Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Bus

Default School Bus

So who lived out in the villages like I did and had to get the school bus every morning? This was back in the 1970s and the ones our school used were two-tone blue 'Premier Travel' coaches. I always remember when a brand new 'P' reg one turned up one morning in 1976. We thought we were the bee's knees!

sandie76 Guest

Default Re: School Bus

I stayed in town, so had to walk to school. Always thought it would be so cool to travel to school on the bus. How wrong was I, as I got to one day as was going to a friend's house, who stayed outside of town. Never again, was a nightmare with kids shouting and throwing stuff. Was so glad I walked after that!

samr here sandie.
    i went on the bus a few times.
    a nightmare.
    kids shouting and fighting pushing each other swearing.
    i felt so sorry for the driver.must ne a nightmare being a bus driver for school kids.
    after that ordeal i walked all the time.

sandie76 Guest

Yeah always felt sorry for the drivers. Those buses were too over-crowded too, that would never be allowed these days.

Quote Originally Posted by sandie76 View Post
    Yeah always felt sorry for the drivers. Those buses were too over-crowded too, that would never be allowed these days.
    from what its not much better.
    i think back then it was no more than 2 pupils to a seat.
    something like thirty seats.

back in school it was like 3 per seat.

not exactly a good advertfor health and safety.

I didn't live in a village but they put a "Special" bus on the route past my school to avoid all the schoolkids having to get the "normal" bus. It was invariably a single decker,shared between the boys and girls school, so very crowded and if you missed that one the "normal" bus driver sometimes wouldn't let you on because "You've got your own bus!" It was okay once you got further up the school but extremely intimidating when you were a new pupil.
    "She moves in such an exciting world!"

I never had to catch a school bus as all my schools were within 2 miles of home, it made me kind of jealous sometimes I think for some strange reason. My secondary school was split site and in my first 2 years the school was just about far away to justify getting on the TMS (Trimdon Muck Shifter) public bus for the mile or so journey at a cost of about 8p.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Yes it was 5p on the school bus as I remember. At lunchtime we used to nip down to the precinct (against the rules) and buy a bag of chips for 12p.
    "She moves in such an exciting world!"

I lived close to all my schools so never had to get the bus, but my high school had two 'scholars' buses that came. They always used the knackiest, oldest double deckers so it wouldn't matter if they got wrecked inside (which they did) and I lways wondered if the drivers drew straws for the scholars shift, because it looked like living hell on board!
    1976 Vintage

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqueline View Post
    I didn't live in a village but they put a "Special" bus on the route past my school to avoid all the schoolkids having to get the "normal" bus. It was invariably a single decker,shared between the boys and girls school, so very crowded and if you missed that one the "normal" bus driver sometimes wouldn't let you on because "You've got your own bus!" It was okay once you got further up the school but extremely intimidating when you were a new pupil.
    i remember special buses.

where the kids better behaved on this bus J.

bit unfair if u got the special bus they would not let u on the normal bus.