Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oldest, youngest, middle or only child? Where do you fit and how did it shape you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest, youngest, middle or only child? Where do you fit and how did it shape you?

I'm an only child and I've always wondered what it would be like to have brothers or sisters.

I never missed having them when I was young. I had lots of friends and never felt lonely, but then again I've always been the sort of person who likes to spend a lot of time alone. I'm not sure whether that is a result of being an only child or whether it's just me.
    1976 Vintage

Re: Oldest, youngest, middle or only child? Where do you fit and how did it shape you

I'm one of 5 and 4th in line.
    Two older brothers, one older sister and my 'little' brother Dan, though he's 6' tall these days!
    I loved being one of 5 and sometimes 6 as my parents fostered.
    I couldn't imagine a childhood with out them.

We fitted into two groups, the old'uns and me and my brother were the young'uns . The older had to take turns looking out for us young'uns
    They probably resented it a bit but My brother and I loved it
    Heather

Comment

Re: Oldest, youngest, middle or only child? Where do you fit and how did it shape you

Youngest child. And I think I was a bit spoilt, because I'm way younger than my brother and sister. As my dad wasn't around for most of my childhood, my brother (12 years older) kind of stepped in a bit... I mean, he would only have been 19, but when I was 7 he seemed so wise and knew absolutely everything.

My sister (8 years older) was like a kindly play organiser.

I think I might have been more competitive with them if they'd been nearer my own age.

Comment

I've got a brother 2 years older than me, & a sister who's 6 years younger.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I'm the eldest of four. I have been pretty much OK with that over the years, but often wonder what it would have been like to have an older brother or sister.

Comment

I am an only child too! (and I am not spoilt!) And like you trickee didnt feel alone, always kept myself busy if I wasn't on a shed roof I was up a tree! But I would have loved an older Brother! (especially now)

It must be great to have other kids in the house, where you all get on.

Very interesting subject this, some Brothers and Sisters are inseperable, yet some can't stand the sight of each other and fall out like cat and dog!

Comment

Only child here. I don't mind being alone at all. Spent weeks alone sometimes not talking to anyone, and I've spent time away working alone and that never really bothered me either. I don't like having people over for long durations, and peoples kids drive me mental. On the other hand my Dad was part of a big family and when he was alone he'd go to extreme lengths to quell boredom when being alone.

Comment

I handle being alone well too! At least you dont fall out with anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                  I don't like having people over for long durations, and peoples kids drive me mental.
                  Same with me. I like a good get together but find houses full of raucous people very wearing and always tend to withdraw into myself after a while. I'm just not used to it and don't like it.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

i have no kids and i do not want any.
                    my oder brother comes to visit with his daughters but once they start crying it really annoys me.
                    im just not a kids bay person.

well tricky ive 2 younger and one older brother and i like my own company.
                    not good in groups of people i do not know.

a bit shy i can be.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I've got an older sister, year & half older than me. She did get more attention I think and was always with my Mum. I wasn't really close to either of my parents, more Mum than my Dad if I'm honest.

I did prefer my own company alot too, enjoyed playing on my own and was quite shy. I still like my own company, although not easy with a 6yo and a baby at the moment.

Comment

I too am the one and only. I was a very sociable child but began to prefer my own company in my early teens (probably because I found quite a lot of others around the same age annoying). These days time to myself is at a premium. My Wife works shifts so if she was working late or on nights I used to go to the cinema. I can't do that now because I spend most of my spare time with my daughter which I love and wouldn't change for the world.. I do sometimes try and watch the odd film at night but usually fall asleep on the sofa. I thought you were supposed to need less sleep as you got older.
                        "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

im the youngest of four brothers, and i wouldnt swap any of them for the world, my childhood years were the 60s/70s, an interesting time living in a house full of lads what with girlfriends, motor bikes,and the music, nothing but good memories!

Comment

Working...
                          X