Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: castlemaine XXXX

g day mate

the fosters we get here is it the same only we add something to it.

why are other aussie beers like tooheys not exported to the uk.
    ik it might not sell well bit its worth a try surely.

right im off to the dunny.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Re: castlemaine XXXX

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
      XXXX is brewed by Castlemaine Perkins, they're located here in Queensland (the brewery is across the river from my place so on some days if the wind is in the right direction you can smell the hops).

XXXX is quite popular here (XXXX Gold seems the tradies favourite) and is stronger than the UK licensed brew, although Fosters isn't popular at all. The Fosters in the UK tastes different to the one we get here and is much nicer.
      You're hard pushed to find it in Bottle Shops (offys) and you'd never find it in a pub on tap, it's mainly Carlton Draught, XXXX Gold, Pure Blonde, VB, Tooheys (New, Extra Dry, Extra Cold), Stella and sometimes Heineken.
      Stella tastes better here than in the UK (where I wouldn't touch it) but that's maybe because it's competing against Aussie Beers which are generally quite rough.
      When I lived in the UK one of our locals did VB in cans, they were imported as the Aussie ones are called "Victoria Bitter" whereas the UK ones are "Victoria Beer" - because we use different words for the same thing.

As someone else mentioned, it does depend upon which state you're in for which is popular, people seem to bat for their local brands a lot more.

As for glass sizes, different states have different names for them. Personally I always ask for a pint, but in QLD you can have Pots (the small ones) or Schooners. In other states the small (half pint) glass is a middy and some do poncey names like Schmiddy for something inbetween.

If you're buying a "carton" (24 bottles) then the standard is Stubbies (375ml - same size as "tinnies"), you can buy individual bottles called "tallies" or "long necks" (750ml) too, although these aren't as popular. The idea being that the beers stay in the fridge or "esky" to stay cold, so having a smaller bottle in your hand means it doesn't get as warm as a big bottle or "tinny" as you go get a cold one when it's gone.
      If you want a really cold tinnie, STICK IT IN THE FREEZER for a few hours!!
      WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Working...
      X