School Bus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Bus

So who lived out in the villages like I did and had to get the school bus every morning? This was back in the 1970s and the ones our school used were two-tone blue 'Premier Travel' coaches. I always remember when a brand new 'P' reg one turned up one morning in 1976. We thought we were the bee's knees!

Re: School Bus

I stayed in town, so had to walk to school. Always thought it would be so cool to travel to school on the bus. How wrong was I, as I got to one day as was going to a friend's house, who stayed outside of town. Never again, was a nightmare with kids shouting and throwing stuff. Was so glad I walked after that!

Comment

samr here sandie.
      i went on the bus a few times.
      a nightmare.
      kids shouting and fighting pushing each other swearing.
      i felt so sorry for the driver.must ne a nightmare being a bus driver for school kids.
      after that ordeal i walked all the time.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Yeah always felt sorry for the drivers. Those buses were too over-crowded too, that would never be allowed these days.

Comment

Originally posted by sandie76 View Post
          Yeah always felt sorry for the drivers. Those buses were too over-crowded too, that would never be allowed these days.
          from what its not much better.
          i think back then it was no more than 2 pupils to a seat.
          something like thirty seats.

back in school it was like 3 per seat.

not exactly a good advertfor health and safety.

Comment

I didn't live in a village but they put a "Special" bus on the route past my school to avoid all the schoolkids having to get the "normal" bus. It was invariably a single decker,shared between the boys and girls school, so very crowded and if you missed that one the "normal" bus driver sometimes wouldn't let you on because "You've got your own bus!" It was okay once you got further up the school but extremely intimidating when you were a new pupil.
            "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I never had to catch a school bus as all my schools were within 2 miles of home, it made me kind of jealous sometimes I think for some strange reason. My secondary school was split site and in my first 2 years the school was just about far away to justify getting on the TMS (Trimdon Muck Shifter) public bus for the mile or so journey at a cost of about 8p.
              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Yes it was 5p on the school bus as I remember. At lunchtime we used to nip down to the precinct (against the rules) and buy a bag of chips for 12p.
                "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I lived close to all my schools so never had to get the bus, but my high school had two 'scholars' buses that came. They always used the knackiest, oldest double deckers so it wouldn't matter if they got wrecked inside (which they did) and I lways wondered if the drivers drew straws for the scholars shift, because it looked like living hell on board!
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
                    I didn't live in a village but they put a "Special" bus on the route past my school to avoid all the schoolkids having to get the "normal" bus. It was invariably a single decker,shared between the boys and girls school, so very crowded and if you missed that one the "normal" bus driver sometimes wouldn't let you on because "You've got your own bus!" It was okay once you got further up the school but extremely intimidating when you were a new pupil.
                    i remember special buses.

where the kids better behaved on this bus J.

bit unfair if u got the special bus they would not let u on the normal bus.

Comment

Our school buses were all single-deckers too, probably more like coaches, now I think about it. I did occasionally get the "normal" bus if I was running late. That was especially interesting when it was air-rifle club day! Teenage boys with air-rifles on public transport! Wouldn't be allowed today...I hope!

Comment

Originally posted by GreenKnight View Post
                        Our school buses were all single-deckers too, probably more like coaches, now I think about it. I did occasionally get the "normal" bus if I was running late. That was especially interesting when it was air-rifle club day! Teenage boys with air-rifles on public transport! Wouldn't be allowed today...I hope!
                        you are correst.
                        health and safety would soon kick in.

although air rifles are dangerous and cause a bit of an injury.
                        well getting on a schools dangerous with all those rowdy kids.
                        kids tripping each other up when walking to get a seat,not that anyone sat down.

Comment

I used to live in Hesketh Bank early 70's between Preston & Southport and the first secondary school I attended was Tarleton High School which I walked to but after a six months break as a resident in a 'disturbed children's' home (I was deemed to be a special needs register type of kid lol) I changed to Bishop Rawestone Secondary School at Croston near Chorley. This entailed one bus to Tarleton changing to the Chorley bus though by the time the first bus got to Tarleton the Chorley bus had sometimes already left. So I then would hitch-hike to school with Sharon. We were the only two from Hesketh Bank who went to Bishop Rawestone; the rest attended Tarelton High. School kick-off was 9am but hitching we would arrive around ten depending on lifts. Hitch-hiking aged eleven probably wasn't sensible back then but hey ho needs must lol

Sharon & I were sort of a couple as much as you can be as eleven year olds. We did snog but we had not progressed to more than that lol
                          sigpic
                          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Ah yes, the stinking school bus.

Perfect way to send your child to a Dickensian school.

This decrepit bus would turn up day in day out come rain or shine. Even in the rarest of occasions when we had heavy snow it still turned up whilst everybody else had a day off.

It was always the last to leave in the evening when we were finally released.

Truely awful. This miserbale junk yard from Tappins was so small not all the pupils even got seats (if indeed the moth eaten benches could be described thus) and the bigger boys crushed the smaller ones 3 to a seat.

This pathetic vehicle together with it's with equally irasible driver would take an hour to go the 7 miles to what I called the dump.

Nowadays the thing would have been condemned and sent to a scrap yard !

Comment

We had to catch a regular bus for about four miles into the city bus station, and then from there get the school bus for the three miles or so to school.

School buses were a bit of a nightmare... but hey, it was a social thing too... whole groups of friends were defined by which buses they went on to which different areas...

Needless to say, we did a lot of hanging out at the bus station.

Comment

Working...
                              X