they have trouble holding onto them once they hit their early-teens.
          Various people I know say that they don't know whether to laugh or cry that churches have had to resort to holding Messy Church sessions in order to attract kids.

It's noteworthy that more Muslim kids in Britain now attend religious Sunday schools than Christian kids do.

Comment

Working...
          X